Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 43 15.2%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 168 59.4%
  • No (other)

Votes: 59 20.8%
  • Pancake

Votes: 13 4.6%

• Total voters
Anyone else tried out the Unicorn Overlord demo? It's like a timed affair where you get to play the full game for 5-6 hours (and you can carry over to main game if you buy it afaik).

It's an interesting game so far and I'm pretty hyped for the full thing to see where it goes. The game isn't really directly comparable to anything else I've played, and I've played quite a few RPG/tactical games.

At it's core it's an auto-battler with a grand strategy type thing going on, with a full map you can explore and settlements you can take etc. The depth of the strategy looks very good, you are in control of high level stuff such as equipment and unit composition, but you can dig into the skills and how they're used as well by setting conditions.

Would encourage anyone who likes tactical or strategy games to try out the demo on the PS5.

I'd probably bite on a PS5 PRO as long as it was essentially the last one they do in the PS5 generation like the PS4 PRO was. Would last a few years then and be worth the upgrade.
If the PS5 Pro meant that every game was standard at 4k60 with limited upscaling then I'd be interested. I wonder if it's them testing better ray tracing support and their own upscaling/frame-gen tech.

Seeing a few more solid rumours of a PS5 Pro launching later this year, I wonder how much they'll launch it here for if it does ever happen.

I will likely pass on the pro, will save the money for a ps6 which Im guessing will be around 2026-28?

Im happy with the performance of the ps5, don't feel I want to spend another £400+ on a pro just for a few performance improvements.

Last edited:
The problem with a Pro is that it needs to be significantly more powerful than the current PS5 to really be worth bothering with, which means especially at current PS5 prices it presumably has to be significantly more expensive too. Add to that the fact that last time round, loads of games after the PS4 Pro's release made fairly little use of the extra power and plenty released previously were never updated, and I'm just not feeling compelled by the idea at the moment.

Never say never though, it may end up being a more interesting offering than I'm picturing.

Finally picked myself up a ps5 and gran turismo 7, got the premium plus sub too. Amazing console so far, can't believe how fast it is. Also, my Samsung 4k smart TV remote works on the console too! Great little touch.

If the rumours are true, at this stage it just feels like Sony are using the Apple playbook.

Release a slightly refreshed hardware model and cash in on all the customers who can’t resist buying the most recent version of everything.

I agree with others - obviously have to wait and see the final specs, but unless it’s a monster, the real world gains for most use cases probably aren’t going to be worth it, and the likely low uptake won’t present any incentive for developers to push the boat out. This reduces the benefits to what? Higher base storage and increased frames on the few games that are developed/updated to support it?

I agree with others - obviously have to wait and see the final specs, but unless it’s a monster, the real world gains for most use cases probably aren’t going to be worth it, and the likely low uptake won’t present any incentive for developers to push the boat out. This reduces the benefits to what? Higher base storage and increased frames on the few games that are developed/updated to support it?
People said these exact things about the PS4 Pro, and that had no shortage of support over its life (every game released since ~6 months prior to launch had to support it).

At the very least it will mean more games remain viable at 60fps (and higher) without having to compromise so much on the rendering resolution, as some games are starting to have to do on the base PS5.

Well with developers like Ironwood who made the brilliant Pacific Drive, targetting a pathetic 4k30 I would say that developers need to sort their games out before we see any form of decent performance from a Pro. The PS5 is well capable of excellent performance but it is the games and their performance where we're still lacking.

I remember purchasing the PS4 Pro, it didn't get that much use of its additional GPU as I recall. If the Pro is more than a spec bump and is smaller in every area with a lower power draw then it'll be a nice upgrade path for fresh new owners but game developers need to be pushed into making their games for it and not just throwing them out the door with dire optimisation (see Pacific Drive).

Last edited:
If the current ps5 is around 400, surely for a pro to make Sony any money it would have to be at least 600 quid? Saying that, a quick Google tells me the ps4 pro was only about 60 quid more than the slim rrp, but I assume the slim cost a lot less to make (assuming close to half :D ) so the slim likely had a massive markup on it. Can't imagine that happening with the ps5 just yet, although if they did a pro for 500 quid that would be interesting.

If the current ps5 is around 400, surely for a pro to make Sony any money it would have to be at least 600 quid? Saying that, a quick Google tells me the ps4 pro was only about 60 quid more than the slim rrp, but I assume the slim cost a lot less to make (assuming close to half :D ) so the slim likely had a massive markup on it. Can't imagine that happening with the ps5 just yet, although if they did a pro for 500 quid that would be interesting.

iirc the 1st release of most consoles have barely any profit margin (sometimes sold at a small loss), it's only as hardware is respun and becomes cheaper that the hardware actually makes a profit. The "slim" still won't have a massive markup, but will be the first PS5 that makes a healthy margin.

It's why metrics such as attach rate (how many games sold per console) is important as the games often subsidise the hardware at least in the early stages.

iirc the 1st release of most consoles have barely any profit margin (sometimes sold at a small loss), it's only as hardware is respun and becomes cheaper that the hardware actually makes a profit. The "slim" still won't have a massive markup, but will be the first PS5 that makes a healthy margin.

It's why metrics such as attach rate (how many games sold per console) is important as the games often subsidise the hardware at least in the early stages.
It's also why Sony/Microsoft are so keen to get a 'game as a service' winner on their console. Helldivers 2 potentially fills that gap for Sony (although it's also on PC) as if you've got someone buying a PS5 (small loss for Sony) but then pays for PS Plus you've then got someone who is then actively spending money with them.

Just joined the PS5 club as of yesterday. I subscribed to ps plus extra and downlaoded Horizon zero dawn, if that game leaves ps plus extra will it be removed from my console?

Back
Top Bottom