Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 40 14.3%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 167 59.9%
  • No (other)

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Pancake

Votes: 13 4.7%

• Total voters
Just setting it up now. The ufo dashboard fan noise is no more ! Edit. Or was that only in game ? I can’t honestly remember. Anyhoo. I cannot hear a thing - yet. Haven’t tried a game.

Last edited:
It would be concerning if you could hear something whilst just in the main PlayStation menu...!
My fat ps5’s fan was slightly audible from dash. Nothing major

No upright stand either.. oh well. Stands up without it

Update : the fan while in game is actually quieter than my day one ps5. Happy :) only tried re4 so far, but it’s quiet.

Last edited:
Samsung S92C OLED (S90C variant). Black Friday sales. Games look amazing on it, hard to say if any of that is down to the 120hz though, as I don't think I can really see the difference in the few games I tried so far.

rp2000
On my PC if I go back to 60hz it is very noticeably worse. Enabling 120hz makes everything super smooth. I thought 60hz was fine for the longest time,but I see what people mean now with 120hz+ Also you might want to look for 40fps mode in some PS5 games,because it divides perfectly into 120fps. Also I've been playing RE3 on my PS4 which is 60hz but if I enable Standard smoothing it's silky smooth.

May sell my PS5, for time being as not using it much, and with sell on prices good may get a new slim next year some time, but can anyone tell me if there are any big AAA exclusives coming out in the next 2-3 months?
Thanks

On my PC if I go back to 60hz it is very noticeably worse. Enabling 120hz makes everything super smooth. I thought 60hz was fine for the longest time,but I see what people mean now with 120hz+ Also you might want to look for 40fps mode in some PS5 games,because it divides perfectly into 120fps. Also I've been playing RE3 on my PS4 which is 60hz but if I enable Standard smoothing it's silky smooth.
I tried Spiderman 2 in the 30fps, 40fps, 60fps and 120fps modes. To my eyes 60 was a bit smoother than 40(although according to the TV it never dropped as low as 40) and I honestly could not tell the difference between 60 and 120. It doesn't help that the way they describe the graphics modes in PS5 games is not very user friendly! Plus it's quite hard to measure the FPS. My new TV shows the FPS in game mode but my old TV never had such options, and I'm not certain how reliable it is as I'm getting higher FPS according to the TV than digital foundry shows in their analysis.

I found it a faff swapping between the modes and really its only like 6 options. I cannot fathom how PC gamers spend half their life studying fps and tweaking the graphics modes/options :p

rp2000

Last edited:
I tried Spiderman 2 in the 30fps, 40fps, 60fps and 120fps modes. To my eyes 60 was a bit smoother than 40(although according to the TV it never dropped as low as 40) and I honestly could not tell the difference between 60 and 120. It doesn't help that the way they describe the graphics modes in PS5 games is not very user friendly! Plus it's quite hard to measure the FPS. My new TV shows the FPS in game mode but my old TV never had such options, and I'm not certain how reliable it is as I'm getting higher FPS according to the TV than digital foundry shows in their analysis.

I found it a faff swapping between the modes and really its only like 6 options. I cannot fathom how PC gamers spend half their life studying fps and tweaking the graphics modes/options :p

rp2000
Spiderman 2 doesn't run at 120fps - enabling 120hz mode just means you can run the game at either 40fps or uncapped on either of the other options when you disable the frame rate limiter.

I found Spiderman 2 played best at 60fps, used 40fps for a decent time but ended up preferring the overall smoothness of 60.

The majority of PC gamers don't fiddle and tweak with settings outside of the first 10 minutes booting a game up, once you've found something you're happy with then you then to stick to it.

Spiderman 2 doesn't run at 120fps - enabling 120hz mode just means you can run the game at either 40fps or uncapped on either of the other options when you disable the frame rate limiter.
I originally thought this, but the "live" fps counter on the TV is showing over 100-120fps in some modes. It's all too confusing!

rp2000

I originally thought this, but the "live" fps counter on the TV is showing over 100-120fps in some modes. It's all too confusing!

rp2000
You're running the game in a 120fps container to allow 40fps modes, wouldn't pay much attention to the TV's fps counter, it might not show stuff correctly.

