*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
Reddit is a classic for complaining about the noise. I got my Pro in January, it was the B revision.
I've never heard the coil whine and I reported this back, I was told that I as lying - they all make it. I went and found some video's online apparently showing the noise, decided that although I've got great hearing that particular noise doesn't effect me so much. Eventually heard the noise, confirmed mine doesn't make it - was told I was lying, they all do it.
Said that yes, my fan does kick in - when I've been playing for some time or I'm playing something particularly intensive. However it's just a fan and I cannot hear it over the audio I've got from the game in question. However if I pause the game then yes, the fan is there and it is quite noisy.
Was told I was a liar as they all sound like jet engines.

Mine really doesn't make that much noise at all. It is a Black b revision that came in a Fifa18 bundle in January.

Soldato
Zero "coil whine" here, got my Pro before Christmas.

Edit: just had to look up this "coil whine" and it looks like a lot of these people reporting it on Youtube, really ought to listen to cooling fans.... as.... that's the noise of fans! Goodness knows why they have termed it "coil whine" :confused:

Soldato
It seems to be the fans working.

I have noticed that my PS4 Pro throws off a LOT more heat than my old PS4 console did.

If I have the PS4 Pro on for 20 minutes my room is noticably warmer. When I turn it off the room temp returns to normal.

Soldato
Ikaruga coming to PS4

Following its Switch release published by Nicalis last month, Treasure has announced that acclaimed shoot ’em up Ikaruga is coming to PlayStation 4.

Ikaruga is running on PS4!” Treasure said in a tweet. “The title screen is (C) Treasure-only. PlayStation 4 users, please wait just a little bit longer after this. Next week will be the official announcement, and it will be released soon.”

Ikaruga was first released for arcades in Japan in 2001, followed by Dreamcast in Japan in 2002, Gamecube worldwide in 2003, Xbox 360 worldwide in 2008, PC (Steam) worldwide in 2014, and Switch worldwide in May 2018.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
About

Shoot! Dodge! and… Get Hit!?

Ikaruga is a vertical shoot ’em up that features an unique polarity-switching gameplay. Switch the ship’s polarity and “get hit and absorb” enemy bullets! Achieve High Score with the chain bonus!

Features

• The player ship, all enemies and bullets are black or white. Player’s polarity can be switched at will.
  • Your ship can absorb enemy bullets of the same polarity. Filled energy goes to fire powerful homing lasers! (Release Power.)
  • Defeat three enemies in a row of the same polarity and get the chain bonus! Building up high scores feels like a puzzle game?
  • Spectacular 3D graphics. Fast and smooth game play.
  • Two-player game (Local) and Double Play modes: You can play a two-player game with one controller.
  • Five levels. Tactical level design and boss battles.
  • Three difficulty levels: Easy, Normal, Hard. Change your tactics depending on the difficulty.
  • Two game modes: Arcade, Prototype (not hidden).
  • Replay data save is available. You can also download them from the Leaderboards.
  • Vertical screen mode support. You can also play the game like a side-scrolling shooter by rotating only the game screen.
  • Xbox 360 controller, keyboard and mouse support.

Associate
Just incase anyone was wondering

Affected Platforms:
PS4™
Affected Services:
You may have some difficulty launching games, applications or online features. Our engineers are working to resolve the issue as soon as possible, and we thank you for your patience.
06/06/2018, 19:33

Caporegime
Thinking of adding some extra storage to my ps4, do you take a hit performance wise using an external drive?

Can't say I've noticed any difference. If anything it should be marginally faster as you're not writing game capture data, reading system files and game data all from the same device. It's probably the best place to keep your PS4 games in case anything happens to the internal HDD, you won't have to redownload anything.

Soldato
Final touch on the pro today, cut a hole in it and swapped the paste over to liquid metal a week or so ago. Didn't quite like the plain hole so have since made a custom stainless steel ring with a white fan filter behind. Wasn't after anything too flashy.

Sure the warranty has gone but gah, lifes too short and all that :p. That and i like to tinker around and try improve/personalize almost everything i own.

Wish i waited and went for the black console however, do kind of like the skin though with the white.

It is definitely quite a bit quieter now which is what i was after.

If anyone is interested that is, few (not the best) pics in spoiler below.

VMYSzJc.jpg

re3CVPO.jpg

Soldato
That looks pretty nice indeed, good job. Mine's decently quiet in everything except GoW which makes it ramp up considerably at times. Maybe I'll tinker with it myself when it runs out of warranty:p

Associate
Really nice looking mod Tyler.

My PS4 Pro is really irking me and spoiling my enjoyment due to how much the fans are ramping up on just about every game.

I had to return my original PS4 Pro due to disk reader problem. That console only ramped up for Unchartered, mainly on menu screen.
The replacement they sent is just bloody awful for fan noise.

I did a basic opening up and clean out but no change. It all looked quite clean. :mad:

Soldato
Same for mine, opened it up expecting heaps of dust due to the noise it was making but it was clean as a whistle. Tempted to take it apart and reapply the paste but part of me thinks it's just a poor design and I'd be chancing the warranty for nothing (I am in NZ so we have a near endless warranty on games consoles under our consumer laws).

Back
Top Bottom