The official PS4 Headset/Headphones Guide/Discussion

Soldato
I completely misunderstand :p Let me just list out what I have connected where...

PS4 -> Decoder (via optical)
PS4 -> Decoder (via USB for power)
Decoder -> inline control box
inline control box -> headset

That is all that is wired as per the manual, and I have set the PS4 settings to the following:
Audio output = Digital Optical Out set at DD 5.1Ch
Output to headphones = Chat Audio
Audio Format (Priority) = Bitstream (Dolby). I tried Linear PCM but the decoder falls out of DD 5.1 if I do that.

With this set up the way it is the mic will not work. I get great sound but no mic?? I have then tried the xbox live connection from the pad to the inline controller and I can hear myself if I chat into the mic, but it doesn't broadcast. I have also tried plugging the headphones straight into the pad (decoder removed from the equation) and the mic works fine that way.

Caporegime
OP
see on the side of the decoder it says Power/PS3 voice.

You need to use the PS3 voice input on the decoder which I am assuming is USB.

you do not need anything connected to the DS4. Connect it up as you would to a PS3.

Caporegime
OP
Yup, got both the USB cables plugged into the front of the PS4 and the mini USB plugged into the decoder.

It should work then.

The ps4 should be picking up a USB headset.

Maybe you need to connect the power cable also?

There are 3 types of headset that work with ps4. USB, official Sony blue tooth and DS4 ones.

Make sure that you don't have any uneccesary wires connected.

Optical, USB, power and the lead to the headset that's it. Get rid of the 360 lead.

Caporegime
OP
The Turtle Beach PS4 cable worked to fix my issue, thanks for the help!

No problem.

I've ordered a astro propiatary cable to try and reduce the number of wires in my setup. Only works for mixamp's and is hit or miss with them. Worth the gamble if they pay off.

Ordered a mic off DX for like £2 as well to see if it's easier to use than my microphonic riddled belkin mic

Last edited:
Soldato
You do know it's impossible to get real 5.1/7.1 sound through decent headphones?

They are all stereo. The ones that do have multiple small drivers within each earpad are crap because the drivers are so small so sound quality on the real surround headphones is absolutely poo, quality drivers need space and you cannot fit 3-4 quality drivers on an earpad, the max you can get is one.

Do you want emulated surround which IMO is worse than a clean Stereo to stereo headphones but good for competitive gaming for directional input?

Basically what are you planning on using this setup for? Is it to play single player games or competitive online FPS?

My Roccat Kave true 5.1 will say other wise :D 40mm speakers.

Caporegime
OP
My Roccat Kave true 5.1 will say other wise :D 40mm speakers.

They are crap according to head fi

http://www.head-fi.org/t/500475/roccat-kave

Not sure if this is a live thread, but I'm one of the few people who've owned the Kave headphones. They definitely rumble and thump, but imo, the sound quality is just typical lackluster crap, like most 5.1 sets. I've had a lot of them: Triton, Razer, and the Kave's and all of them eventually disappoint. The Triton's were the best, but still not great.

Also, the Kave's are REALLY tight and hurt my head. The padding on the top band is pretty sad. I now own the DT770pro and an AKG702. Both are good in the bass department (yes, even the K702s when amped with my Little Dot MKii), but they don't shake your brains loose like the bloaty, farty Kave.

I'd go with a pair of beyerdynamics, either the dt770 or the dt990. Good bass with some nice thump, but with less bloat.

Soldato
Driver size is absolutely no indication of quality, especially in a sub £80 "gaming" headset. That said, they seem to get favourable reviews by people who don't know any better, which is who these products are aimed at.

Caporegime
OP
If you buy a "gaming headset" aimed at gamers your always going to get crap sound quality unless it's one of the very expensive sennheiser range.

The best wireless solution currently is a second hand 5.8 MIXAMP, the problem is getting a mic to work with this setup on a PS4 is retarded due to the way the PS4 is designed. I have just bought the old proprietary PS3/PC chat cable and if that works, it will sort all the issues I currently have with the 5.8 MIXAMP. Problem is it isn't guaranteed to work, for some reason some of the MIXAMPS won't work with it even though it was designed to be used with these MIXAMPS.