As for PCs, I don't feel like I need to spend hours tweaking settings on a measly 4070, my PC runs circles around my PS5 to the point that I get 120+ fps with significantly better graphics in Returnal compared to the PS5 version that can drop below 60fps and is upscaled from 1080p. With Frame Generation you can even throw in RT and still go way over 100fps.

TBH, every multiplatform I tried runs miles better without tweaking much, including former PS5 exes, there's no comparison really. You don't need a 4090.

Tweaking settings for hours is just a myth created by hardcore console gamers, I'll happily continue enjoying the simplicity of consoles but I won't be blind to the immense advantages PC brings to the table like free online, cheaper games and much higher iq and framerates.

It's obvious when I try the same games I enjoyed on my PS5.

EDIT: And that scalability is a big advantage actually and I'm glad it's making its way to consoles. Take FFXVI for example, runs bad on 60fps mode, doesn't have a 40fps mode and you can't change anything the devs baked in, it's 30fps or bust. Then look at the Spidey games in question. Or RE4's settings.

Last edited:

rp2000
It's just a case of getting used to your new TV. I've had mine for a couple of months now,and honestly I've only just scratched the surface of what it can do. I can't even use VRR because I haven't got anything to take advantage of it. Just tinker with it and over time you'll get dialled in to your preferences. I do have 3 sided ambilight though which is awesome :)

Avoid GAME for buying products for a while.

I pre-ordered a PS Portal on October 20th to be delivered at release on the 15th of November.

On the 14th they sent a message saying they had shipped it to arrive next day. Evri was notified of the shipment.

I kept checking Evri tracking and it said they are awaiting for the parcel.

Nothing arrived on the 15th. Evri still said it was waiting.

After numerous communication back and forth via Facebook, Twitter, and email, on the 27th they said the item hadn't been scanned!

They said do I want a replacement or a refund. I asked how long would a replacement take? 2nd of December and nobody replied. So today I requested a refund. Thankfully someone answered and I have a refund.

II think they over sold on the item I suspect. The communication is woeful. They have put me so far back I'm probably not going to get one this side of Christmas.

From observing their social media many other people are having similar problems, including ordering PS5's too.

They are now trying to blame black Friday for their abysmal customer service.

So try other places if you want a reliable order.

Avoid GAME for buying products for a while.

I pre-ordered a PS Portal on October 20th to be delivered at release on the 15th of November.

On the 14th they sent a message saying they had shipped it to arrive next day. Evri was notified of the shipment.

I kept checking Evri tracking and it said they are awaiting for the parcel.

Nothing arrived on the 15th. Evri still said it was waiting.

After numerous communication back and forth via Facebook, Twitter, and email, on the 27th they said the item hadn't been scanned!

They said do I want a replacement or a refund. I asked how long would a replacement take? 2nd of December and nobody replied. So today I requested a refund. Thankfully someone answered and I have a refund.

II think they over sold on the item I suspect. The communication is woeful. They have put me so far back I'm probably not going to get one this side of Christmas.

From observing their social media many other people are having similar problems, including ordering PS5's too.

They are now trying to blame black Friday for their abysmal customer service.

So try other places if you want a reliable order.
Ever since Mike Ashley bought Game to add to his collection its gone totally downhill. Most stores now resemble a toy store. With actual video games barely taking up a single wall. Toys, board games, lego and gaming merch taking up the rest of the space. Total joke IMO.

May sell my PS5, for time being as not using it much, and with sell on prices good may get a new slim next year some time, but can anyone tell me if there are any big AAA exclusives coming out in the next 2-3 months?
Thanks
Rise of the ronin (potentially), Gran Blue Link, Ff7 rebirth, Elden Ring DLC (potentially), Helldivers 2, Dragons Dogma 2.

It may be worth waiting until after the game awards as we usually get a bunch of release dates and info (awards are Dec 8th I think).

Back
Top Bottom