*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
Wonder if you could connect a usb hardrive and play movies via the PS4?

You could stream to the PS3, I would be surprised if they'd removed that functionality. I think if you set your file structure up correctly you could play videos, music, images etc from an external drive on the PS3 as well, although I never tried it.

Soldato
The PS4's lack of online requirements or used games DRM has been cause for celebration for many, but for me, as someone who lives in neither the US or Japan, one thing was even more important. Whether the PS4 was, like its predecessor, region-free.

According to SCE boss Shuhei Yoshida, it is.

Yes.

http://kotaku.com/the-playstation-4-is-region-free-512543811

While Sony might be riding on a wave of good publicity from its announcements at E3, Twitter has also been abuzz from comments made by the president of Sony Worldwide Studios, Shuhei Yoshida, who said that the console would be region free.

It was a simple tweet, but those are often the best: “And yes, PS4 is region free,” he said. This prompted a flurry of compliments from fans, all suggesting that the PS4 had dominated the E3 showing and would do so when the console is launched during the Christmas period this year.
However he wasn’t done yet. One final announcement came before a he spent a while responding to compliments on his company’s business practices. He said, “And yes, PS4′s HDD is upgradeable like PS3.” This is another feature that Microsoft’s Xbox One won’t support (internally at least, you can still buy more external storage, like the Wii U) giving Sony’s Ps4 another leg up.

http://www.kitguru.net/software/gam...ent-confirms-ps4-region-free-upgradeable-hdd/

Last edited:
Caporegime
Does that mean we can import a US model cheaper?

imo it's not worth doing so

first of all SOGA covers you for 5-6 years for stuff like this when bought from a UK retailer, as well as having the normal warranty, etc. i know this because i got £55 for my ps3 which failed 5 years and 10 months after i bought it from the retailer, without an engineers report, if i had a report they would have given me £110 which is the cost of a refurb from sony when a console fails outwith normal warranty.

also you need to remember voltages are different, so you need a converter, again another added expense on top of the console and they won't be 100% efficient, etc, etc so over time it will cost more to run, etc.

third is shipping, getting this shipped will cost a lot of money, especially if you want it packaged and insured properly. a lot cheaper to buy one on holiday and bring it back with you, but then you need to declare it at customs, etc.

basically your much better off just paying the extra £50 and buying it here, especially since it's only £349 in the first place.

also the US price of $399 probably does not include sales tax which is added at the till. so the real price of the console in the US and Canada is actually a lot more.

Associate
Some people don't realise that taxes are added on to the US model so it's not actually $399. Sales tax, import taxes, VAT all adds up and makes it barely cheaper than buying one domestically.

Caporegime
Not caught up with the thread yet but lets see how many OcUKers hands magically start to work fine on the PS controllers as they decide to adbandon ship :p

I think this week MS have earnt the $ back - thoughts?

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
As above, I'd suggest that it's not worth the hassle of importing a US model. Warranty and power issues, plus in most states you'll have 10% sales tax added at the till (except New Hampshire, I believe), and you should pay customs on reentering the UK.

Caporegime
imo it's not worth doing so

first of all SOGA covers you for 5-6 years for stuff like this when bought from a UK retailer, as well as having the normal warranty, etc. i know this because i got £55 for my ps3 which failed 5 years and 10 months after i bought it from the retailer, without an engineers report, if i had a report they would have given me £110 which is the cost of a refurb from sony when a console fails outwith normal warranty.

also you need to remember voltages are different, so you need a converter, again another added expense on top of the console and they won't be 100% efficient, etc, etc so over time it will cost more to run, etc.

third is shipping, getting this shipped will cost a lot of money, especially if you want it packaged and insured properly. a lot cheaper to buy one on holiday and bring it back with you, but then you need to declare it at customs, etc.

basically your much better off just paying the extra £50 and buying it here, especially since it's only £349 in the first place.

also the US price of $399 probably does not include sales tax which is added at the till. so the real price of the console in the US and Canada is actually a lot more.

fair enough. time to hunt for some discount codes instead then ;) want to get this for as close to £300 as humanly possible.

in fact I might just wait till 2014. MGS5, GTA5 will hopefully both be on PC. maybe...

Back
Top Bottom