*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Caporegime
OP
I tried a few including sshd and ssd's.

I found a 7200rpm drive gives the best consistent results. An SSD works well but it slows down considerably over time. The SSHD works ok but once you have a few games on the go at once it suffers.

The 7200rpm gives a decent boost in all situations and is the cheapest.

You seem to have only written the advantages of a 7200rpm drive yet the disadvantages of the others.

A 7200rpm drive will produce the most heat which may or may not cause issues depending on your room temperature, how enclosed your console is, etc. It may also shorten it's lifespan or the lifespan of other components around it, etc.

the best drive IMO is a SSHD, that truly gives the best of both worlds, speed, low cost, low heat output.

Soldato
The SSHD will only offer advantages if you run the same game over and over. If you switch about games the performance drops off especially in the bigger games. They generally only have an 8GB buffer so game data over 8GB and swapping to a new game means you are getting the performance of the 5200rpm drive.

Heat and Temp on a modern 7200rpm drive is just not a problem tbh. I have a 7200rpm 2.5" in my PC as a download drive so it's in constant use and it barely gets warm. When I had it in the PS4 it still never got hot or caused any issues.

As I said for the best all round performance gain a 7200rpm offers the best value and experience, You get a consistent boost all of the time. I have all three so basing my opinion on trying them all.

Caporegime
As if the heat generated from a HDD is going to produce any negative effects on a console whatsoever, not to mention Digital Foundry finding no difference in GTA V performance when using an SSD instead of a mechanical drive.

Soldato
As if the heat generated from a HDD is going to produce any negative effects on a console whatsoever, not to mention Digital Foundry finding no difference in GTA V performance when using an SSD instead of a mechanical drive.

I have a Samsung 1TB Evo in my PS4 and at first it was a bit quicker but now after a few months and over 700GB of data on it I doubt it's any quicker at all tbh.

Soldato
Are there stats anywhere that state degradation in performance of the SSHD and how a 7200 runs? It's all well and good claiming what is the best option, but if it's just an opinion rather than actual information I'd be interested to know exactly.

Soldato
I have all 3 drives so have tried all 3 so my opinion is based on that. I have a 1tb SSD in mine at the moment but I would not recommend using one in a PS4 as I have seen very noticeable performance drops since it has been in a while and filled up.

Tbh either a SSHD or 7200rpm gives a gain so either is going to do the job. It's just with the SSHD you are relying on a rather small 8GB to give you all your gains. When this runs out or is not in use its just a rather slow 5200rpm drive.

Using a 7200rpm drive is plug and play and gains all of the time albeit slightly less than when the SSHD is using its 8GB buffer or when an SSD is first installed.

But if I was buying a drive for PS4 now I would get a 2TB drive as I can see my 1tb being full soon especially as every game is installed fully.

Associate
Guys - new PS4 owner here. Is there any kind of download management tool? Yesterday I was installing multiple Lego demos to play later with my boy but it was caning my connection for my PC - I can't see anywhere where you can queue/pause etc.? Seems pretty fundamental...

Associate
Hopefully Sony hurry up and give the PS4 a backup & restore function so I can shift my 1TB SSHD out of my PS3 and into my PS4 where I'll get the most benefit from it. Should have done it from the start really.

Yeah this is needed tbh.

I've just been through the rather slow process of migrating from the original 500gb drive to a 2tb.

Went without a hitch, apart from some faffing around with Diablo 3, but it's slow going.
Downloading all the digital stuff, installing all the games from disc again and then waiting for all the updates... Took me pretty much a full day to be back 'as was'.

A backup and restore would have taken a fraction of the time.

Associate
Guys - new PS4 owner here. Is there any kind of download management tool? Yesterday I was installing multiple Lego demos to play later with my boy but it was caning my connection for my PC - I can't see anywhere where you can queue/pause etc.? Seems pretty fundamental...

Not sure you can queue the downloads but you can pause ones you don't want to start yet

Notifications bubble > downloads > select download and hit options

Soldato
Does anyone know the limits for ps+ cloud storage. I've now hit 1.3 gb. I intend to get a 2 tb drive and wanted to know if I can trust the cloud storage has all my saves, or should just save them all to usb storage?

Soldato
It's 1GB each for PS3, PS4 and Vita.

Wow, well I've now just shot that limit on ps4, what with game saves reaching 155mb for drive club... crazy. I'll put them on usb stick instead when I swap the drive out..

means ps+ cloud storage for ps4 has just become useless for me it seems... Sony need to up the limit asap ...

Soldato
Did you not get any errors about the space being full or anything?

I did, but deleted a shed load of old ps3 saves.. then ps4 worked fine again, does the 1 gb limit cross over, so can or does the system use free space if I've not used ps3 storage?

I've noticed 500gb hard drive not big enough, but worse yet ps4 saves are fairly large... im up to 1.3 gb for ps4 saves. it's totally crazy..

Back
Top Bottom