*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
Yeah as good as indie games can be there not for everyone. The only ones I've loved has been Contrast, Dead Nation and the best till last; Outlast.

Indie isn't a genre and as such can't actually be categorised in any meaningful way outside of the developer not being beholden to a publisher.

Caporegime
Bit embarrassing when I see people think that somehow being an indie game makes them less of a game somehow - lets just look at the quality/creativity of the AAA that came out this year ;) - one day youll realise such an attitude is why we gamers dont get good things :p

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
Bit embarrassing when I see people think that somehow being an indie game makes them less of a game somehow - lets just look at the quality/creativity of the AAA that came out this year ;) - one day youll realise such an attitude is why we gamers dont get good things :p

You mean you don't just want sequels and remastered versions of games?!

:p

Soldato
You're always banging that indie drum ps3ud0 :p

To be fair, quite a lot of it is dross, or just not my cup of tea (Doki-Doki Universe? Just no). But then quite a lot of big publisher releases are dross, too. I tend to take what I like. Though admittedly most of what I try comes via the PS+ sub. I do give them all a go but the ones I do end up liking are very thin on the ground - Binding of Isaac for example is great.

Caporegime
Always gonna bang it - where the talent for future AAA titles comes from ultimately and while AAA development costs skyrockets publishers are more likely to go with less creative titles and more sure-fire hits just to make sure their profit margins are met (I cant wait for the $200 Assassins Creed for kids game myself :p)

Theres plenty of dross in AAA, just look at The Crew :p - I agree theres much more in indies but having the attitude some have here is kinda stupid...

Soldato
I tend to think of indies (perhaps wrongly) as low budget. To me low budget usually works against making a good game. I respect everyone's different but to me I get the most enjoyment from AA/AAA nine times out of ten. Of course there is the odd exception but let's be honest we haven't bought a 350 pound box for really low budget games... there just icing on the cake for those that like them.

Caporegime
I tend to think of indies (perhaps wrongly) as low budget. To me low budget usually works against making a good game. I respect everyone's different but to me I get the most enjoyment from AA/AAA nine times out of ten. Of course there is the odd exception but let's be honest we haven't bought a 350 pound box for really low budget games... there just icing on the cake for those that like them.
The difference is I didnt buy it for crap like COD or Assassins Creed sequels

Soldato
The difference is I didnt buy it for crap like COD or Assassins Creed sequels

Yeah don't get me wrong the generic AAA template include everything for everyone IS NOT good IMO.

I personally find the sweet spot to be AA games with enough money to make an in depth experience but not enough that it has to sell millions of units and appeal to everybody. There's the odd exception AAA games though.. Like Fallout, GTA 5 etc :).

Soldato

Definitely wrongly. CD Projekt (The Witcher series, Good Old Games) are "Indie", for example.

They obviously aren't the rule, and a lot of indie developers ARE low budget because of the issues with securing funds, but there are plenty of developers that aren't tiny bed room sort of coders.

Oddworld Inhabitants are indie, and better for it too.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Graphics are one element no more or less important that anything else. Not everything has to be benchmark or even above average but poor graphics take away from what any game is trying to achieve (escapism).

They really mean almost nothing to me. I don't know if this is because I prefer competitive multi player games or the era of console gaming I grew up in but I really don't care in the slightest.

The first 3D games I played such as Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time are as good as I need them to be graphics wise.

Soldato
Definitely wrongly. CD Projekt (The Witcher series, Good Old Games) are "Indie", for example.

They obviously aren't the rule, and a lot of indie developers ARE low budget because of the issues with securing funds, but there are plenty of developers that aren't tiny bed room sort of coders.

Oddworld Inhabitants are indie, and better for it too.

If you want to class CD Project as an Indy developer maybe using that strict definition but there's no way The Witcher series can be described as anything less than AAA games. Which is the distinction I was making between Indy games on the PSN vs AA/AAA games :).

Back
Top Bottom