Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 40 14.3%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 167 59.9%
  • No (other)

Votes: 59 21.1%
  • Pancake

Votes: 13 4.7%

• Total voters
They desperately need one. To undo the mess they’ve made.
The mess?
The one where everyone had this £550 price in mind and then it was announced a lot more expensive, so loads of people now couldn't afford it or decided they wouldn't purchase?
Sony don't expect the Pro to make up any more than 15 - 20% of the PS5 Install base. It'll do just fine.
Most people will continue to buy the PS5. No existing PS5's will stop working.

The faux outrage is really not going to make that much difference.

What can they possibly reveal? It can't be a price cut. It can't realistically be any new PS5 Pro specific game. Maybe something like free disc drive to first 100,000 orders or something like that.

rp2000
Games, ideally first-party ones. I think they need to recognise that as much as they're comfortably ahead of Xbox this generation, there's been a growing amount of negative sentiment building towards PlayStation and it doesn't take much to tip fans and gamers in general over the edge. A highly-anticipated game gets cancelled while games nobody cares about get released to die, a focus on live-services titles instead of the single-player narrative experiences PS is known for, lack of variety, and lack of support for PSVR2 plus its high cost of entry.

They're not stupid, they will surely recognise that many of these will factor in to whether people feel willing to pay £800 for their latest device, but they need to turn it around. Astro Bot has saved them from an awful lot of embarassment because otherwise the current conversation would purely be about Concord and the Pro pricing, but they need more wins like that and fewer games stuck in 8 year development hell. We got three original games from Naughty Dog during the PS3 era including one entirely new IP, it's baffling and disappointing that we've still had nothing genuinely new announced from them this far into the current generation. There are still games shown during the original PS5 announcement that aren't out yet; that Capcom sci-fi one pops back into my head every now and again, even if the name doesn't.

They already talking about the ps6 now

Apparently AMD has won the bid to build the PS6. Intel tried to do a joint bid with Broadcom - presumably this would have meant the PS6 would not be x86, but in the end Intel's higher price led to Sony choosing AMD and presumably the PS6 will be x86 again

Push Square said:
the quantity of pixels is becoming less important as we begin to focus on the quality of those pixels.

:rolleyes:
Which is fine, if there were actual meaningful differences that didn't need a magnifying glass.

Stop catering for this rubbish and mandate a fixed resolution, otherwise the PS6 (or PS4 pro super duper plus ultra as it will be) will be running at <720p and relying entirely on upscaling.

:rolleyes:
Which is fine, if there were actual meaningful differences that didn't need a magnifying glass.

Stop catering for this rubbish and mandate a fixed resolution, otherwise the PS6 (or PS4 pro super duper plus ultra as it will be) will be running at <720p and relying entirely on upscaling.

Bahaha "it's not the quantity of pixels it's the quality"

Just one problem, the quality of pixels has gotten worse over the last few years

I sometimes watches movies in HD on my 4k TV.

So playing games in HD with 60fps is fine with me. But on the subject of whether you can tell the difference, the one thing that is doesn't sell it to me is even the demonstration they used, when they tried to show it off, doesn't really show it off. Surely you'd think they would pick the best examples.

I even watched DF's video yesterday too when they recreate it, the difference is tiny and it is essentially a game of Wally or Spot the Difference. If I need to pause, compare and find then it is way too close for me to care.

Diminishing returns. I suspect that PSSR isn't necessarily as obvious a sell as something like RT, HDR or higher frame-rates. I also think it needs to be seen in person and isn't going to come across as well in videos etc. But even then there will be a lot people that just don't care and I suspect they'll be fine on the normal PS5 or Series X.

Recently I've been playing a lot of AC: Origins which is now a 60fps game on PS5 & Series X. However on PS5 it is limited to a max of 1620p vs 2160p on Series X - due to the PS4 Pro/One X patches. Having played both versions somewhat I really struggle to tell the difference. However on something like GR:Breakpoint; 1080p/60 on PS5 vs 1440p/60 on Series X, it really is much more noticeable. And therefore I think there are games which can't hit those higher resolutions and therefore PSSR is going to be a big win. On the assumption that it is a competent solution and comparable to something like DLSS.

