*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

edit: Although when we say HD remakes, are we talking like the original Halo 1 on 360 where all the assets etc were redone? I can't think of many like that other than just the same games running at higher res's. I rather their resources were spent making new things :)

I've always taken the HD Collections like Silent Hill, Jak & Daxter, etc. to be more along the lines of a remaster than a remake, because a remake sounds more like a term you'd use for the treatment Halo Anniversary received. But some do enter a kind of "gray" area with the likes of Kingdom Hearts, Wind Waker and FFX where they have rebuilt portions of the games, changed aging mechanics, or added new features in. Then again there are plain awful ports like Splinter Cell where nothing noticeable was really done but bring it to a current gen system...

I agree, i would definatly play the last of us again if it was done on next gen...Can you imagine it with something like the frostbite engine graphics wise.

That's not how HD remakes have worked in the past though, in the vast majority of cases. They simply increase the render resolution, framerate and clean up the textures.

Eh they are more likely to keep with a gen for longer to eek out the investment made in development. Subsequent releases of Slims etc are money saving changes for them. What you suggest is the opposite of what they are now doing...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Money saving you say? The failure rates on super slims are higher than the original phat and normal slim model lol.

I'm sure the investment made in development is next to nothing when you take into account sales after just 4-5 years which would be a good time before the next consoles imo. 8 years has been far too long, whilst good games were still released at this late stage, the age of the consoles certainly showed, especially if you've become accustomed to high end PC gaming.

I would want to get PS4 but how to play PS3 games or how will PS+ work?

No backwards compatibility on launch, you'd have to wait for gaikai but nobody knows when or how well it will work. PS+ works the same but you won't be able to play the PS3 games on your PS4.

Money saving you say? The failure rates on super slims are higher than the original phat and normal slim model lol.

I'm sure the investment made in development is next to nothing when you take into account sales after just 4-5 years which would be a good time before the next consoles imo. 8 years has been far too long, whilst good games were still released at this late stage, the age of the consoles certainly showed, especially if you've become accustomed to high end PC gaming.
But neither of your points lends itself to reasoning why Sony/MS would look to shorten console lifespan, especially when those re-released models are priced to produce a net profit and delay any investment into the next generation and increase the period of time those consoles are actually profitable without the consideration of attachment rates.

Last edited:
Has anybody pre-ordered from simply games? I did and they said my solo PS4 is no longer available and I need to buy a 'bundle' which isnt even an official one at £414. Buy the bundle of cancel my order are their options. People are furious.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ur-pre-ordered-ps4-now-costs-at-least-65-more

That's disgusting. But the cynic in me says, will it bother/affect simplygames? Probably not. Typical customer service of some companies these days.

Quick question, any USB headset should work ok with the ps4 yeah? I seem to have miss placed my bluetooth one for ps3 (hate the thing anyway) so was thinking I might pick up a decent USB set to use now and then with the ps4

But neither of your points lends itself to reasoning why Sony/MS would look to shorten console lifespan, especially when those re-released models are priced to produce a net profit and delay any investment into the next generation and increase the period of time those consoles are actually profitable without the consideration of attachment rates.

Well I'd hope they'd do it just to advance console gaming a little quicker, but I see your point if they can milk the old ones as much as possible, seems once again it's us the consumer who are left disappointed. The new consoles will be a breath of fresh air to console only gamers but for the majority here who have a decent spec gaming PC they aren't exactly gonna wow you.

Honestly there needs to be a disconnect between consoles and PC as we just wont see the days long ago when consoles basically used bleeding edge custom PC parts and forced the platform holder to sell consoles at a considerable loss hoping that attachment rates were high enough to cover those losses. Both Sony and MS dont have the stomach for that and seemingly aware that producing a console that is near to break even as possible at launch is pragmatic - as youve just inferred, anything is better than nothing to console owners and will still be bought/hyped etc...

The best news for PC owners is that 'porting' might become as easy as possible or indeed it might just end up being a set of LODs to be built on a engine coded using a platform agnostic API. And people wonder why AMD announced Mantle around the same time as the new consoles they power launch ;)

Back
Top Bottom