If you want wireless, good quality surround sound, then currently the best option is:

5.8 MIXAMP - £70-£80 second hand
Mic - £2-£3 from DX for a clip on or if you want to spend more money mod mic or if your headphones have a removeable cable v moda boom pro mic.

Headphones:

£30 budget - HTF 600 or SR850 (depending on if you value comfort or pure competitiveness)

£60-80 budget - HD 595 (second hand), HD 558 (second hand) or Creative Aurvana Live 1 or 2, personally I would pick the 595 because they are really a £150 headphone which their successor the 598 sells for (£150-£180) but if you don't wanna buy second hand both the creatives are a really good option. I've included the 558 here because it has a removeable cable which means they can be used with the v moda boom pro mic they are inferior to the 595 though but only just so it depends on what you prefer SQ or less wires.

£100+ budget - there's just so many different options, X1's, several from Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, etc, etc, it really comes down to personal preference in this budget the sky is the limit.

After my cable arrives and if it works, I will include several photos in this thread just to show you all how all these different setups work. My DX mic though will take about 30 days to arrive.

Wired setups work a lot better with the PS4 and I'm sure astro will have a new 2014 MIXAMP soon which solves all the current issues of having to have a stupid chat cable from the DS4.

If you don't need a mic then that is the easiest setup to have, all you need is a DAC/AMP and a pair of headphones or if you want wireless the 5.8 MIXAMP and a pair of headphones.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are they wireless?
Nope

They are crap according to head fi

http://www.head-fi.org/t/500475/roccat-kave

Not sure if this is a live thread, but I'm one of the few people who've owned the Kave headphones. They definitely rumble and thump, but imo, the sound quality is just typical lackluster crap, like most 5.1 sets. I've had a lot of them: Triton, Razer, and the Kave's and all of them eventually disappoint. The Triton's were the best, but still not great.

Also, the Kave's are REALLY tight and hurt my head. The padding on the top band is pretty sad. I now own the DT770pro and an AKG702. Both are good in the bass department (yes, even the K702s when amped with my Little Dot MKii), but they don't shake your brains loose like the bloaty, farty Kave.

I'd go with a pair of beyerdynamics, either the dt770 or the dt990. Good bass with some nice thump, but with less bloat.

Reviews speak for themselves, Maybe you didn't like them that dont mean they crap lol
They is countless reviews around and the headset has been around since 2010 and is still selling. I can agree with one thing and thats the padding on top it did hurt a first but now am used to them.
So just to point out just because you think something is crap dont for one sec make it out as hard fact. :D only reason why I posted he because you spreading info about 5.1 headsets like you Mr know it all.
I rate the Kaves very highly and I have used loads headsets over the years. I use them with Asus Xonar D2X what will help a lot over Onboard quality wise, What I love about the Kaves is the flexibility you have in getting the best sound from them. Fine adjust each sound Channel Front, Center Sub and Surround, want more rear sound just higher that up over the rest.
Have nice day.

Guess all these people also wrong :p

43 user reviews = 5 star
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-000-RC

Can't link but a well know site - 132 User Reviews = 4 stars
9/10 based on 6 User reviews
http://www.engadget.com/products/roccat/kave/

Last edited:
Soldato
General hardware review sites from people who make no mention of having dabbled with quality audio products. A cheap headset is never ever going to be anywhere near as good as what Sonny has mentioned.
You get what you pay for but if you are content with a low end headset then good for you. "Excellent bang for buck" speaks volumes. Not trying to sound like some audio snob by the way, I've tried many headsets and never been content until I spent a good amount of money on some decent headphones.
I think the first I had was a Creative Fatality one, had a Medusa 5.1 USB thing which again was ok for the price, best of the cheap ones I had was the Asus Vulcan ANC.

Last edited:
Soldato
General hardware review sites from people who make no mention of having dabbled with quality audio products. A cheap headset is never ever going to be anywhere near as good as what Sonny has mentioned.
You get what you pay for but if you are content with a low end headset then good for you. "Excellent bang for buck" speaks volumes.