I sometimes watches movies in HD on my 4k TV.

So playing games in HD with 60fps is fine with me. But on the subject of whether you can tell the difference, the one thing that is doesn't sell it to me is even the demonstration they used, when they tried to show it off, doesn't really show it off. Surely you'd think they would pick the best examples.

I even watched DF's video yesterday too when they recreate it, the difference is tiny and it is essentially a game of Wally or Spot the Difference. If I need to pause, compare and find then it is way too close for me to care.
To be fair, Youtube video compression doesn't help their cause. But I agree, the differences are subtle and are almost indistinguishable, particularly during actual gameplay / motion.

To be fair, Youtube video compression doesn't help their cause. But I agree, the differences are subtle and are almost indistinguishable, particularly during actual gameplay / motion.

I know it doesn't, hence I watched DF's version of it too, which in the original podcast from DF commenting on Sony's presentation talked about the compression issue and DF themselves said they know how to do it better to minimise that effect.

Which is why I watched DF's latest video to see for myself, even then I am still playing Spot the Difference.

Games, ideally first-party ones. I think they need to recognise that as much as they're comfortably ahead of Xbox this generation, there's been a growing amount of negative sentiment building towards PlayStation and it doesn't take much to tip fans and gamers in general over the edge. A highly-anticipated game gets cancelled while games nobody cares about get released to die, a focus on live-services titles instead of the single-player narrative experiences PS is known for, lack of variety, and lack of support for PSVR2 plus its high cost of entry.

They're not stupid, they will surely recognise that many of these will factor in to whether people feel willing to pay £800 for their latest device, but they need to turn it around. Astro Bot has saved them from an awful lot of embarassment because otherwise the current conversation would purely be about Concord and the Pro pricing, but they need more wins like that and fewer games stuck in 8 year development hell. We got three original games from Naughty Dog during the PS3 era including one entirely new IP, it's baffling and disappointing that we've still had nothing genuinely new announced from them this far into the current generation. There are still games shown during the original PS5 announcement that aren't out yet; that Capcom sci-fi one pops back into my head every now and again, even if the name doesn't.
Spider-Man 2 DLC, released before the end of 2024. Wolverine game dated for Xmas 2025.

I'd settle for that alone.

rp2000

Spider-Man 2 DLC, released before the end of 2024. Wolverine game dated for Xmas 2025.

I'd settle for that alone.

rp2000
According to the Insomniac/Sony leaks the Venom DLC won't be until at least Q2 2025, and Wolverine is Fall 2026. Also, by their own admission to investors/shareholders we know there won't be any 1st party releases before the end of this current financial year ie. April 2025. Unless Sony have an exclusivity contract with some 3rd party developer we're unaware of, there is nothing coming down the pipeline for at least 7 months.

Last edited:
Forgot about XVI. Will finish that when the pro turns up. Gonna grab a pro and switch2. That’ll keep my going til ps6 or whatever :D
It's got serious crashing issues on the latest PS5 firmware, so definatly don't play it before that gets fixed. I had the same issues with the beta version of the firmware, but thought it was just my console playing up as no one was mentioning it online. But now it's been released to the masses it seems to a wide spread issue that was missed.

Last edited:
Another thought, a Pro model at £700 and ignoring storage it doesn’t even come with the Edge controller. If I’m paying £700 give me something to justify it….

It’s a shame they didn’t include the more expensive controller.

To be fair if they had the controller, disc drive and stand and charged £700 I think the response would have been a bit more positive.

I’ll be buying this regardless as I am a sucker for new consoles.

Last edited:
Considering the Edge is somehow £209 I don't think that would be feasible, and if anything people would just be asking for a version with a standard DualSense to bring the price back down to earth; I know I would.

Back
Top Bottom