*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
any proof?

as i imagine with the specs being so high, and MS launching theirs for more money with lower specs, something doesn't add up.

even if kinect costs around £50 to manufacture, it still doesn't add up.

In general terms, the specs aren't particularly high, but they are a massive step up compared to previous consoles, which is where it really matters.

Aside from that, there is actually very little costly hardware in them. PCBs are pretty cheap to make, BR drives will be very cheap now too, as will be the power supply.

The costly things will be the GPU and CPU, but they're both quite small, and then the GDDR5.

The GPU's cost should be abound the $30-40 mark, more like $30 due to the volume they will be made in, but a 200mm² GPU at 28nm would cost around $40 per chip to fab.

CPU shouldn't cost much more either, the only think I'm not particularly sure on is the cost of the GDDR5, but realistically it's not going to be mega money, I'd imagine around the $50-60 mark.

With it being an APU, they can cut down on PCB costs too, so won't need an elaborate PCB, I'd imagine that'd cost <$10.

:confused:

You think customers only ever pay for products based on their cost of construction?

Well I didn't say that...

I'm talking about justifications of prices based on included extras that not everyone will see value in.

So if a Kinect sold by itself at say, $100, not everyone is going to see $100's value in a console bundle with a Kinect.

Microsoft are hoping that people will perceive the Xbox has being more valuable, due to Kinect, and have raised the price accordingly.

As above, that's the issue. It's a risky move including something like that and then raising the price "accordingly" because not everyone is going to see the value in it and will just see the big price and not like it.

Caporegime
So, where to pre order from........That is the question.

order it from wherever doesn't take your money until dispatch, one order per retailer.

wait til you receive the first one in your hands, then cancel any orders waiting for dispatch.

if you receive more than one, sell on gumtree for £600 = free console

Associate
This is the first console I've ever pre-ordered (I usually wait for a hardware refresh).

I really want to put my money where my mouth is with regards to DRM, region locking etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not caught up with the thread yet but lets see how many OcUKers hands magically start to work fine on the PS controllers as they decide to adbandon ship :p

I think this week MS have earnt the $ back - thoughts?

ps3ud0 :cool:

Quite a few I'd say:p, also plenty of parents out there that'll buy their kids a PS4 as it is cheaper, parents see the cost and go I'm not paying that, I'll get the cheaper one.

Actually that could be BS lol but moving on.

Do like the region free and HD statement. Sony have really listerned and given gamers what they want. How can this now not go down well with core gamers. It'll only be die hard xbox gamers that'll defend the life out of the xbox one.

Once xbox one reaches a cheaper price and the dust settles, would sure like to have a go on Forza 5 though..

Soldato
Not caught up with the thread yet but lets see how many OcUKers hands magically start to work fine on the PS controllers as they decide to adbandon ship :p

I think this week MS have earnt the $ back - thoughts?

ps3ud0 :cool:

Or how many decide paying to play online is actually pretty reasonable :cool:

I thought the PS4 pad was redesigned in any case?

Soldato
The new PS4 controller is actually fairly different to the PS3 one... I don't really know how people can already say they are sure they will dislike it.

Especially when it's a completely different size and shape lol...

Last edited:
Soldato
The new PS4 controller is actually fairly different to the PS3 one... I don't really know how people can already say they are sure they will dislike it.

Especially when it's a completely different size lol...

I'm sure it'll be fine. I like the new xbox one controller as well. I'm hoping it works on PC.

Never disliked the DS3, but I did prefer the 360 controller if I was playing a FPS. Driving games and fighting games on a DS3 seemed better to me.

The new DS4 (is it called that?) looks bigger and that could work to its favour.

Who knows, but it looks fine.

Soldato
Or how many decide paying to play online is actually pretty reasonable :cool:

I thought the PS4 pad was redesigned in any case?

Those who pay for PS+ (myself included) will not be that bothered... There'll be a few that would have complained but now say its fine, most will accept its the way its now got to be, and some will never play online and won't pay the fee at all.

Least you can still use streaming services PS+ or not..!! Which is a good and wise move by Sony. MS were never being fair expecting you to have a GOLD account to watch Sky Go or Netflix, they are sub services already.

Back
Top Bottom