Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 40 14.3%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 167 59.9%
  • No (other)

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Pancake

Votes: 13 4.7%

• Total voters
Speaking of controllers, does anyone know if larger batteries exist for the dualsense controller? Are they easy to install? I've not looked at teardowns yet
Easy enough to get to the battery - it's one of the first things to come out when tearing down the controller.
As long as you've got a good quality screwdriver (Philips 00 iirc) and some plastic spudgers (needed to prise up a trim without marking) then it's not too hard.

As to whether any bigger batteries exist, I'm not sure

Easy enough to get to the battery - it's one of the first things to come out when tearing down the controller.
As long as you've got a good quality screwdriver (Philips 00 iirc) and some plastic spudgers (needed to prise up a trim without marking) then it's not too hard.

Wonder if you could daisy chain 2 smaller batteries to give a bigger capacity.

The standard battery is 1560mAh

Having just done a quick look, then it seems there are some 2650mAh and 2800mAh batteries available e.g.

The usual buyer beware applies though, in that I wouldn't buy random brands from Amazon or Ebay, as they may be marked at x capacity, but are actually unlikely to be any better than a genuine battery (and in some cases can be worse in terms of charge cycles etc)
(The one listed above should be fine though)

Some decent guides on how to open the controller and replace here:

I find it surprising the talk of the controller not having a big enough battery, I've never had an issue even after hours of play.

Then again I picked up a black one to go with my slim so perhaps it's an improved controller as I came to the party late? Plus, I hate haptics so have that turned off, the microphone is off, light on dim and it goes to sleep if it's not been used for a few minutes.

I guess that all adds up. Plus I pop it in it's dock when not using it for a little while so it gets a quick charge up

Last edited:
I find it surprising the talk of the controller not having a big enough battery, I've never had an issue even after hours of play.

Depends - I use a wired headset when playing with the kids, and that can eat the battery - 2 hours of that, and then another 2 hours playing by myself (without the headset) and the battery is easily down to 1 bar before I stop playing.
(and that's with light bar on dim, microphone off, but haptics on and the speaker set to medium for the games that use it)

Fortunately I have a charging dock with a 2nd controller ready to go if needed

Then again I picked up a black one to go with my slim so perhaps it's an improved controller as I came to the party late? Plus, I hate haptics so have that turned off, the microphone is off, light on dim and it goes to sleep if it's not been used for a few minutes.

I guess that all adds up. Plus I pop it in it's dock when not using it for a little while so it gets a quick charge up
I know, me either - I do have a 2nd one, that's the other option - have a spare on charge and swap out vs spending an hour risking breaking your controller and putting a potentially dodgy battery in.

Looks like they made mechanical improvements to controllers whose 8 digit code on the back end in 'A' (which mine does as it turns out, haven't checked the one that came with the slim).

There must have been battery improvements too I guess.

Fortunately I have a charging dock with a 2nd controller ready to go if needed
Yeah, this is how I essentially alleviate any battery concerns on the controller. I just have the two controllers on the dock and swap if needed.

The only annoying thing is that I have a Dualsense Edge which is even worst for battery life - but it's such a fantastic controller that I often just end up playing with it wired when the battery starts to drop (after about 1h30 it'll be on 2 bars, by 3h it's at 1 bar and usually doesn't make it past 5 hours).

That looks fantastic. I really need to get back into that first game!

Speaking of controllers, does anyone know if larger batteries exist for the dualsense controller? Are they easy to install? I've not looked at teardowns yet but my initial controller that came with the console might as well be perma-connected to USB-C because the battery life is dire. I do have a spare one but I'm too lazy to play the swapping controllers game.
External battery packs work, that was previously linked; it's what i use to double the battery life of my dual sense edge.

Last edited:
Yeah, cheers folks for the above.

I'll look into all of this. I use my controller with my Arctis 6P wireless headset. After about 3hrs of gameplay, it is on one bar (when viewed on the PS5 OS dash). I've been playing Fallout 4 for the last few months so it doesn't make use of any of the dual sense capabilities. Maybe my second controller has better batterylife but I am lazy to take that out of the drawer.

That battery pack looks spot on tbh.

Ah the headset will be a drainer too. Forgot about that.

My HyperX Cloud have a dongle for the PS5 so it's not an issue anymore for me.

Anyway, finished off Jedi Survivor which, if a bit janky at times, had occasional issues loading textures on Koboh and sometimes decided travelling between planets didn't require any sort of visual motion, was more fun than I expected.

Dead Space remake now. Forgot how jump inducing it could be.

On that note EA are so annoying. Can't link because my email was linked to my previous PSN id that I changed ages ago. Got fed up with that. Not sure why they make it so difficult.

Dead Space remake now. Forgot how jump inducing it could be.

On that note EA are so annoying. Can't link because my email was linked to my previous PSN id that I changed ages ago. Got fed up with that. Not sure why they make it so difficult.
Oh, just played this a few months back - loved the original and loved this, it's aged so well IMHO.

Yeah, all these digital platforms and their interlinking can be great, but also a pain.

One of the most annoying things that has become so common now in games. I just want to play F1 24, I don't want to link to an existing EA account that I may occasionally use on PC or my wife uses to play Sims 4 with. Just let me race cars around.

Yeah, cheers folks for the above.

I'll look into all of this. I use my controller with my Arctis 6P wireless headset. After about 3hrs of gameplay, it is on one bar (when viewed on the PS5 OS dash). I've been playing Fallout 4 for the last few months so it doesn't make use of any of the dual sense capabilities. Maybe my second controller has better batterylife but I am lazy to take that out of the drawer.

That battery pack looks spot on tbh.
I do find that the PS5 battery indicator can sometimes 'jump the gun' a bit with showing 1 bar. I find that it goes from 3 to 2 very quickly - and then even on one bar I often get as much time as I had from 3-2 and 2-1.

I do find that the PS5 battery indicator can sometimes 'jump the gun' a bit with showing 1 bar. I find that it goes from 3 to 2 very quickly - and then even on one bar I often get as much time as I had from 3-2 and 2-1.
I was thinking the same last night as I've noticed it for some time now. I tend to plug the controller in for charging at 1bar but in the past I've noticed it runs at 1bar for some time before the OS gives me an on screen warning.

If we end up with a PS5 Pro releasing this year, does anyone here think they'll upgrade to one? Or is it a case of waiting and seeing what added improvements it comes with?

I do think I'm increasingly likely to pick one up - just based on how much I find myself using my current PS5 now even over my relatively nice PC build. The convenience of console gaming really can't be beaten.

If we end up with a PS5 Pro releasing this year, does anyone here think they'll upgrade to one? Or is it a case of waiting and seeing what added improvements it comes with?

I do think I'm increasingly likely to pick one up - just based on how much I find myself using my current PS5 now even over my relatively nice PC build. The convenience of console gaming really can't be beaten.

Not for me. I’m done with the consoles now that most games are coming to
PC. I’m still going with my 1070! Even though it means sacrificing 4k for 1080p, it’s still doing a grand job.

Back
Top Bottom