*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
Has anyone here gone from a PS4 to a PS4 Pro? If so, would you recommend the upgrade for someone still playing on a 1080P monitor?

Basically i've been gifted a PS4 Slim and i'm wondering whether it's worth trading it in and buying a PS4 Pro for the performance benefit. I'll only be gaming at 1080P but i've heard that the 'boost' mode make a difference in older games. I'm not sure how much i'd get for my brand new PS4 Slim either.

I had the same dilemma and have decided not to bother for now. I'm on a 1440p PC monitor so the Pro won't let me use 4k mode anyways and the vast majority of games look and run great on the base model (Horizon, Uncharted 4 etc.). I'm not interested in framerate benefits as not even a handful of games can push locked 60fps and there's nothing worse than fps jumping between 30-45.

The whole reason I wanted to upgrade is Yakuza 6 which runs HORRIBLY on the base model, I can't believe they released it in such state. But that's only one game.

Soldato
I got the Pro seeing as this was my first venture into console territory since SNES and I wanted faster loading times being an impatient PC SSD user. Even then I upgraded to a 2TB SSHD. Loading times are acceptable.

Definitely not regretting the investment. I'm enjoying my gaming now more than at any time in the past 5 years or so.

Soldato
Well, I'm enjoying it a lot more too but that's got more to do with being able to play games that are a lot better than what I can play on PC:p Not sure whether I'd enjoy them more on the Pro so far, I would definitely want one just for the additional performance but it doesn't seem to make much difference in the games I play.

Soldato
Well, I'm enjoying it a lot more too but that's got more to do with being able to play games that are a lot better than what I can play on PC:p Not sure whether I'd enjoy them more on the Pro so far, I would definitely want one just for the additional performance but it doesn't seem to make much difference in the games I play.

I think realistically it won't make much difference apart from in forthcoming games that are specifically designed to take advantage of the extra horsepower. I'm not sure if any of my games have improved frame-rates or not. I certainly don't think Wildlands has.

The only thing driving me nuts about PS4 is that the DS4 controller works much better on PC because I can enable Gyro aim. Sony and game devs need to address this because RS only is annoying.

Last edited:
Associate
I think when Scorpio arrives on the scene you will see a huge benefit in having a Pro because all the devs will be pushing the extra's and 4k. At the moment I think if you're buying a PS4 from new then you may as well go with the Pro. In your case though, being given one, I'd wait. Unless you're the type that notices even tiny amounts of dropped frames etc as boost mode will solve that.

Soldato
I just treated myself to a PRO (justification = giving my launch day ps4 to my son...i loves me a bit of justification i do :D ).

Any way, i'm glad i did. I can definitely notice graphical improvements on my 4k hdr set in games and the whole thing is snappier and indeed quieter (mine is whisper quiet even after playing doom or far cry for hours straight...i guess i got lucky after hearing some hoover horror stories online).

I'm really starting to get a lot out of ps4 / pro recently. I think being able to add an external drive for games and the frequent bargains that come up for older games on the psn store is really starting to make it feel like a wonderful entertainment hub. i think we'll definitely see developers pushing the pro more in games to come and the benefits over the standard ps4 will start to become more obvious.

Soldato
Can anyone help?

Bought Battlefront ultimate edition inc. season pass etc. On the store last week for £12.99, installed and played fine except Bespin DLC which refuses to download. When I try to download I get "content not available at this time" I've tried re-installing Season pass and Restoring licenses but nothing works :(

Any ideas

Back
Top Bottom