The official PS4 Headset/Headphones Guide/Discussion

Caporegime
OP
Just out of curiosity how much better would this be if you split the mic and audio signal so that the mic signal went into the controller and the audio went into the TV?

Apologies if its a stupid question.

most tv's headphone jacks aren't powerful enough to power decent headphones, they are also full of interference from the TV, it's probably worse than using the controller (well it is on my tv and my tv is a top of the range flagship panel).

the controller is good enough for voice comms (because it's just chat after all), but when it comes to game sounds it is awful you really need to use optical out and convert it into a analogue signal (requires a dac/amp).

I have rated the sound quality before

optical > USB > controller

if you have a budget below £100 buy a USB headset, simple as that really.

budget above £100 get a mixamp and a decent set of headphones.

if you want wireless then get ASTRO A50's if you can afford them otherwise get the sony headsets.

if you want the best sound quality and the ultimate advantage in competitive FPS nothing beats a mixamp and a set of decent gaming headphones.

headphones like the HD595, AD700, HD598, Q701, K701/K702 are regarded as some of the best in terms of competitive gaming.

Fidelio X1's, Q701 with bass port mod or DT770's if you want all rounders (good at everything).

Soldato
most tv's headphone jacks aren't powerful enough to power decent headphones, they are also full of interference from the TV, it's probably worse than using the controller (well it is on my tv and my tv is a top of the range flagship panel).

the controller is good enough for voice comms (because it's just chat after all), but when it comes to game sounds it is awful you really need to use optical out and convert it into a analogue signal (requires a dac/amp).

I have rated the sound quality before

optical > USB > controller

if you have a budget below £100 buy a USB headset, simple as that really.

budget above £100 get a mixamp and a decent set of headphones.

if you want wireless then get ASTRO A50's if you can afford them otherwise get the sony headsets.

if you want the best sound quality and the ultimate advantage in competitive FPS nothing beats a mixamp and a set of decent gaming headphones.

headphones like the HD595, AD700, HD598, Q701, K701/K702 are regarded as some of the best in terms of competitive gaming.

Fidelio X1's, Q701 with bass port mod or DT770's if you want all rounders (good at everything).

Cheers, I thought that might be the case, I actually have an older pair of creative wireless headphones that I would have put up with but after scratching my head for the past hour trying to confirm if they're compatible or not, I haven't gotten anywhere which more than likely means they aren't compatible(I can only see the more expensive models as being compatible). I've sent an email off to creative anyway on the off chance they end up being compatible.

The only reason I asked about this as I found the hyperx cloud headset cheap on the internet and it was too good to pass up. I'm getting a PS4 soon and I don't want to be reliant on using the mic that comes bundled with the console. I have read that the Xonar U3 USB dongle works with the PS4. Would that be an acceptable compromise with the hyperx headset? I really wanted to do this as cheap as possible while getting decent performance as I've spent enough money recently and the above headset AND a USB dongle is £60, am I going to get anything better for the money?

Soldato
I'm using some AD700's which I plug directly into my Onkyo. If I want to use a mic I assume I can just buy any 3.5mm clip on mic and plug it straight into the controller? Will this work?

Soldato
Debating getting a set of Astro A40s with the mix amp for ps4/pc etc

Still using wireless turtle beach x41s and the crackling and cut out is unbearable. Its due to the frequency thibg but i bet a40s are 100% better all around!

The x41s just feel cheap and nasty

Caporegime
OP
Cheers, I thought that might be the case, I actually have an older pair of creative wireless headphones that I would have put up with but after scratching my head for the past hour trying to confirm if they're compatible or not, I haven't gotten anywhere which more than likely means they aren't compatible(I can only see the more expensive models as being compatible). I've sent an email off to creative anyway on the off chance they end up being compatible.

The only reason I asked about this as I found the hyperx cloud headset cheap on the internet and it was too good to pass up. I'm getting a PS4 soon and I don't want to be reliant on using the mic that comes bundled with the console. I have read that the Xonar U3 USB dongle works with the PS4. Would that be an acceptable compromise with the hyperx headset? I really wanted to do this as cheap as possible while getting decent performance as I've spent enough money recently and the above headset AND a USB dongle is £60, am I going to get anything better for the money?

no idea if the USB sound card will work or not so it's up to you if you want to buy that.

i have been told a simple USB - 3.5mm connector will work on the ps4 and is the best way to connect it up if you don't want to splash out on a mixamp.

or USB sound card then plug the mic lead into the controller would also work I imagine. better off looking in the mad lust envy thread on head fi for more specific info on that.

