The official PS4 Headset/Headphones Guide/Discussion

Soldato
anticonscience or anyone else using a chat cable to their DS4, can you confirm the settings on the PS4. I can only find guides to the 5.8 wireless and the 2013 edition but not the 2011 mixamp, I assume the settings are the same but want to check so I can set up instantly without messing around getting it to work.

Going by the guides for the newer mixamps it should be:
Primary Output: 'Digital Out (Optical)' -> Dolby Digital 5.1Ch
Output to Headphones: Chat Audio
Audio Format (Priority): Bitstream (Dolby)

Caporegime
OP
settings would be the same, that is what I use I think, just try them all and see what works.

the output on the controller should be chat audio only (not all audio).

you basically want game audio to come through optical and chat through the controller or USB depending on the cable your using.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply Psycho Sonny. Yeah I understand how it should work but coming from an XB360 which is plug and play this is a bit more involved. I am just trying to avoid getting into a game and finding the settings are wrong so I can't chat to people.

Associate
Hey Sonny, could I please get your opinion on something? (advance apologies for the lengthy post)

I've been looking for a wireless surround solution for my PS4 for the past few weeks now and I'm slowly driving myself insane, so I figured I'd pass a little of that insanity on to you :D

Currently I'm using Sennheiser HD650's hooked into a Creative ZxR audio card on my PC which is just sublime for music and movies.

Now,my PS4 is connected to the Optical In on the ZxR which also gives me absolutely amazing audio through the 650's.

Only problem is that there is a slight audio/visual sync issue when playing the PS4, enough of a delay to annoy me.

I've tried to ignore this for far too long, and now I want to sort it out by getting a dedicated PS4 setup.

I have come very close to buying the Turtle Beach XP510's 2 or 3 times already, but I just know for sure that with a that kind of cash (roughly £222 brand new) I could get a new setup that has much better sound quality.

I've actually even contemplated going wired (Fidelio X1's, Sennheiser HD598's) to achieve the quality I'm looking for.
(NOTE: I don't really fancy repeatedly plugging and unplugging my HD650's every time I want to play a game!)

I would much rather a fully wireless system though, and have been eyeing the Sennheiser RS180's. They seem really good according to several reviews, but I'm wondering if using these in conjunction with a Mixamp Pro will give me a decent enough surround effect wirelessly?

And also might there be a delay in the audio similar to the one I currently experience?

I'm not interested in a mic or chat as I never play multiplayer games, so would this affect your previous recommendation of the Mixamp, and if so is there another DAC/amp you would recommend?

I would really very much prefer a fully wireless setup (like the XP510's) and I'm willing to spend a bit extra to get it but not quite so much as the Sennheiser RS200's (£400)!!

Bottom line - I want a totally wireless surround setup that doesn't compromise too much on sound quality. But I'm also willing to hear your wired recommendation as well :)

Please can you recommend a setup in both departments? Would really appreciate any advice you might offer. Thanks man.

Caporegime
OP
Makes it a lot easier that you don't want a mic.

Wireless: Sennheiser is the only real choice but they won't compare to your 650's in terms of sound. 650's are hi-fi, pure audiophile level goodness, no wireless setup will ever be as good as them.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-wireless

There is a review of the range of sennheiser wireless headphones.

Wired then you want a mixamp (because it does virtual surround sound)

As for headphones

AKG K701
AKG K702
AKG Q701

all of them are top end for gaming the K701/K702 are slightly better iirc but there isn't much in it.

Their soundstage is sooooooooooooooo wide you will think your surrounded.

edit:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18607681

there is the official Q701 owners club (which I basically helped create on here). I posted a deal for people which let them buy them for £95 including P and P from USA. Most people also avoided customs so they paid £95 total. They retail for £200-£300 over here.

The K701/K702 is available for £160-£200 here iirc

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers for the recommendations and quick reply my man, appreciate it.

Couldn't agree more about the 650's, best headphones I've ever owned :)
I know that a wireless setup would never sound anywhere near that good, that's why I haven't bought anything just yet.

I literally just came across a review of the AKG K701's right before I read your reply! Instant messy drooling want LOL!!

Watched a youtube clip of a scottish chap with the 701's, Astro Mixamp, and he also had a tube amp thrown in there too (a Schiit Vali). Is one of those bad boys needed to drive those cans?

Wired then you want a mixamp (because it does virtual surround sound)

Would the virtual surround provided by a mixamp not work on a wireless set like the RS 180's? (either way I think I've gone off the idea of wireless!)