I was waiting for you to say the Price :rolleyes: You do know this headset has been out Since 2010 and was Priced at £120 when first released. So you expect it to stay that price?

I bought RAM for Super cheap 8GB £40 that make that less Quality? I bought i7 2600k For half the price to when it was new Sorry thats also Low Quality.

Give me a break, I will base anything I buy on USER review well before any single review site.

Look at there latest model and that Price
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-005-RC

Caporegime
OP
Nope

Reviews speak for themselves, Maybe you didn't like them that dont mean they crap lol
They is countless reviews around and the headset has been around since 2010 and is still selling. I can agree with one thing and thats the padding on top it did hurt a first but now am used to them.
So just to point out just because you think something is crap dont for one sec make it out as hard fact. :D only reason why I posted he because you spreading info about 5.1 headsets like you Mr know it all.

Have nice day.

Please explain how you would connect these to a PS4?

impossible to do so without some sort of AVR or AMP of some sort, or maybe a DAC/AMP with 5.1 analogue output.

If you really think these are better than a pair of Sennheiser HD 595's which can be picked up second hand for the same price as these brand new, then your very much wrong. Even if you don't want to go second hand then Creative Aurvana would own these too for the same price brand new.

Headsets are good all in one solutions for people looking for a very simple setup. If my new proprietary astro chat cable works then I could show you a very simple 5.1 surround sound setup in pictures when I have everything I need in my possession.

I'm very new to this type of setup I have only used mid end headphones in the past HD25-1 II (£140-£180 brand new) for music only, never for gaming. So I have made some slight mistakes when buying a headset setup for the PS4, one being £5 on the belkin mic (it works very wellbut has microphonics issues), the other being the turtle beach chat cable for £5 (it works but spending £75 on a 5.8 MIXAMP for it's wireless properties is completely negated by the fact I need a cable running from the DS4 to the wireless receiver).

All in all £10 thrown away on some things I tried out. So I've now gambles £8 on a new wire which will hopefully solve the dreaded PS4 chat cable issue once and for all by using the USB of the PS4 to output a 3.5mm line into the wireless transmitter, leaving my DS4 completely wire free.

I can assure you 595's would spank that Razer headset for gaming:

"MY TOP CHOICES (for quick reference)

Competitive:

K701
Q701
SRH1840
K702 65th Anniversary Edition
MA900
Alpha Dog
HD598
PC360
AD700
SR-407
ESP-950

Fun:

D7000
LCD-2
Fidelio X1
DT990
Mad Dog v.3.2
Pro 900
HE-400
Alpha Dog
MA900
Creative Aurvana Live!
SLYR

All-rounders (for both uses):

D7000
Fidelio X1
LCD-2
Alpha Dog
HE-400
MA-900
SR-407
MrSpeakers Mad Dog v.3.2
DT990
ESP-950
Creative Aurvana Live!"

The 595s are the older version of the 598 from the above list. The creatives from the above list are <£53 brand new

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-51EF0060AA001-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000W6Y0JY

and their newer better version are around £90

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Au...UTF8&qid=1395835489&sr=1-16&keywords=Creative

here are their reviews from a gaming perspective:

Sennheiser HD598

You all know it as an improved HD595, which is a consistent fave among gamers, especially those who use virtual surround amps like the Mixamp. My opinion? The hype is well justified, at least when it comes to the HD598. They are incredibly well balanced. Somewhat bass neutral, mids are pretty up front and center, and neutral treble (never harsh) translates to a very promising headphone for gaming on paper. And I'm happy to report that they are ABSOLUTELY phenomenal for gaming. They belong right up there with the AD700 and K701 when it comes to my very faves hardcore gaming headphones. Soundstage? Check. Positional accuracy? Double check. Detail retrieval? Triple check. The trifecta. It's missing nothing for those needs. The bass may be a bit too laid back for those wanting some immersion in their non-competitive gaming however.

Comfort-wise: It's a hit or miss. The pads are huge and give your ears plenty of space to breathe. My issue is mostly with the clamp. Sennheiser just seems to design some pretty clampy headphones. Like the PC360, the only way I can find them comfy is to over extend them, and give them a loose fit.