I'm using some AD700's which I plug directly into my Onkyo. If I want to use a mic I assume I can just buy any 3.5mm clip on mic and plug it straight into the controller? Will this work?

nope, the controller will also output chat audio to the mic, therefore you won't get any comms. basically people will hear you but you won't hear them.

you need a mixamp i'm afraid, it's just stupid how the ps4 works in that regard hopefully an update will fix this.

Still using wireless turtle beach x41s and the crackling and cut out is unbearable. Its due to the frequency thibg but i bet a40s are 100% better all around!

A40's are better but for that kind of money you could get the hyper x for £40 (deal of the day for today only on a certain site) and a mixamp on it's own and then upgrade the headphones as you see fit to whatever level you want to climb to on the audiophile ladder

Get the hyper x today if your interested deal of the day only so it will jump up to normal price after midnight on the site i'm talking about

Soldato
nope, the controller will also output chat audio to the mic, therefore you won't get any comms. basically people will hear you but you won't hear them.

you need a mixamp i'm afraid, it's just stupid how the ps4 works in that regard hopefully an update will fix this.

Wow that is stupid. I have a mixamp but tbh the Onkyo output is amazing so I don't use it. Oh well I won't be using a mic then.

Associate
Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents here. I couldn't decide on an option for my ps4 as I have Senn 558's and a xonar card in my pc. I was going to use the 558 and get a mixamp but that would involve constant plugging in and out thus eventually knackering the ports.

So I bought the Sony wireless 2.0 headset. I have to say that I am very surprised at the quality for the price. At first I thought that the low end was a bit lacking but then read the instructions and downloaded the companion app. I increased the bass and lowered the mid range a bit in switch position 2. Much better now imo.

Then the real surprise came when I hooked them up to my pc. These cans can take some serious volume and crazy bass. The ps4 is seriously under amping these cans. I'm not joking.

So the fact that they are wireless makes the setup so clean and tidy. And the last of us remastered recognizes the headset and sets it up automatically which in turn sound tremendous.

I have no desire to get a mixamp now as these are more than adequate.

All the best.:)

Soldato

Using A40s they are awsome m8

Soldato
I might just take get a mixamp to go with my current headset(hyperx cloud) after mulling it over. Can anyone confirm what model wired mixamp I require to pull this off? I've read that the only version of the mixamp that enables the mic signal to go through the USB is the 2013 model or does the 2011 model also work?

So it should be Headset>Splitter>Mixamp>>USB+Optical>>PS4. Which should enable comms and sound through the headset.

The 2013 version of the mixamp seems pretty rare on ebay, so i'm hoping the same can be done with the 2011 version.

Soldato
Reeve, I was reading that thread earlier but on page 2 he does say he has given in and bought a mixamp 5.8 wireless so don't think he is talking about the 2011 model in that post.

Edit: nevermind read his post above his bottom one. I am thoroughly confused now, think I will just order a cable as they are only a few quid and just test out what works best.

Soldato
Reeve, I was reading that thread earlier but on page 2 he does say he has given in and bought a mixamp 5.8 wireless so don't think he is talking about the 2011 model in that post.

Edit: nevermind read his post above his bottom one. I am thoroughly confused now, think I will just order a cable as they are only a few quid and just test out what works best.

You're in the same boat as me then :p The reason I asked about this very problem on the previous page wasn't because I didn't read the thread through from start to finish looking for information about this very problem, it was because I had a thorough search on the internet and all I found were contradictions. In the end I ended up getting a cheap(ish) 2011 mixamp off ebay, so im now going to test it for myself, I really don't want to have to resort to using a chat cable.

Soldato
I don't mind using the cable, I use one now with my 360 so not a big deal to continue having a cable it just is annoying not knowing that it definitely will work / how to get it to work. I am suprised there doesn't appear to be some official post from Astro regarding using older mixamps on these consoles.

Soldato
I don't mind using the cable, I use one now with my 360 so not a big deal to continue having a cable it just is annoying not knowing that it definitely will work / how to get it to work. I am suprised there doesn't appear to be some official post from Astro regarding using older mixamps on these consoles.

From what I hear their support is terrible but to be honest Sony must shoulder a lot of the blame as the PS3 could do the same thing without any need for a chat cable and people expect to gain features, not lose basic features like these with the next generation of console.

Back
Top Bottom