**The Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow Of Chernobyl Thread**

i've heard this game runs like utter utter crap on vista so far. crashing in game, crash to desktop, freezing computer, crash when you save, crash getting to options menu's.

i've pre-ordered, might well cancel. graphically not impressive, good lighting and horrible horrible textures, people look fairly poor and so do guns, damage system seems to be a joke. the only thing this game seems to do well is lighting effects. infact its all anyone is talking about.

drunkenmaster said:
i've heard this game runs like utter utter crap on vista so far. crashing in game, crash to desktop, freezing computer, crash when you save, crash getting to options menu's.

i've pre-ordered, might well cancel. graphically not impressive, good lighting and horrible horrible textures, people look fairly poor and so do guns, damage system seems to be a joke. the only thing this game seems to do well is lighting effects. infact its all anyone is talking about.

Yeah i have heard of save crashes in vista. Screenshots don't seem that impressive. Personally i think half-life 2 looks better.

Jesus those sytem requirements, you need a card that not even ******* out yet. :eek:

They must have just added and added when the new stuff came out, as for such an old game why the hell would it need a graphics card that aint out yet, and an E6700, HL2 came out long after the 9800pro's etc... and that still ran flat out on those cards when it acme out, if this things recommending those specs for High then its gona die on mid-low end, x800's forget it. :eek:

Just takes the whizz that, i bet i cant even run the thing decent. :(

Is this the first of many G80 killers. :D

Last edited:
LoadsaMoney said:
Is this the first of many G80 killers. :D
The only thing in this game that kills G80 is putting grass on max with lighting on max too, down to 30-50fps, or so I have heard. That's ridiculous considering how crap it looks on max, or so they say.

What bugs me about this game is that it's buggy as hell, glitchy. The AI acts retarded at times, and animations/models are so absolutely abysmal it's not even funny. Or so I have been told.

I think Im going to wait a while to hear the reactions from people who get it on launch. I cannot stand playing buggy, unfinished games, and by the sound of things, it seems that this game is no exception.

just had a blast of the full game and i have to say it looks absolutely flipping amazing.

but........ in order to get any kind of acceptable performance i have to run at low settings and @ 1024x768 with no AA or AF....like omfg lol i cant play like like that :confused:

i really need a faster gcard now after seeing it tho, best looking game i've seen.

its not unfinished, just crap, looking at least. my beta testing m8 says that yes the AI seems terrible. things like enemies not moving really, like one will be in a building and he'll just step to the door, shoot a couple times and step back but not really hide, or do anything new.

the reason its hard on graphics is this, you can have a cruddy looking game that uses an incredibly hard to create complex effect, it might look good but it can't make crappy textures any better. you can turn off the harder lighting effects so it can run great on any system. but spending so much time and effort on a few lighting effects on a basically fairly terrible engine is not what i want to see.

i'll take a great game with great graphics over a great game with bad graphics. but before you improve graphics or add excessive effects sort out AI, gameplay and the basics before you move on. i'd prefer to not have the lighting effects so spot on and have that power used for AI and better textures.

spookywillow said:
just had a blast of the full game and i have to say it looks absolutely flipping amazing.

but........ in order to get any kind of acceptable performance i have to run at low settings and @ 1024x768 with no AA or AF....like omfg lol i cant play like like that :confused:

i really need a faster gcard now after seeing it tho, best looking game i've seen.
If you don't mind me asking how have you managed to have a blast of the full game? :)

**edit**
What’s with all the negativity? The game isn’t even out yet and people are bashing it to hell. :|

Last edited:
spookywillow said:

lol, too funny, theres lots of stuff, its a very "busy" feel to it, but the trees and bushes feel not great at all, the characters look plain and boring, movement of AI is awful. what exactly looks so good? the broken down cars and thing just look crap. have you seen what new engines have been capable of, the level of detail of say gears of war/ut3 engine just craps all over this from a great height.

greeny_fastcar said:
If you don't mind me asking how have you managed to have a blast of the full game? :)

**edit**
What’s with all the negativity? The game isn’t even out yet and people are bashing it to hell. :|

cos its crap, and my m8 has played it with a 8800gtx and cd2 at 3.5Ghz, and 2gig mem and says its a bit poo. and "my m8" is a euphamism.

drunkenmaster said:
its not unfinished, just crap, looking at least. my beta testing m8 says that yes the AI seems terrible. things like enemies not moving really, like one will be in a building and he'll just step to the door, shoot a couple times and step back but not really hide, or do anything new.

the reason its hard on graphics is this, you can have a cruddy looking game that uses an incredibly hard to create complex effect, it might look good but it can't make crappy textures any better. you can turn off the harder lighting effects so it can run great on any system. but spending so much time and effort on a few lighting effects on a basically fairly terrible engine is not what i want to see.

i'll take a great game with great graphics over a great game with bad graphics. but before you improve graphics or add excessive effects sort out AI, gameplay and the basics before you move on. i'd prefer to not have the lighting effects so spot on and have that power used for AI and better textures.

What beta testing? There wasn't any beta testing and that's a well known fact. You had the mp beta but that was against other players. You sure your buddy excist?

drunkenmaster said:
cos its crap, and my m8 has played it with a 8800gtx and cd2 at 3.5Ghz, and 2gig mem and says its a bit poo. and "my m8" is a euphamism.
I do know that the game isnt for everybody, its not just a go in and shoot kinda game you have to actually think in-game, god forbid :eek: , you have to go through your backpack looking for the best tool for the job or watch to see how things turn out.

In one of the reviews the reviewer said he was trying to get into a cave to get some equipment and a horde of dogs were outside and he waited a few minutes to see if there was any pattern, there was not any pattern to see, but thankfully one of the boars annoyed a dog and the whole thing kicked off allowing him to sneak past unnoticed. I mean this game has some huge potential, if your into this kinda of game. :)

Just had a look on a NFO site, its pretty sad that its out there already, plus it seems like two "hacker" groups are having a stupid girly arguement about how they cracked the disc protection. Gah forget it.

Sad, sad day. :(

Back
Top Bottom