Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 40 14.3%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 167 59.9%
  • No (other)

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Pancake

Votes: 13 4.7%

• Total voters
Ever since Mike Ashley bought Game to add to his collection its gone totally downhill. Most stores now resemble a toy store. With actual video games barely taking up a single wall. Toys, board games, lego and gaming merch taking up the rest of the space. Total joke IMO.
Was gone way before he got involved. Can’t believe people still think it’s even an option to preorder anything from them.

Was gone way before he got involved. Can’t believe people still think it’s even an option to preorder anything from them.
They eventually refunded my money. Though stiffed me on £4.99 delivery charge. But I'm going to bring that up to them next week.

They knew when they charged next day that they couldn't fulfill it.

I tried Spiderman 2 in the 30fps, 40fps, 60fps and 120fps modes. To my eyes 60 was a bit smoother than 40(although according to the TV it never dropped as low as 40) and I honestly could not tell the difference between 60 and 120. It doesn't help that the way they describe the graphics modes in PS5 games is not very user friendly! Plus it's quite hard to measure the FPS. My new TV shows the FPS in game mode but my old TV never had such options, and I'm not certain how reliable it is as I'm getting higher FPS according to the TV than digital foundry shows in their analysis.

I found it a faff swapping between the modes and really its only like 6 options. I cannot fathom how PC gamers spend half their life studying fps and tweaking the graphics modes/options :p

rp2000
You may need to enable VRR on your TV and on the PS5. The 40 FPS mode should be silky smooth. I don't have your TV or a PS5,so I can't help you there.

I tried Spiderman 2 in the 30fps, 40fps, 60fps and 120fps modes. To my eyes 60 was a bit smoother than 40(although according to the TV it never dropped as low as 40) and I honestly could not tell the difference between 60 and 120. It doesn't help that the way they describe the graphics modes in PS5 games is not very user friendly! Plus it's quite hard to measure the FPS. My new TV shows the FPS in game mode but my old TV never had such options, and I'm not certain how reliable it is as I'm getting higher FPS according to the TV than digital foundry shows in their analysis.

I found it a faff swapping between the modes and really its only like 6 options. I cannot fathom how PC gamers spend half their life studying fps and tweaking the graphics modes/options :p

rp2000

I'm playing Spiderman 2 and I set it into fidelity mode, with 120hz mode on and uncapped framerate.

As for PC, I dunno either mate, i have a simple 3 step process that works in every game and takes less than 30 seconds.

Step 1: Open game
Step 2: Set graphics to Ultra preset
Step 3: Press Play

I dunno why they even have all these different graphics settings, waste of time IMO, Ultra should be the only graphics setting and no one should touch anything, just play :)

Last edited:
You may need to enable VRR on your TV and on the PS5. The 40 FPS mode should be silky smooth. I don't have your TV or a PS5,so I can't help you there.

I tried again and performance mode still seems smoother to me.

However, maybe it's becuase I turn motion blur off (by default it's on). With it on I can barely tell the difference between the 40 and 60 modes, but I prefer the look of all games with motion blur turned off tbh.

rp2000

I tried again and performance mode still seems smoother to me.

However, maybe it's becuase I turn motion blur off (by default it's on). With it on I can barely tell the difference between the 40 and 60 modes, but I prefer the look of all games with motion blur turned off tbh.

rp2000

Why wouldn't perf mode feel smoother?:P It's 40 vs 60fps.

The purpose of a 40fps mode is to deliver higher visual fidelity that wouldn't be attainable at 60fps without the game feeling you're wading through treacle, which is how 30fps feels.

Test it against that. It's night and day, feels way smoother than a measly 10fps uplift would make you think due to the huge difference in frametime. It's much easier to get used to coming from 60+fps as well compared to how jarring 30fps feels.

I used 40fps unlocked with VRR in Spiderman, that way you get higher fidelity but the game still pushes above that whenever possible while VRR takes care of the stutter that would normally occur with fps fluctuations.

Why wouldn't perf mode feel smoother?:p It's 40 vs 60fps.

The purpose of a 40fps mode is to deliver higher visual fidelity that wouldn't be attainable at 60fps without the game feeling you're wading through treacle, which is how 30fps feels.

Test it against that. It's night and day, feels way smoother than a measly 10fps uplift would make you think due to the huge difference in frametime. It's much easier to get used to coming from 60+fps as well compared to how jarring 30fps feels.

I used 40fps unlocked with VRR in Spiderman, that way you get higher fidelity but the game still pushes above that whenever possible while VRR takes care of the stutter that would normally occur with fps fluctuations.
What he said. TV's nowadays have so many advanced options,it's quite overwhelming. You just have to get used to your new setup and find the right settings for you. And every TV is different,so it's difficult to help certain people. With RE3 on PS4 it looks rubbish at 60hz on my TV (to me) But I enable Standard smoothing in the advanced settings on the TV and bam,it is silky smooth. I also enable Vivid picture and turn on Ambilight (exclusive to Philips TV's) The picture is almost perfect. Anyways good luck.

Been playing a few of the PS+ Premium game trials. Hogwarts looks incredible. And I can definitely see an improvement with The Last Of Us. Hopefully not too long before they get in the game catalogue.

Recently sold my phat ps5, I plan to buy one again when some games I want to play come along, thing is I would like a digital slim edition.
Am I best getting one now while in stock in some places, as I find these a lot harder to get as production of the digital version is lower.

Or do you think my chances of buying a digital slim some time next year will be good?

I can’t see it not being available as it is now the current model. Tbh I imagine they will sell more of the disc less models now as adding the drive is an option at a later date. I can’t see any issues with you getting one next year.

Has anyone noticed their connection and download speeds are being throttled on PS5 since recent system updates?

My ps5 used to download 100gb in ~25 mins. Connection speed test always showed over 400+ Mbps (my fibre line is 550Mbps).

Just recently the download speeds have dropped off a cliff. The PS5 connection speed test is consistently sitting at 110-114Mbps and my downloads are taking 2+ hours for a 100gb game. Thought I’d try the trial of Baldurs Gate 3 which is 117gb - it’s showing as a 2.5 hour download :(

PS5 settings all seem in order. My speed tests on my laptop and download speeds are as expected. Other devices are all working fine.

No router changes or updates have occurred. No changes to my internet that I am aware of.

PS5 has been smashing the download speeds since I got FTTP but the last couple of weeks are murder with slow connection. Seems to have coincided with a couple of system updates.

Edit: think I’ve fixed it for now by choosing to “forget” my wi-fi network and then rejoin it. I’ve also set the frequency to 5ghz instead of Auto.

Last edited:
I'd imagine the digital slim should be a bit more available, now the hardware is identical to the optical version (other than the disc drive being bundled in-box)
I can’t see it not being available as it is now the current model. Tbh I imagine they will sell more of the disc less models now as adding the drive is an option at a later date. I can’t see any issues with you getting one next year.

Thanks will hold off then, at least the disc version will be available in places, im sure stock will run dry leading up to Christmas but in general it seems the PS5 is a lot easier to get now.

Back
Top Bottom