Caporegime
OP
A schiit vali is only needed if you want to use a mic. You don't so the mixamp on it's own should be sufficient. It's only when you split the power between a mic and headphones does the mixamp not provide enough juice for AKG's, simply put your dial to 100% game and you should be fine.

FYI I'm Scottish and own a Schiit Vali but it's not my video lol. I only just got my Vali on Saturday (4 days ago).

The vali is Schiit's budget tube amp, they have a lot better ones but this little thing is amazing for £100 (I bought mine off ebay second hand and only 3 days old the original owner bought it and it didn't live up to their expectations they were used to using gear worth several thousand pounds obviously a £100 amp wouldn't match up to that, so he ordered a Asgard or Valhalla iirc).

If you don't use voice chat then just get a mixamp, if you do then you will need an additional amp.

Soldato
I have a Sennheiser Xense Pc350 + Sound card for my PC and was wondering if there was a EASY(ish) way of being able to use this on my PS4 (preferably at the same time as on my PC)

It has the 6.3mm Audio Jacks on the headset instead of USB or 3mm. I figured it may be a tad tricky or expensive but anything that saves me buying a second headset etc will be great.

I was doing this on my ps3 via my monitor, so I had my PS3 plugged into my monitor via HDMI, Then on the audio out jack on my monitor that was then plugged into the capture point on my sound card and playing via my PC headset. It worked OK apart from a slight buzzing and this meant I could play GTA5 with my brother and chat to him on skype at the same time. I would like to avoid this on my PS4 as I intend to play with others who do not have the PC and PS4 in the same room and would like to use a decent headset and comms.

Last edited:
Soldato
I could I guess, I take it this will mean only the PC or the PS4 can be plugged in at any one time though and would require switching the plugs between the 2 when done?

Caporegime
OP
I could I guess, I take it this will mean only the PC or the PS4 can be plugged in at any one time though and would require switching the plugs between the 2 when done?

You could use the mixamp with your pc as well. USB Cable for PC and Chat cable (DS4 cable) for PS4.

Then you would need a toslink switch, etc as well.

You would still need to do some plugging and unplugging but it would just be 1 cable.

Soldato
hmmm that may be the way I have to go but it effectively renders my sound card useless in my PC and I was trying to avoid the plugging/unplugging thing.

May just be simpler to get a second headset. May just buy the PS GOLD wireless headset and have done with it, At least it will fold away on my desk.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Depends how much you value convenience over sound quality. Only you can make that decision for yourself.

You could always sell your current headset and sound card use a mixamp instead with some akg's

Associate
I just bought the AKG K702's from Thommans for €215 with free delivery.

Includes a 3 Year warranty and a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee, can't go wrong there!

Now just need to try source a Mixamp. Gonna try get a 2nd hand one if I can. Can't wait for the new setup, I love buying new gear ha! Thanks again Sonny.

I read that some people found the bass to be a tad lacking in the K701's and the K702's. Some owners even opened up their headphones and removed a small piece of foam or fabric or something to give the bass a little boost without affecting the rest of the sound.

Others insist that the bass is meant to sound the way it does naturally without modding the headphones.

What do you think about this? Did you do any modding on your AKG's?

Caporegime
OP
I just bought the AKG K702's from Thommans for €215 with free delivery.

Includes a 3 Year warranty and a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee, can't go wrong there!

Now just need to try source a Mixamp. Gonna try get a 2nd hand one if I can. Can't wait for the new setup, I love buying new gear ha! Thanks again Sonny.

I read that some people found the bass to be a tad lacking in the K701's and the K702's. Some owners even opened up their headphones and removed a small piece of foam or fabric or something to give the bass a little boost without affecting the rest of the sound.

Others insist that the bass is meant to sound the way it does naturally without modding the headphones.

What do you think about this? Did you do any modding on your AKG's?

Doing the mod slightly decreases the soundstage. It also then effects the mid range.

For gaming leave them stock. For music/movies I would mod them.

I have left mine stock as they are my gaming cans (along with my HD558's which I will be modding into 598's). I use HD600 for music and Fidelio X1 for music/movies, I have no provisionally sold the X1's and getting HE400's for music/movies.

the Q701 thread in sound city has loads of info about the AKG range worth a read

Looking at the opening post you mention the Panasonic HTF600.. Are they not poor build quality?

They cost <£30 I wouldn't expect rolls royce for that kind of money but for £30 they are superb headphones. Comfort is superb on them but SQ isn't as good as Koss Porta Pro's or KSC75's.

If your on a budget get the porta pro's and mod them.

Back
Top Bottom