Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 40 14.3%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 167 59.9%
  • No (other)

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Pancake

Votes: 13 4.7%

• Total voters
PS5 Pro dev kits are now going out to developers according to Tom Henderson. And spec leaks have been released, may not be accurate but anyway lets see:

PS5 Pro, project codename Trinity, SoC codename Viola:

* The GPU for the Pro is upgraded to RDNA 3/4 custom architecture. The GPU includes elements from both Gen 3 and 4 and has hardware RT cores that handle BVH traversal for RT. Also included is support for shader execution re-ordering, and dual issue shaders, combining to provide a significant improvement in RT performance. The new GPU supports a new Sony exclusive upscaling feature. Its not clear whether Sony will mandate games use their exclusive upscaling system or whether developers can just use FSR, but Sony's new upscaling is hardware accelerated (Sony asked AMD to include a NPU engine on the SoC to be able to accelerate AI upscaling) - I'm hoping it's a global upscaler that is just "on" and works for all new games, similiar to what's rumoured on for PC in Windows 12.

* The new GPU is 56 CU's, 3584 shaders, 224 TMUs and 96 ROPs, with a variable frequency that maxes out at 2ghz. +- 28tflops of peak FP32 performance.

* The system uses a shared 16GB of GDDR6 memory, like the base PS5, but its a 18GB/s transfer rate providing 576GB/s bandwidth vs 448GB/s on the base PS5.

* For the CPU, it remains with Zen2 architecture to save on cost, but the new SoC (Viola) is built on TSMC4, providing more power headroom which is used to boost clock speed and the CPU now targets a variable clock speed that maxes out at 4.4ghz vs 3.5ghz on the PS5 and 3.8ghz on the Xbox Series X.

Overall Sony is targeting 60% higher rasterization performance vs the base PS5 and 100% higher Ray Tracing performance. But additional performance can be achieved with the new Sony exclusive hardware accelerated AI image upscaling.

Rumored launch date: November 2024 after an announcement in September.

Last edited:
I would have thought they would have added more Ram for the Pro even 20GB would be beneficial especially to the GPU.

See what the final specs reveal I suppose.

Last edited:
Seems like a strange performance bump based on that. Possibly feels like they're targeting purely achieving native 4k/60fps with ray tracing (or using the AI frame gen to get to it) vs. anything else - and particularly interesting that they're sticking with AMD's Zen 2 CPU architecture.

PS5 Pro dev kits are now going out to developers according to Tom Henderson. And spec leaks have been released, may not be accurate but anyway lets see:

* The GPU for the Pro is upgraded to RDNA 3/4 custom architecture. The GPU includes elements from both Gen 3 and 4 and has hardware RT cores that handle BVH traversal for RT. Also included is support for shader execution re-ordering, and dual issue shaders, combining to provide a significant improvement in RT performance. The new GPU supports a new Sony exclusive upscaling feature. Its not clear whether Sony will mandate games use their exclusive upscaling system or whether developers can just use FSR, but Sony's new upscaling is hardware accelerated (Sony asked AMD to include a NPU engine on the SoC to be able to accelerate AI upscaling) - I'm hoping it's a global upscaler that is just "on" and works for all new games, similiar to what's rumoured on for PC in Windows 12.

* The new GPU is 56 CU's, 3584 shaders, 224 TMUs and 96 ROPs, with a variable frequency that maxes out at 2ghz. +- 28tflops of peak FP32 performance.

* The system uses a shared 16GB of GDDR6 memory, like the base PS5, but its a 18GB/s transfer rate providing 576GB/s bandwidth vs 448GB/s on the base PS5.

* For the CPU, it remains with Zen2 architecture to save on cost, but the new SoC (Viola) is built on TSMC4, providing more power headroom which is used to boost clock speed and the CPU now targets a variable clock speed that maxes out at 4.4ghz vs 3.5ghz on the PS5 and 3.8ghz on the Xbox Series X.

Overall Sony is targeting 60% higher rasterization performance vs the base PS5 and 100% higher Ray Tracing performance. But additional performance can be achieved with the new Sony exclusive hardware accelerated AI image upscaling.

And who is going to buy this £600 console, with a 3~ year shelf life?

I’m on extra, and find it’s plenty enough.

