• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Ray Tracing Thread - Read the First Post before posting***

Epic made dev lives easier with UE5, you can basically make an entire CG movie in UE5 using default assets from what I've seen and the creative artists then just import their own stuff as needed. Leaves more time for them to polish up the script, work on animation and stuff instead of having to go back and forth with pre-baked rendering and other manual labour tasks as Lumen/Nanite removes that complexity.

The fact that All of the UE5 games out now use Lumen in RT form is quite interesting, it shows devs prefer this, even if software Lumen is still flawed and shows the underlying screen space effects in various places.

Once PS5 Pro is out, the next step in accelerated RT adoption will take place, that's when we'll see the backside of raster I guess once and for all.

I think the way most UE5 games are doing it is the correct approach. There is RT for the majority at varying levels. The old approach was to give you RT with blurrovision as the fps was not good enough so Dlss 1.0 had to be used. The upscaling techs are improving and with FG it gets the fps up to PC levels. If the input lag is not there then all good. Things are coming along nicely and yea i will get a ps5 pro as that's where i do all my sp gaming. PC for me is competitive online so RT is not to important to me there.

Epic made dev lives easier with UE5, you can basically make an entire CG movie in UE5 using default assets from what I've seen and the creative artists then just import their own stuff as needed. Leaves more time for them to polish up the script, work on animation and stuff instead of having to go back and forth with pre-baked rendering and other manual labour tasks as Lumen/Nanite removes that complexity.

The fact that All of the UE5 games out now use Lumen in RT form is quite interesting, it shows devs prefer this, even if software Lumen is still flawed and shows the underlying screen space effects in various places.

Once PS5 Pro is out, the next step in accelerated RT adoption will take place, that's when we'll see the backside of raster I guess once and for all.
This was all said about 4 years ago, The two of you act like this is some kind of revelation that you have stumbled upon.

Back then the majority of people accepted the following to be true:
Games currently in development needed to get finished before anything new could start, tacking on RT in the middle of development was nothing but an experiment/learning objective
The devs needed time to learn and decide how to work with the tech
The software/game engines (UE5 etc) needed time to mature so that duplication of work was no longer required
The hardware needed time to mature and performance increased(at the sub £500 price).... coming soon
The consoles would need a half refresh/full replacement....also coming soon.

It's really not that surprising at all.

At the moment Nvidias biggest advantage is RR as AMD won't be able to replicate that any time soon and since they've lost the FG exclusivity I expect them to leverage an improved RR feature set with the 5000 series.

The writing was on the walls when devs started to show their workflows of raster and RT implementation compared as well as other industries i.e. film and tv talking about the huge benefits of time saved and the advantages of not having prebaked lighting etc. Metro EE comparison was a real eye opener, 30 minutes to do one frame/scene with one light source compared to the instant click of RT method..... I wasn't convinced at time of control and BF 5 (especially since DLSS 1 was utter ****) but when we started getting more games then DLSS 2 and in depth insights (mostly from Alex), it was obvious what way devs would go especially over the past 3-4 years where cost savings have been extremely sought after to the point a lot of tech companies are embracing the "do more with less" mindset.

The number of games out using anything beyond basic RT was tiny though, so it was all new ground for everyone back then.

According to Google, this is what had some form of RT in 2020:

BgEEI99.png

And yes, it was solely based off the visuals of Cyberpunk (and then later when Witcher 3 Next Gen got the RT update) that I personally knew that RT was the future and as things matured, this would be common adoption, which is exactly what we are seeing now, yet the same people online are still passing judgement on it, though now isolated to small bubbles online as oposed to the widespread hate that was seen before.

The reason for this is simple, only one vendor does RT properly, because they to this day still actively develop RT advances. The Frame Gen/DLSS dll files get updated every few months and supports better IQ, less ghosting in various games and better performance even if tiny gains in fps, they then provide the tools for devs whether indie or AAA to add RT/PT into their games and provide sfull engineering support to make it happen.

Meanwhile, we have documented records from industry insider of AMD providing the support structure for FSR3 to devs and then going "make it work in your game" - Or words to that effect which probably explains why even AMD sponsored games have never once launched with the latest AMD tech, which ironically meant that Nvidia cards were running those AMD games better than AMD cards were....

Yup we had an absolute ton of games using RT over the past 3 years, ranging from light RT to heavy as **** RT, anytime ever questioned what all these non RT games where back then, I always got referenced to the steam list where it was mostly old games before RT or/and indie games which no one has heard about....