Fun: 6.5/10 (Pretty Decent)

Competitive: 9.5/10 (Amazing)

Comfort: 7/10 (Good)

Creative Aurvana Live! (aka "CAL")

Creative and Fostex partnered up to give us the relatively inexpensive Creative Aurvana Live. It shares most of it's design with the discontinued Denon D1001, with the same bio cellulose drivers, and very few, superficial differences. From what I have personally read, the Creative Aurvana Live has been known to be the slightly superior of the two sonically, made even better at the fact that the CAL was the less expensive of the two, and is still sold today. The CAL can be considered as the baby sibling of the incredibly popular and discontinued Denon D2000, D5000, D7000 headphones, all which came with bio-cellulose Fostex drivers.

Build Quality: The CAL is known as a small circumaural. Not as small as typical on ear headphones, but not as large as most full sized headphones. The CAL is incredibly lightweight. It has a classy piano black, glossy finish on the plastic cups with chrome accents, the only thing on the cups being Creative branding. The headband has both metal and plastic pieces, relatively thin as well. The headband padding is covered in some smooth but quality, synthetic leather.

The pads are also made up of synthetic leather/pleather, and are quite soft. The pads are on the small side for a circumaural headphone, with a lack of width and depth for bigger ears.

The CAL's cable is personally what I find to be it's worst aspect in terms of build quality. Each cup houses a thin, somewhat flimsy cable which meet just over a foot down the cable's length. The cable is quite short, terminating into a small 3.5mm plug. Good thing the CAL comes with an extension cable. The cables are rubbery and will 'grip' onto everything, which I personally find quite annoying.

Comfort:

The Creative Aurvana Live! is a rarity for me in terms of comfort. I tend to hate headphones with pleather pads, especially closed headphones. I personally find the CAL to be quite comfortable. It is odd, as not only is it pleather padded (very soft pads), but the pads aren't wide or deep, so my ears press up against the drivers and the inner walls of the pads. This is usually disastrous for a headphone's long-term wearing comfort, yet, I don't find the CAL to be problematic. Perhaps it's due to how light the CAL is, and how the CAL doesn't exactly exert a lot of clamping pressure. That being said, I do know that a lot of people have issues with these very things, so keep that in mind.

Design Issues:

As stated earlier, the pads are neither deep nor wide, so larger ears may find their ears pressing against the drivers.

Accessories:

The CAL comes with a small, cloth carrying pouch, an extension cable, and a gold-plated 6.3mm adapter. The carrying pouch won't offer any real protection from anything other than scratches/scuffs.

Isolation/Leakage:

The CAL is exactly like the other Fostex/Denon 'marriage' headphones. They do not isolate that well for a closed headphone. They DO keep from leaking internal noise out to the world quite well, but aren't the best at keeping external noise from leaking in. Better than an open headphone, but far from the best at external noise control. Long story short, if you want a headphone that keeps noise OUT, the CAL is not it. However, if you want a late night headphone that won't bother other people around you (i.e. the sleeping girlfriend), the CAL is quite proficient in noise leak.

Sound:

The Creative Aurvana Live is a wonderful sounding headphone. It's relatively warm, spacious, and detailed. It has a fantastic balance of bass, mids, and treble, not usually found in their price range. It's not a neutral headphone, but for a sub-$100 headphone, it's clearly one of the best headphones I've ever heard, if not THE best. Fostex knows their headphones. The CAL is warm, bassy (not overly so), with smooth mids, and detailed treble, without being overbearing. Mostly organic, and natural sounding, with few caveats.

Bass:

The CAL's bass is warm, full, rich, organic, and soft hitting. Not particularly quick, but well integrated with the mids, giving the CAL it's deliciously warm tonality. It's emphasized, but never truly overbearing. One of the best I've heard in terms of ambience, emphasis, and integration.

Mids:

The CAL has organic, fluid mids. Not incredibly rich or forward, but very well behaved, balanced, and again, expertly integrated. It in all honesty, the CAL puts some of the more expensive headphones to shame. Bassy headphones tend to ruin mids in some form or another. Not so with the CAL. If you like a good amount of bass, and don't want to sacrifice vocals, the CAL makes a wonderful headphone for those purposes. The only real negative aspect to the mids is that the upper mids/lower treble may at times come off just a little thin. Not recessed or lacking, but not as organic and natural.