These are the prices I see when logged in…think I might go Premium for the first year for the extra £14 then drop to Extra…

Extra
12 Month Subscription
30% off the first 12 months. Then £99.99 every 12 months. Offer ends 18/12/2023.
£99.99£69.99

Premium
12 Month Subscription
30% off the first 12 months. Then £119.99 every 12 months. Offer ends 18/12/2023.
£119.99£83.99

I don’t even feel enough games have used enough of the current PS5 power so tbf if it’s true I may skip upgrading mine

However if I didn’t have a ps5 I’d buy a pro model

I did upgrade my ps4 to the pro version as I felt that was needed

I don’t even feel enough games have used enough of the current PS5 power so tbf if it’s true I may skip upgrading mine

However if I didn’t have a ps5 I’d buy a pro model

I did upgrade my ps4 to the pro version as I felt that was needed
Yeah, I grabbed a PS4 Pro as my launch PS4 was struggling in a lot of instances. Games were taking ages to launch, it sounded like an absolute jet engine all the time so figured I'd be changing anyway, I might as well grab the Pro.

I don't feel like we need a PS5 Pro in quite the same way as we did with the PS4 Pro.

I don't feel like we need a PS5 Pro in quite the same way as we did with the PS4 Pro.

I found the PS4 Pro somewhat underwhelming and so many pre-Pro games were never updated to take advantage of the extra power, so a PS5 Pro will be a hard sell for me.

Perhaps not, but at least the transition years of PS4->PS4 Pro->PS5 has at least given most developers plenty of experience in producing games that can at least scale to some degree. (Whether it's as transparent to the developer as a tick box labelled "PS5 Pro" remains to be seen, but hopefully the rumoured dedicated upscaling will help regardless)

WDYM PS5 Pro, it's not coming:p Just like the Slim wasn't before:p

Seriously though, if it's indeed planned and reasonably priced (won't be probably) then I'd appreciate a boost in performance as the PS5 does struggle in a fair few games even though they rarely run at native res.

It might at least be something worthy of consideration as moving from the regular model to the Slim is a waste of time and money.

Nobody said a smaller PS5 was not happening - from the moment it was released, everyone knew that the console would first have cost-down's followed by a size-down.
The Pro STILL is not official and is nothing more than rumour. I truly do not understand this console community. When we were faced with rubbish after rubbish for the year leading up to the PS5 release (It'll have 500GB, 1TB and 2TB options. There will be a standard and a Pro at release. It'll be twice as powerful as the Series X) all of which came, apparently, from "reliable sources".
I assumed people had learned from that fiasco - but no, somebody not associated with Sony posts something and once again, it's gospel.

I'm gonna go and register a cheap .com and claim a "reliable source at......" has told me all about this and I'll see how long it takes to be picked up on.

You’re not wrong @stoofa we’ll see what transpires in the months to come. I hold firm that until we hear a definite from Sony/MS/Nintendo then it’s all just guesswork and should be taken with a pinch of salt. I mean anyone can literally say anything they want it doesn’t make it a fact.

Has anyone noticed their connection and download speeds are being throttled on PS5 since recent system updates?

My ps5 used to download 100gb in ~25 mins. Connection speed test always showed over 400+ Mbps (my fibre line is 550Mbps).

Just recently the download speeds have dropped off a cliff. The PS5 connection speed test is consistently sitting at 110-114Mbps and my downloads are taking 2+ hours for a 100gb game. Thought I’d try the trial of Baldurs Gate 3 which is 117gb - it’s showing as a 2.5 hour download :(

PS5 settings all seem in order. My speed tests on my laptop and download speeds are as expected. Other devices are all working fine.

No router changes or updates have occurred. No changes to my internet that I am aware of.

PS5 has been smashing the download speeds since I got FTTP but the last couple of weeks are murder with slow connection. Seems to have coincided with a couple of system updates.

Edit: think I’ve fixed it for now by choosing to “forget” my wi-fi network and then rejoin it. I’ve also set the frequency to 5ghz instead of Auto.
If you wait a bit I'll fetch my violin. It's only a wee one mind.

With such a higher spec,I call ******** on 16GB ram. 20GB would be more realistic,with 24GB a possibility. I miss the bit wars. At least each new console was a huge step forward. Megadrive to PlayStation was amazing. Likewise PS1 to PS2. Nowadays it's like Console 1 has 10,000 cores,Console 2 has 11,542 cores. Yaaaay!

Back
Top Bottom