Dying light 2 was a heavy RT game that really showed the lighting and shadows well compared to other RT games at the time but alas it got **** on because "raster had been downgraded to make RT look better".

Funnily one of my favourites is still riftbreaker, amd sponsored and pretty light RT but man does it look good :cool:

Last edited:
Hah saw this earlier, still think this game will be technically flawed. Watch at 31s onwards of the sand bike as the building approaches, the frametime pacing is terrible and I fully expect the mouse camera juddering just like in Jedi Survivor and Fallen order to show its head again and they spend months fixing it.

Hah saw this earlier, still think this game will be technically flawed. Watch at 31s onwards of the sand bike as the building approaches, the frametime pacing is terrible and I fully expect the mouse camera juddering just like in Jedi Survivor and Fallen order to show its head again and they spend months fixing it.

Yeah performance etc. is looking rather dodgy :/ Shame if so as it's the snowdrop engine and avatar ran very well. However, could be down to them releasing it on the old gen consoles which has caused a whole ton of issues :rolleyes:

I have only had my current card a year so most likely won't be upgrading soon so by the time i do upgrade AMD may have caught up so will hopefully have 2 options maybe 3 if Intel ever do anything. I only ran this bench as it was free and wanted to see if it looked good. Obviously the full Nvidia RT setting tanked bad as it's too much but i found that running the Super Resolution at 80% gave a really nice image with stock RT. You will be happy to know i used Fsr and FG to get the fps i wanted hahaha. FSR at the 50% Super resolution was not to my liking so had to up that setting and the game looked pretty good with over 100fps average. The only thing the demo can't tell me is how it would feel to play with the FG enabled. I might get the game for rent on Ps5 if it turns out any good.

I honestly can't remember the last Single player game i played on the PC so RT for now is not really something i will use. It's still nice to see it in action first hand though and the stock RT in this demo looked pretty good.

By the time you upgrade RT will be more of a thing. In single player games anyway which is all I play.

Will be interesting to see if AMD can catch up yo nvidia in say 2 gens time. I would actually be happy even if they can get to 80-90% of where nvidia are by then.

I am happy they are spending money on the software side of things. As you know I don't give a crap if my card is a Radeon or a GeForce and the end result is all that matters. So would be great to have Radeon up there and competing again. More than happy to have an all AMD system again :D

By the time you upgrade RT will be more of a thing. In single player games anyway which is all I play.

Will be interesting to see if AMD can catch up yo nvidia in say 2 gens time. I would actually be happy even if they can get to 80-90% of where nvidia are by then.

I am happy they are spending money on the software side of things. As you know I don't give a crap if my card is a Radeon or a GeForce and the end result is all that matters. So would be great to have Radeon up there and competing again. More than happy to have an all AMD system again :D

Same.

AMD just need to get their upscaling matching dlss, ray reconstruction, SDR to HDR conversion and then I can finally switch back to them! Although the lack of being able to play rtx remix titles is a big turn off but sadly amd can't do anything here. Since no longer playing at 3440x1440 and at 4k now, DLDSR is no longer important to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Same.

AMD just need to get their upscaling matching dlss, ray reconstruction, SDR to HDR conversion and then I can finally switch back to them! Although the lack of being able to play rtx remix titles is a big turn off but sadly amd can't do anything here. Since no longer playing at 3440x1440 and at 4k now, DLDSR is no longer important to me.

Too funny seeing you and mrk "ultrawide is life" boys rocking 4K monitors :cry:

It's only a stop gap remember, soon as 40" ultrawide with 240Hz and 5120x2160 is out, I'm back. For now 32" 4K 240 > 3440x1440 21:9 :cool: - The 240Hz ultrawides don't count as they are not gen 3 QD-OLED.

Last edited:
It's only a stop gap remember, soon as 40" ultrawide with 240Hz and 5120x2160 is out, I'm back. For now 32" 4K 240 > 3440x1440 21:9 :cool: - The 240Hz ultrawides don't count as they are not gen 3 QD-OLED.

You say that now. But when the time comes you will keep what you got :p

Just loving all this RT goodness oozing now :D :cool:

That's more like it! Although frame pacing looks a bit iffy.....
Yup, finaly games are starting to Not; look like the sh** we have been seying for the past 20 damn years or so ..LOL!

All thanks to nVidia, who got the snowball roling - RT was the wholy grail all along as we know. So without them, we still would have the AMpe old tech - no progreeeesion ever crap!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom