Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 40 14.3%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 167 59.9%
  • No (other)

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Pancake

Votes: 13 4.7%

• Total voters
Even if you play 10 games a year it's likely still going to be a hard sell. Slightly higher dynamic resolution or slightly higher uncapped framerates is still not a game changer imo
Or slightly more RT features. Regardless, your point still stands. It's a hard sell for many.

If pssr is as good as dlss or even nearly as good with the 45% speed bump I think it could be an handsome upgrade.
This is the unknown : just how effective is PSSR vs FSR / DLSS ?

But the main issue for me is what 1st party games are there that will take advantage of the new hardware in a meaningful way ? The road map over the next 2-3 years is very sparse.

Last edited:
I still think the limiting factor in these consoles right now is the power of the CPU - Space Marine 2 can barely run at 60fps at 720-1080p and additional GPU power and PSSR isn't going to make that suddenly go away.

I'm still going to be probably interested in ordering, I do like my PS5 and even though I play the majority of my games on PC I still think it's split around 60/40.

I still think the limiting factor in these consoles right now is the power of the CPU - Space Marine 2 can barely run at 60fps at 720-1080p and additional GPU power and PSSR isn't going to make that suddenly go away.

I'm still going to be probably interested in ordering, I do like my PS5 and even though I play the majority of my games on PC I still think it's split around 60/40.
Yea, it’s pretty ancient as far as modern CPUs go. Even handhelds are getting better hardware.

I skipped on the PS5 and got a new PC instead, so will probably get the Pro.

I’m saying I won’t get the Pro but I said that with PS4 Pro some point ended up with it anyway

I do feel more this time around that we haven’t touched the power of PS5

In PS4 you really felt pro was needed or least I did. I don’t so much this time around

You're right - the CPU is going to hold it back in some games eg. Space Marine 2, Plague Tale: Requiem, Dragon's Dogma 2. If there was a stronger line-up of games coming for the PS5 I'd perhaps be interested in the Pro model. But, as it is, I almost certainly won't be picking it up at launch, if ever.

This is the unknown : just how effective is PSSR vs FSR / DLSS ?

But the main issue for me is what 1st party games are there that will take advantage of the new hardware in a meaningful way ? The road map over the next 2-3 years is very sparse.
This is where I'm at with it. Barring GTA6 (whenever that arrives) there doesn't seem to be much coming out over the next couple of years that I can see that'll convince me to jump up to the Pro straight away. If they start announcing stuff next year that'll utilise it better, I'll probably upgrade relatively soon to get ahead of the curve.

Needs to be double the power of the ps5 imo, just like the PS4 to PS4 pro (I'm sure they just slapped another GPU in there for more power).
GPU would be easy - essentially the PS5 is a variant of the RX6700, it's likely a variant of the RX7700 would fit the bill, offering double the TFLOPS when downclocked slightly to reduce power usage/cooling requirements and improve reliability over time.

I suspect the CPU will be a mild upgrade, probably to Zen3/Zen3+ standard - I can't see anything radical happening like 3D Cache being added (due to cost and potentially being too different in performance in some cases), or it being a newer architecture like Zen5 (simply because of the lack of availability of those parts at present)

GPU would be easy - essentially the PS5 is a variant of the RX6700, it's likely a variant of the RX7700 would fit the bill, offering double the TFLOPS when downclocked slightly to reduce power usage/cooling requirements and improve reliability over time.

I suspect the CPU will be a mild upgrade, probably to Zen3/Zen3+ standard - I can't see anything radical happening like 3D Cache being added (due to cost and potentially being too different in performance in some cases), or it being a newer architecture like Zen5 (simply because of the lack of availability of those parts at present)
I know it's not possible but I'd love it if Cerny came out later and said they'd worked with AMD to implement 3D Cache into the existing CPU - so there's no development requirement by game studios, instead it's just additional performance benefits from it that are immediately evident in existing titles.

I think until we see 3D cache in laptops, we're unlikely to see it in consoles.

I';d rather buy a switch 2 than a ps5 pro.

I’m sure many folk will be asking that same question (PS5 Pro or Switch 2).

If I had to chose I’d definitely rather spend the money on a switch 2 (which is literally a generational leap and successor to the Switch) than a mild mid-generation upgrade to the current PS5 console.

Plus it’s likely that pricing wise the switch 2 will be cheaper than a ps5 pro! I can’t see Nintendo charging more than £400-500 for a console. Though it’s obviously a less powerful system.

Of course I’m getting one. I love shiny new tech ! Sell my slim to someone at work most probably.

I’ll probably do the same but I’m not sold on it yet until I see what benefits it actually brings! Keen to see tonight’s presentation.

Last edited:
I will be buying, I have had a PS5 since launch and is my primary daily console. Hopefully it will be under £600 with the ODD and 2Tb. I will stick my 4Tb SSD in and will enjoy the higher FPS with fortnite.. ;)

500 and 590 with disk bundle. You herd it here first.

With a slightly updated controller that has a bigger battery and improved triggers.
That was my thinking as well I was hoping £499 Digital and £579 with the optical drive.. I would love to have a slightly better version of the controller between the standard Dualsense and the Edge. Just a couple of back buttons would be great. Cant see it tho.

Last edited:
I’m guessing £549. Hope I’m right.

From the guy who leaked todays event date a month ago; he also said:

* Ps5 pro supports hdr10+ and Dolby vision streaming

* ps5 pro has upgraded controller with better battery life

* ps5 pro has two models, the digital version launches first at 499 and the disc version comes later at 589

Back
Top Bottom