*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
You think I am going to open that up?

I can't see why not if you're using it as your regular console anyway.

In any case, some squirts of canned air into the rear and side vents will help, but because of the design of the heatsink the only way to properly clear it and and stop the console from running hot is to open it up and get the PSU out of the way.

Soldato
Turned my PS4 on for the first time in ages yesterday as I wanted to play the "Detroit: Become Human" demo - Had a quick flick through the Playstation Store and was absolutely blown away by the expensive prices of the games on there!! £59.99 for FIFA 18?! Jog on!

How is it that a physical copy is cheaper than a digital copy?! Does anyone actually buy games through the PSN? And if so, why?

Caporegime
I can't see why not if you're using it as your regular console anyway.

In any case, some squirts of canned air into the rear and side vents will help, but because of the design of the heatsink the only way to properly clear it and and stop the console from running hot is to open it up and get the PSU out of the way.

There's a difference between using it and opening it up removing the warranty stickers, should I ever sell it in the future that would have a huge impact on what to expect.

Soldato
How is it that a physical copy is cheaper than a digital copy?! Does anyone actually buy games through the PSN? And if so, why?

Convenience is the simple answer I think.

I generally but physical but there are occasions that I will buy digital if the price if similar and it's a game I will play a lot (a multiplayer game) as it saves swapping out discs all the time.

The store often has offers/sales on and you can get some good deals just not so much when a game is first released.

Soldato
How is it that a physical copy is cheaper than a digital copy?!

Physical copies are purchased in bulk, retailers negotiate prices with publishers/suppliers and agree to advertise the game online/instore etc, and get a lower unit rate as a result. Plus each unit has a value attached so it's in their best interests to shift stock on rather than have it sitting doing nothing.

Digital prices are set by the publisher and the mark-up means there's no repercussions of them undercutting retailers. There's also no risk of unsold stock if nobody buys the game at £60 either; people will either pay the premium in the name of "convenience" or they'll pay £20 less at Amazon.

Soldato
Turned my PS4 on for the first time in ages yesterday as I wanted to play the "Detroit: Become Human" demo - Had a quick flick through the Playstation Store and was absolutely blown away by the expensive prices of the games on there!! £59.99 for FIFA 18?! Jog on!

I do but only when I want a digital version and there's a sale. I bought SotC cheaper than the retail goes for in my county during the last sale.

Associate
I almost exclusively buy my PS4 games from the PSN store... there's even a couple of games that I own physical copies of that I've repurchased as digital versions.
The main two reasons why - I have a hatred of the sound a spinning disc makes (for some reason my ears are very sensitive to that sound) and I don't like the look of the physical cases on my shelf.

Normally I'll only buy new games from the PSN store if they're within £10 of the physical copy price, if not then I won't buy the game until it's on sale.

UXB

UXB

Associate
Soldato

Convenience is usually more expensive. Also there is data bandwidth to pay for I guess - millions of people hammering their servers downloading games needs managing and maintaining.

I do not buy physical copies of games anymore. But I also rarely pay full price for games either. There are regular sales on psn store and games can be heavily discounted. That's the time to buy.

Over the last couple of years I have re-bought all of my physical games in digital format.

The main reason for me is convenience. I like having all of my games in one easily accessible place and ready to play without messing around with changing discs. I also have a lot of games (across two platforms) so storing physical copies would be problematic!

It costs more, particularly when accounting for external storage devices- but it's how I prefer to do things. I suppose it is a bit like music in that not many people mess around with physical discs anymore, they have thousands of digital files instead.

Who knows, eventually they may go down the streaming route for games like they have for music and movies.

Soldato
Fifa and few others games on psn do go on sale more often than you'd think. I bought fifa 18 and destiny 2 digital just as mentioned above convenience for me, that and can usual get for example £50 psn credit for nearer £42-45 making it near same price as a physical copy

Associate
Having so much fun playing Rayman Origins with my daughter as her chillout from exams. I haven't really played platform style games much since my Sega days and I would missed this if wasn't on the PSN sub.

The end of story/theme musical levels are so well done and really put a smile on your face if you can hit the flow unbroken. Only got two more of those to do but so many extra paintings to unlock, this game would have been well worth paying for in terms of enjoyment and content.

Soldato
I meant to play some Bloodborne yesterday with my friend but we ended up downloading Legends and having a blast:p
I've been really happy with the latest PS+ offerings, lots of great games I missed.

I'd love a new Rayman, The Great Escape and Hoodlum Havoc are absolutely my favourite platformers of all time.

Back
Top Bottom