*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
I bet the families of the employees that were called in to work on Christmas day to resolve the issues really appreciated this attack too.

It annoys most people on here(The big kids ;)) but its a really ####ed up thing to do on Christmas day for the kids.

Its even more annoying that they have benefited from it too. £300k of vouchers. Makes them nothing more than petty criminals.

I do hope they get caught. Image all the frustrated prisoners who had their playstation and xbox online play interupted :p

They will get some serious BOT action in there. No excuses for the pun ;)

Soldato
Sony needs to step up the security now

Like the other guys state its not a security issue. Its just a denial of service attack which prevents people from using the servers due to high traffic.

Its internet facing which means it is always going to be a problem. As stated they could invest in more hardware to deal with the traffic but it could still be attacked in the same way, just it would take more traffic, but that would just be another notch on the bed for these teen kiddie scripters.

I think the bigger issue is how long it takes Sony to recover from these attacks and get there systems back up and running. Microsoft managed to get back up, Sony failed pretty badly and still no signs of recovery 24 hours after attack.

Pretty poor Sony. I don't think they will change though so I dont see the point. They will just give us an extra Christmas offer.

Probably a new game for £39.49 instead of their usual £39.99 :p

Permabanned
Like the other guys state its not a security issue. Its just a denial of service attack which prevents people from using the servers due to high traffic.

Its internet facing which means it is always going to be a problem. As stated they could invest in more hardware to deal with the traffic but it could still be attacked in the same way, just it would take more traffic, but that would just be another notch on the bed for these teen kiddie scripters.

I think the bigger issue is how long it takes Sony to recover from these attacks and get there systems back up and running. Microsoft managed to get back up, Sony failed pretty badly and still no signs of recovery 24 hours after attack.

Pretty poor Sony. I don't think they will change though so I dont see the point. They will just give us an extra Christmas offer.

I think it should be free on-line gaming from now , not £40

Soldato
So what is the solution to this problem? When these idiots get bored, more will step up because it's cool....

Do Sony need to dramatically increase their server base? That's gonna be a hard pill to swallow if so, I'd imagine they think that money is needed else where.

Soldato
So what is the solution to this problem? When these idiots get bored, more will step up because it's cool....

Do Sony need to dramatically increase their server base? That's gonna be a hard pill to swallow if so, I'd imagine they think that money is needed else where.

I think there are arguments for them to increase their servers anyway but not because of these attacks no. If there was some actual work that went into this then you could at least appreciate it from that point but these types of attacks are freely available to anyone who looks. The resources are also available to pull it off as well, its just too too easy for someone to do. They need to catch some more and put a deterrent on these things by punishing those that get caught heavily. But if you are half intelligent you wont get caught.

Maybe hire some more staff to get their service back up afterwards though, or contract the MS guys for a day :p

Last edited:
Soldato

Live is still struggling too from the looks of Neogaf.

Just because someone manages to get passed the clogged authentication servers doesnt mean anything is fixed. People are streaming from PSN as well, doesn't mean that is fixed either.

Sony or Microsoft don't owe anything to anyone can the whiners stop saying that they do and let's focus on the scum who think making the internet busy needlessly is fun?

Soldato
Increasing security won't stop DDOS attacks but investing in hardware could provide resilience and improved availability.

It was a 400gbps attack which was all server pings that had to be responded to because that's how the internet fundamentally works.

If you figure out a way to mitigate that feel free to let us know.

Soldato
Sure but there are better conter measures out there.

Ms and Sony are both handcuffed by the fact they are Legal companies that have to fix things in legal ways, im sure Both of them have the resources and skill sets employed to know exactly how to "deal" with this, but they have to do it in the face of Judges and legalists for huge multinational companies.

Soldato
Live is still struggling too from the looks of Neogaf.

Just because someone manages to get passed the clogged authentication servers doesnt mean anything is fixed. People are streaming from PSN as well, doesn't mean that is fixed either.

Sony or Microsoft don't owe anything to anyone can the whiners stop saying that they do and let's focus on the scum who think making the internet busy needlessly is fun?

If PS Plus was free, then sure, I wouldn't care so much. But they are a company selling a service, and as of now, that service is still unavailable.

They could at least keep track of the amount of time PSN has been down, and then give those days back to PS Plus subscribers by extending subscriptions.

Sony needs to focus on minimising the amount of time it takes to restore service. If this was just a DDOS attack, and not a data breach (like the last big one a few years back), then what is Sony's excuse for not having the network back up and running. Was the amount of requests enough to cause actual server damage? If DDOS attacks are so hard to prevent, what sort of maintenance could actually be taking this long?

And the other problem; Sony's lack of actual communication with its customers. Apart from a Twitter account spewing "We're aware there are issues" etc, it would nice to know when the attacks stopped and when it was actually brought down for maintenance.

Soldato
If PS Plus was free, then sure, I wouldn't care so much. But they are a company selling a service, and as of now, that service is still unavailable.

They could at least keep track of the amount of time PSN has been down, and then give those days back to PS Plus subscribers by extending subscriptions.

Sony needs to focus on minimising the amount of time it takes to restore service. If this was just a DDOS attack, and not a data breach (like the last big one a few years back), then what is Sony's excuse for not having the network back up and running. Was the amount of requests enough to cause actual server damage? If DDOS attacks are so hard to prevent, what sort of maintenance could actually be taking this long?

And the other problem; Sony's lack of actual communication with its customers. Apart from a Twitter account spewing "We're aware there are issues" etc, it would nice to know when the attacks stopped and when it was actually brought down for maintenance.

How can any company defend against an attack that can take out your main competitor at the same time as you? Think about it, they would need server infrastructure larger than their own and MS's put together to even begin to have a chance

Equipment could have been affected at Sony, their isps and anyone attached to them. This stuff ain't easy.

Live still isn't up for everyone although it looks like the UK's data centre is pretty much on and PSN is showing signs of life.

I'm not sure what they can say about the situation other than reassuring that they are working on it. I'm pretty much sure non of us would understand the engineers report even If they posted it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom