Poll: *The Official PlayStation (PS5/PS5 Pro) Thread*

Will you be buying a PS5 Pro on release?

• Yes

Votes: 43 15.1%
  • No (not at £700 Lol)

Votes: 169 59.3%
  • No (other)

Votes: 60 21.1%
  • Pancake

Votes: 13 4.6%

• Total voters
Hopefully Sony will get the message and realise their mistake when they notice that the disc drive add-on is selling out and in higher demand their shiny new console :D

There is no mistake. Sony know exactly what they're doing. They haven't included a disc drive because they want to push people into buying all games digitally. And if you want to play games on disc then you gotta pay extra for the privilege.

It’s not a mistake. It’s a tax on physical gamers who will in future have to pay for console + disc drive, thus making physical less attractive.

Also, it controls availability of hardware with consumers being cut off from physical drives on a whim by Sony.

Yeah, I don't disagree. It's clearly a very deliverate tactic by Sony. One thing I would suggest is that if we ever get to a point where physical media isn't available I guess Sony will, like Apple/Google, come under pressure from regulators to allow 3rd party marketplaces on their devices to prevent them having a monoopoly over games sales.

Last edited:
It’s not a mistake. It’s a tax on physical gamers who will in future have to pay for console + disc drive, thus making physical less attractive.

Also, it controls availability of hardware with consumers being cut off from physical drives on a whim by Sony.

Right now the drive is probably 5x the price it needs to be. Come ps6 release, it will be 10x the price it needs to be and stocks will be low. PS5 drives will not be compatible due to some spurious technical or idealistic aspect (think DS4 pads on PS5).

Separate disc drives isn’t about Sony giving consumers a choice, it’s about controlling the future.

Think about it.
Playing devils advocate here a bit but why should digital customers have to subsidise disc customers with a compulsory drive included in the component bill of materials?

Just take the cost of it into account when deciding if you want to buy into the platform. It is a choice.

Last edited:
Playing devils advocate here a bit but why should digital customers have to subsidise disc customers with a compulsory drive included in the component bill of materials?

Just take the cost of it into account when deciding if you want to buy into the platform. It is a choice.
You're already happy to pay more for digital games, so what difference does it make? :D

Joking btw

Or am I? Lol

Seriously tho, I’m happy to pay a bit extra for the convenience of digital. Owning physical media is a bit of a hassle honestly. The games get installed either way, day 1 patch downloads are getting more common. Physical these days isn’t what it used to be. I’ve got Red dead redemption #1 on disc for both ps3 and ps4. PS3 has a big map inside etc so it’s something I want to keep. I got the ps4 on disc because the store price was silly and I’ll sell it on when done because it’s just a disc in a plastic box.

Digital games are still noticeably more expensive than disc. Which is obviously a rip off in plain sight. It takes away all competitive pricing. Once gamers let them take away discs completely then the price is only going to one way and we’ll all be asking how it was allowed to happen.

Digital being more expensive is what is keeping the disc industry alive. It's either a rip-off, or it's monopolising. Take your pick.

Last edited:

It's more Sony increasing their profitability (hardware and onward sold software) and less options than the removal of subsidies TBH.

Last edited:
Huh, since I said I'd not got stick drift (timing) since the last firmware update on my controller I now have occasional stick drift appear.

I'll give it a reset when I get a chance but it seems a bit of a coincidence seeing as it's not really been used much (relative to many) and has been looked after.

Odd.

E: I have an unused white controller I could test but if it is firmware I don't fancy borking that one as well just yet.

Last edited:
Digital games are still noticeably more expensive than disc. Which is obviously a rip off in plain sight. It takes away all competitive pricing. Once gamers let them take away discs completely then the price is only going to one way and we’ll all be asking how it was allowed to happen.

This will remain until disc stores die.

The reason digital is expensive is because Sony and Microsoft have agreements with chain stores like Gamestop and the agreement says something along the lines of games cannot launch at a lower price on the digital store compared to physical

Microsoft/Sony don't like it, they'd prefer to sell games themselves and digitally for more profit, but Gamestop force physical to be cheaper by threatening to stop stocking physical consoles if digital games become too cheap

This was a big story when the Xbox One was announced in 2012/2013 - Microsoft was going fully digital with cheaper digital games and GameStop made a huge fuss about it and threatened to stop stocking all Xbox products

Last edited:
I was interested in the Pro until I saw the price, lol no thanks. This plus the fact you need to pay yearly just to play the games you've rented from Sony (Because you don't really own them) means this PS5 I've got now will probably be my last PlayStation system.

This will remain until disc stores die.

The reason digital is expensive is because Sony and Microsoft have agreements with chain stores like Gamestop and the agreement says something along the lines of games cannot launch at a lower price on the digital store compared to physical

Microsoft/Sony don't like it, they'd prefer to sell games themselves and digitally for more profit, but Gamestop force physical to be cheaper by threatening to stop stocking physical consoles if digital games become too cheap

This was a big story when the Xbox One was announced in 2012/2013 - Microsoft was going fully digital with cheaper digital games and GameStop made a huge fuss about it and threatened to stop stocking all Xbox products

There's a bit more to it than that, I covered some of it in a previous post not too long ago but it's largely based on retailers negotiating a lower unit price by buying in bulk and promising a certain level of sales, and/or additional promotion by the retailer instore/online/TV/magazine etc. The supermarkets used this to their advantage all the time though it's less relevant these days given they've mostly reduced their gaming range to a single bay, if they have on at all.

There are examples of retailers not stocking digital-only products because they can't sell any games for it, the PSP Go was one which many retailers refused to stock on principle. Realistically though, digital games are priced at the RRP and will continue to be even if discs disappear completely, they aren't going to get cheaper. What will really hurt is if the discounts on wallet top-ups via ShopTo etc disappear because those help reduce the price difference between physical and digital by a fair bit.

Back
Top Bottom