Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 43 15.2%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 168 59.4%
  • No (other)

Votes: 59 20.8%
  • Pancake

Votes: 13 4.6%

• Total voters
Fair enough, I think we're working with different budgets because I'm not spending £800 on a GPU either. My current PC is mostly 6 years old aside from the 3060Ti and it's only recently that I've started needing DLSS to help it along at 1440p. I'm genuinely interested to see what the PS5 can do across all games but currently the only point of reference is the support the PS4 Pro received and it wasn't entirely impressive, but then it didn't cost the earth either. The PS5 Pro needs to seriously deliver to justify its pricetag.

Only the unnecessary ones (though I do partly wish I still had my old PS1):

y7EPtn9h.jpg
To be fair my last GPU was in March and was a 7900GRE so not quite £800 but same ballpark over 5 years. Nice collection of consoles BTW.

IMO getting mid cycle refresh is very bad value for money. Since all developers will at minimum code their game for the normal console. This generation has already been held back by PS4 with not that many exclusives so whilst on paper is great having a more powerful machine. They won’t be fully utilised.

It's something that should never happen with consoles, but Microsoft and Sony have other ideas to what a console should historically be. All a pro does is make the next gen look less impressive as the gap between them power wise isn't going to be as great.

Not to mention consoles are generally fixed pieces of hardware that last around 5-7 years before being replaced. Before these pro consoles really the only ones that tried to change things up were sega as the megadrive power wise was looking dated vs the snes. After Segas failure consoles stuck to the 5+ year 'rule' until they decided to try their hand again with 'pro' consoles.

I don’t understand. It’s not like they’re discontinuing the cheaper basic ps5…
Indeed.
Over on the cesspit that is Reddit, everywhere is full of "Scam", "Monopoly", "death of Sony"........
I suspect this is all due to the fact that a lot of people had put a price in their head and when it turned out to be wrong, they got angry. (not like "Team PS" don't have history for this kind of thing - getting angry when things don't go their own way. We all remember "The Last of Us Part 2 and the death threats")

If the PS5 was being discontinued and this was now the only option, I could understand every single complaint. It isn't. You don't like the price, you don't buy - it's that simple.
Personally, I was potentially interested, but almost certainly will not. Had it been £700 with the optical drive I might have convinced myself. I know.....that only adds £80, but it's a principle thing.
If it takes a quick price drop, maybe. Otherwise, the £550 I currently have in my Amazon account will just wait for any future PS6 instead.

It's something that should never happen with consoles, but Microsoft and Sony have other ideas to what a console should historically be. All a pro does is make the next gen look less impressive as the gap between them power wise isn't going to be as great.

Not to mention consoles are generally fixed pieces of hardware that last around 5-7 years before being replaced. Before these pro consoles really the only ones that tried to change things up were sega as the megadrive power wise was looking dated vs the snes. After Segas failure consoles stuck to the 5+ year 'rule' until they decided to try their hand again with 'pro' consoles.

Precisely. If developers are not leaving the original version behind and still need to code for them, and I am sure the contract to publish said game will require them to do that as well, then what is the point of these mid gen refresh besides shifting more units for bragging rights. Especially since they don’t make money selling consoles really. Sure you are trying to capture those who never bought the original but are there THAT many people who get into the mid gen console without the original one?

Another argument I will make in favor is that is part of my living room entertainment. I spend a lot on this equipment. B&W speakers, high end Sony mini led tv. Yamaha amp. All of which has cost well in excess of 5k and I want to feed it the best source I can. I don't want a PC in the living room (been there done that.) so the price just doesn't seem that bad to me.

Last edited:
You don't like the price, you don't buy - it's that simple.

I think people are allowed to be angry and frustrated with this. A lot of us would have been looking forward to this announcement and the thought of a potential upgrade or new console. We live in a time where cost of living is at all time high and the sheer greed to charge so much for this upgrade is ridiculous.

Another argument I will make in favor is that is part of my living room entertainment. I spend a lot on this equipment. B&W speakers, high end Sony mini led tv. Yamaha amp. All of which has cost well in excess of 5k and I want to feed it the best source I can. I don't want a PC in the living room (been there done that.) so the price just doesn't seem that bad to me.

My main source of media into my AV comes from a £40 Fire Stick.

I really needed some games to pull me in.

My big concern would be.. like my PS4 pro. Will the games I play yet an uplift or not? It's a lot of cash for a maybe. I'd need a disk drive as well....

I was day 1 ps5 but have sold it since for reference.

£700 all digital with no disc drive! No chance! I personally wouldn’t buy it at any price without a disc drive option.

I think Sony have really misjudged their target market if they think people who buy it are going to be interested in a digital only console. Especially at that price.

Unless this pricing and the lack ofa disc drive is a clickbait operation to get folk taking about it!

Last edited:
I can afford it, but at over £800 for the Pro, vertical stand & optical drive ... the value proposition just isn't there. Sony would have to come out with a stunning catalog of 1st party games over the next 2-3 years for me to justify purchasing this Pro console. Makes me wonder what they'll charge for the future PS6 ... which in turn makes me contemplate a bleak future for Sony / consoles.

I think people are allowed to be angry and frustrated with this. A lot of us would have been looking forward to this announcement and the thought of a potential upgrade or new console. We live in a time where cost of living is at all time high and the sheer greed to charge so much for this upgrade is ridiculous.
OK, but before today you had no idea what the cost was going to be - people say over and over again, if it's not from Sony it's not official - so if at 4:00pm you'd got a price of £550 in your head, that was really on you.
They are offering a premium device at a premium cost and people just need to decide what value they can get from that.
Nobody, certainly in this day and age, should make an assumption that everyone has the right to purchase something.

I'm lucky, I have disposable income every month and both the wife and I can feed our hobbies. If I wanted to, I could pre-order this on September 26th.
I'm also under no illusion many would need to save, many would need to credit, many cannot afford - many cannot afford to go and buy a regular PS5.

I'm expecting some game announcements between now and then, but I will probably bite the (£700! ffs) bullet and get one I think. The PS4 pro became the "normal" shortly after its release, and I can see the same happening again.

I can see the room for improvement on the PS5, which is mainly due to game devs abusing the power available to them rather than any insufficiencies with the hardware.I play all PS5 games on performance mode, when it's available, so if the ps5 pro can keep 60fps on the pretty settings then I'm in.

I had to lol at Sony wheeling out the 8K thing again. I'm sure that is printed on the front of my day 1 ps5 box haha
"VRR and 8K gaming are also supported." lol

How well they implement their DLSS-type feature will be make or break, I think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom