• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Ray Tracing Thread - Read the First Post before posting***

First game was very RT heavy so this one should be to although they'll probably move to UE 5 so most likely be software based but hopefully they provide hardware RT too.

e7EHT8M.png

Xo4dF8G.png

vqC4U3F.png

RDNA 2 needing FG to keep up with competing gpus without FG! Yikes! :eek:
Are you surprised? The Full ray tracing option is literally for Nvidia so optimised for RTX. When you go to this option it says Enabling Nvidia full Ray Tracing. We know AMD 7900xtx is at 3090 levels of RT yet in this it's not even close. AMD and most Nvidia users will pretty much have to settle for the standard RT that can't be switched off. In this mode it's easily playable and still looks decent.

Last edited:
People need to stop saying RTX optimised, if any other card could do RT or PT properly then they'd get just as good performance. Also the fact that older and lower model RTX cards can't run high performance in PT mode either as it's a top end card feature.

The only difference here is up to 10fps with path or ray tracing thanks to ray reconstruction which only RTX cards support right now, will AMD support it some way in the future? Who knows but the hardware isn't up to the task with any other cards today that's what it boils down to not that it's somehow only optimised for RTX cards because RT and PT at their core are just DXR API functions in these games which is a universal standard for n whatever cards can handle the performance hit of real time ray and path tracing.

By saying it's RTX optimised assumes that AMD stand no chance at all but in actual fact they didn't care to put focus on RT hardware for so long.

It's still early days for Intel though.

So yeah it's not an optimisation issue, it's a hardware issue, AMD just didn't care and fell behind two generations of RT advancement.

Last edited:
People need to stop saying RTX optimised, if any other card could do RT or PT properly then they'd get just as good performance.

The only difference here is up to 10fps with path tracing thanks to ray reconstruction which only RTX cards support right now, will AMD support it some way in the future? Who knows but the hardware isn't up to the task with any other cards today that's what it boils down to not that it's somehow only optimised for RTX cards because RT and PT at their core are just DXR API functions in these games which is a universal standard for n whatever cards can handle the performance hit of real time ray and path tracing.

By saying it's RTX optimised assumes that AMD stand no chance at all but in actual fact they didn't care to put focus on RT hardware for so long.

It's still early days for Intel though.

So yeah it's not an optimisation issue, it's a hardware issue, AMD just didn't care and fell behind two generations of RT advancement.
I am not saying the hardware is great at RT but the option literally says Nvidia so what makes you think it's not optimised for RTX cards.

Techpowerup do a decent selection of RT games and the average looks nothing like this.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/xfx-radeon-rx-7900-xtx-magnetic-air/33.html

The RT option is plainly meant for Nvidia or it wouldn't say Nvidia. This ain't any where close to the norm. Any how 95% won't be touching that option especially at 4k as its not going to be playable.

Yup, nvidia nailed it with their RTX marketing! RTX is purely just nvidias branding name for their features. AMD is performing exactly where it should regardless of it being nvidia or amd game when it comes to RT grunt. I think the only exception we have had is FC 6.

It's simply as DF/Alex have said all along, the more RT there is, the harder AMD fall because of their lack of RT hardware grunt.

The only thing RTX related where it is not optimised at all for AMD gpus is RTX remix titles because it is nvidias software doing the conversion/work to make said games RT.

Last edited:
Are you surprised? The Full ray tracing option is literally for Nvidia so optimised for RTX. When you go to this option it says Enabling Nvidia full Ray Tracing. We know AMD 7900xtx is at 3090 levels of RT yet in this it's not even close. AMD and most Nvidia users will pretty much have to settle for the standard RT that can't be switched off. In this mode it's easily playable and still looks decent.

It's a common trend among many UE 5 titles now regardless of nvidia being involved, 7900xtx is barely beating a 3090 and sometimes matching a 3080 in UE 5 with RT especially hardware RT.

Yup, nvidia nailed it with their RTX marketing! RTX is purely just nvidias branding name for their features. AMD is performing exactly where it should regardless of it being nvidia or amd game when it comes to RT grunt. I think the only exception we have had is FC 6.

It's simply as DF/Alex have said all along, the more RT there is, the harder AMD fall because of their lack of RT hardware grunt.
Yet the more RT there is the more Nvidia cards that can't keep up either. As you keep saying there is RT in this game by default and the AMD cards seem to do fine. I am not sure what the RTX branding has to do with it. I said RTX cards which is Nvidia cards that are designed with RT in mind. If i just specified Nvidia cards then that would be wrong.