Treble:

The treble is probably the weakest aspect of the CAL's sound. Note: I said WEAKEST. Not that it was bad in general. The treble has nice amount of presence and energy. Not particularly aggressive or sharp. It has a good mix of smoothness and sparkle. The lower treble may have just a hint of glare, but it's rarely ever problematic.

Soundstage:

In true Fostex fashion, the CAL has a truly impressive soundstage. It is a closed headphone, yet instrument separation and a virtual sense of space this big is just unheard of in most closed headphones, regardless of price range. Sure, it's not going to trump the well known open soundstages of headphones like the DT990, K70x, and X1, but even next to those, the CAL's soundstage will still impress. Not the deepest, or widest, but very good all around.

Positioning:

The CAL has very good positional cues. Positional cues are very well defined, with plenty of virtual space to maneuver. Among the best closed headphones in this regard.

Clarity:

The CAL's clarity if quite impressive, especially considering the price. Despite the CAL leaning on musicality and not neutrality, the warm, bassy nature of the CAL does not detract from it's well presented mids and good treble range. Nothing is ever truly lost, making the CAL a solid gaming headphone if you want clarity without sacrificing musicality and overall enjoyment for the sake of sound-whoring.

Amping:

The Creative Aurvana Live! is an efficient headphone, demanding minimal amping. It benefits more from a clean source, and not so much power. Mixamp owners will have no problem using the Mixamp alone to power the CAL.

Value:

At under $100, the Creative Aurvana Live is what I consider to be the epitome of bang for buck headphones. I have compared it directly to other, considerably more expensive headphones, and personally found the CAL to either meet or exceed their performance. If you want an inexpensive, efficient, and fantastic sounding headphone, the CAL is practically begging for your money.

Comparisons:

Audio Technica ATH-M50: The CAL/Denon D1001 were always stacked up and compared to the M50 due to a somewhat similar price range and similar strengths/weaknesses. I personally find the CAL and M50 to be on a very comparable performance/technical level, though they aren't exactly similar.

The M50s are more aggressive, while the CAL is more laidback with a better sense of depth and width. The M50 has a sharper, faster attack in the bass and more bite in the treble, making it a bit more dynamic than the CAL, and better suited for faster genres like metal. However, the M50 has a smaller, more congested soundstage, which pales in comparison to the excellent soundstage on the CAL.

Ultimately, this means the CAL is a softer, more relaxed (but never boring), more polite, less fatiguing alternative to the M50. It is also clearly superior to the M50 for gaming due to a bigger soundstage and better positional cues.

The M50 has a much more rugged, durable, build quality, and can stand a bit more abuse than the CAL.

Final Impressions:

The Creative Aurvana Live! is a not so hidden gem in the headphone community. The secret came out years ago, and with good reason. Fantastic warm tonality, good bass presence, fluid mids, with a truly spacious soundstage, all for an incredibly affordable price. Then one true drawback on the CAL may be that it's comfort level may be good for some, not for others. I believe it's truly worth checking out.

Final Scores...

Fun: 8/10 (Great. Full, warm, immersive, and entertaining)

Competitive: 7.25/10 (Good. Even for a warm and slightly reserved sound signature, the soundstage and positional cues are good for competitive play).

Comfort: 8 (Great. Even for a small circumaural, I find them to be very comfortable, with the only negatives being that the pads are shallow and small and may crush other's ears. I didn't have issues with it though.)

bare in mind both of these can be bought for around £65 (second hand) and £53 (brand new) respectively.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Guess all these people also wrong :p

43 user reviews = 5 star

Can't link but a well know site - 132 User Reviews = 4 stars
9/10 based on 6 User reviews
http://www.engadget.com/products/roccat/kave/

how many of those people are audiophiles?

why do they get slated on head fi?

you could show me a £500 gaming headset by Razer and I could show you a £200 pair of headphones which beats it for sound quality.

Because headphones are designed for sound quality, gaming headsets are not therefore £ for £ headphones are far superior.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was waiting for you to say the Price :rolleyes: You do know this headset has been out Since 2010 and was Priced at £120 when first released. So you expect it to stay that price?

I bought RAM for Super cheap 8GB £40 that make that less Quality? I bought i7 2600k For half the price to when it was new Sorry thats also Low Quality.

Give me a break, I will base anything I buy on USER review well before any single review site.

Look at there latest model and that Price
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-005-RC

You're missing the point, true 5,1 headsets with good SQ simply don't exist, it's a gimmick. £120, brilliant, some people got absolutely caught with their pants down there, and for £140 christ, I'd be getting professional headphones for near that.. Head fi is user reviews, but by people who buy quality gear generally and have broader experience in all things audio. It's ok to use user reviews as a for case but you cannot ignore them against as well. I wouldn't use user reviews on engadget or OCUK to decide about a TV, I'd use AV forums etc.
Like I said, ' glad you like them but they will not compare anywhere near to good headphones for the same price (be it £80 and especially not £120), heck I think my ATH M50's cost £60..) If your headset was really the exception to the rule I'd see them recommended more, have a Google for true surround headsets and even non audio sites are filled with "don't bother".
The well known site you mentioned, 84 reviews 4 star and above, 48 1-3*. Doesn't prove anything either way but its split right down the middle. All this aside, glad you like them but regardless of what Bob says on his review, it's not comparable with high end audio, simple.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
You're missing the point, true 5,1 headsets with good SQ simply don't exist, it's a gimmick. £120, brilliant, some people got absolutely caught with their pants down there, and for £140 christ, I'd be getting professional headphones for near that.. Head fi is user reviews, but by people who buy quality gear generally and have broader experience in all things audio. It's ok to use user reviews as a for case but you cannot ignore them against as well. I wouldn't use user reviews on engadget or OCUK to decide about a TV, I'd use AV forums etc.
Like I said, ' glad you like them but they will not compare anywhere near to good headphones for the same price (be it £80 and especially not £120), heck I think my ATH M50's cost £60..) If your headset was really the exception to the rule I'd see them recommended more, have a Google for true surround headsets and even non audio sites are filled with "don't bother".
The well known site you mentioned, 84 reviews 4 star and above, 48 1-3*. Doesn't prove anything either way but its split right down the middle. All this aside, glad you like them but regardless of what Bob says on his review, it's not comparable with high end audio, simple.

+1

If I go into currys and ask their "expert" what to buy in terms of a great TV he will just recommend me some LCD which he will refer to as an "LED TV" which is incorrect, etc, etc.

I'm also willing to bet that TV is reviewed highly on their website, etc. That's because people who buy TV's from currys and the people that work there don't know what a decent TV is.

Once you have owned a Pioneer or Panasonic Plasma you will never want to buy an LCD again because your too used to having the best PQ available.

LCD's also cost more than their better Plasma rivals.

I could show you a <£800 plasma which smashes a £2000+ LCD out the ball park. So why do the masses buy LCD's and rate them so highly? Because they aren't enthusiasts after the best in terms of Picture Quality. Spending more money doesn't guarantee anything even in the headphone market. Companies like Beats by Dre and BOSE make some hugely expensive crappy headphones which ones costing 10% could match in terms of SQ.

Last edited:
Soldato
I sold out :( I returned the Monoprice headset and bought some 2nd hand PX4! The wireless and ease was important enough to compromise the sound. Don't get me wrong, the sound is great from the PX4, however, the monoprice set were much clearer, much more defined. Until I can afford a set of decent wireless (that also have Sony support) these will do me :)

Caporegime
OP
I sold out :( I returned the Monoprice headset and bought some 2nd hand PX4! The wireless and ease was important enough to compromise the sound. Don't get me wrong, the sound is great from the PX4, however, the monoprice set were much clearer, much more defined. Until I can afford a set of decent wireless (that also have Sony support) these will do me :)

The PS4's lack of connectivity/options is driving me mental.

I have over £300's worth of headphones here and I'm thinking I got the wrong mixamp. It will do for now, wait for ASTRO to make a new PS4 version and get that. Will most likely be wired though which will be annoying.

Back
Top Bottom