It's a common trend among many UE 5 titles now regardless of nvidia being involved, 7900xtx is barely beating a 3090 and sometimes matching a 3080 in UE 5 with RT especially hardware RT.
In Alan Wake the 7900xtx matches the 4070ti super with RT enabled and in plaque tale more 3090 in the Techpower results. So UE5 does not seem to be the issue.

Any how if an option in any game says Nvidia, through years of experience it's probably going to tank my AMD card and i don't really blame NV as they put in the work most likely. Yet i don't think it's a great example to show how bad AMD RT is as it's not the norm.

Last edited:
Yet the more RT there is the more Nvidia cards that can't keep up either. As you keep saying there is RT in this game by default and the AMD cards seem to do fine. I am not sure what the RTX branding has to do with it. I said RTX cards which is Nvidia cards that are designed with RT in mind. If i just specified Nvidia cards then that would be wrong.

Yes, nvidia gets hit hard too but as shown, nowhere near as much as amd, this is nothing new, it's been this way since RT came about. Alex did a video ages ago showing what happens when more RT effects get added, more light bounces and so on, the harder the RT, the harder the hit for all gpus but more so amd because they simply aren't designed the same way.

The way you worded your OP, it sounded as if it is because it's optimised for nvidia more than amd because it's "RTX RT"? If you weren't referring to the implementation of RT then my bad.

In Alan Wake the 7900xtx matches the 4070ti super with RT enabled and in plaque tale more 3090 in the Techpower results. So UE5 does not seem to be the issue.

Any how if an option in any game says Nvidia, through years of experience it's probably going to tank my AMD card and i don't really blame NV as they put in the work most likely. Yet i don't think it's a great example to show how bad AMD RT is as it's not the norm.

AW 2 and plague tale? They're not UE 5.

It is quite simple really. If you have any interest in RT just buy an Nvidia card :p

Have you considered going nvidia for next upgrade at all? Yolo and all that? :D

It is quite simple really. If you have any interest in RT just buy an Nvidia card :p

Have you considered going nvidia for next upgrade at all? Yolo and all that? :D
I have only had my current card a year so most likely won't be upgrading soon so by the time i do upgrade AMD may have caught up so will hopefully have 2 options maybe 3 if Intel ever do anything. I only ran this bench as it was free and wanted to see if it looked good. Obviously the full Nvidia RT setting tanked bad as it's too much but i found that running the Super Resolution at 80% gave a really nice image with stock RT. You will be happy to know i used Fsr and FG to get the fps i wanted hahaha. FSR at the 50% Super resolution was not to my liking so had to up that setting and the game looked pretty good with over 100fps average. The only thing the demo can't tell me is how it would feel to play with the FG enabled. I might get the game for rent on Ps5 if it turns out any good.

I honestly can't remember the last Single player game i played on the PC so RT for now is not really something i will use. It's still nice to see it in action first hand though and the stock RT in this demo looked pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA

I've stopped caring about this, completely, whatever is going on with crap like this, be it that AMD hardware is just complete and utter junk or some weird shenanigans happening it just is what it is and going on the defensive because someone likes to spend all their waking hours pointing to it is daft, its a thread with 2 people who like pointing at slides, let them point, they are pointing against their own interest, just grab the _____ popcorn and enjoy the show.

You are correct just a bunch of youtubers with titles trying to get hits. Alan Wake 4090 ue5 was the title. Alan Wake is pretty heavy on the rt so surprised how well the 7900xtx holds up in that.
This all changes when enabling path tracing though, for what it's worth the 7900XTX isn't shocking;bad bad at normal ray tracing, it's only when you turn up the volume like enabling path tracing where things take a massive turn I guess, outside of using frame gen of course.

This all changes when enabling path tracing though, for what it's worth the 7900XTX isn't shocking;bad bad at normal ray tracing, it's only when you turn up the volume like enabling path tracing where things take a massive turn I guess, outside of using frame gen of course.

Well that's the thing really, 7900xt(x) RT is decent tbf even in hard hitting RT titles, after all, 3080/3090 RT perf is nothing to sniff at but the big problem is..... it's 4 years old performance now (then factor in what people paid for them RDNA 3 gpus....). This is why I kept saying all along that AMD GPUs would not age well when it came to RT especially RDNA 2 but then we had people saying "RT is in a handful of titles, no one cares"...... even though 3-4 years ago, it was in already in far more than a "handful" and people did care except for the amd fans/RT naysayers, fast forward to now, as you said in another thread, the RT naysayers seem to have died down now..... I'll be honest though, I really was not expecting RT adoption rate to accelerate at this pace but then I didn't expect so many devs to also be moving towards UE 5!

Back
Top Bottom