**The Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow Of Chernobyl Thread**

I remember the moderators cracking down on Gears of War piracy threads, why not this >< Piracy discussion are running rampant in here.

perhaps some certain people work in games stores etc. Either way, you're all naughty little sods.
Some good things being said about this, ie. wait and see how the story unfolds before you jump right in and turn it upside down.

Shame theres about 20x more bad things being said though. Is the AI really that bad? Sounds a bit HL2. No headshots? Oh, HL2 again anyone? Atleast that had a gravity gun and some cheesy gags

So what aspect of the game are you all looking forward to and please no gfx related posts saying meh gfx crap or whatever lol. :D

Personally im after a-life thing, which seems great to me. The gamestyle of stalking etc sounds good fun too. Missions are gona be whats gona keep me interested so i hope its very varied throughout. Especially hope theres long multitasked missions. I would be really happy if gta style missiong structure was in.

Neil79 said:
Edleake stop talking rubbish , the performance issues are pretty much in every single *cough* release....

Fair does but I know for a fact theres a bad one floating around, serves the people right for pirating if you ask me. Hope if screws a few machines. :p

I'm going to make this very quick since I want to get back to playing :D .
Take a good look at my sig. That system can play Stalker 100% maxed out with everything turned on, all sliders maxed and a rez of 1680X1050 at a comfortable 60FPS. The dynamic lighting didn't even make a blip on the 8800gts.

The gameworld is stunning. The textures are gorgeous when inspecting them ingame and even the character models look good. Screenshots and videos doesn't do it justice, believe me. Only played for 45min and had NO crashes, no lag, no slowdown of any kind. I haven't done any quests yet. Just too excited running through the bushes and old buildings breathing in the atmosphere. The A-life is there and it's goooooood. I really want to give examples what happens but I just HAVE to get back to the game playing.

Last word on graphics...easily, and I really mean easily, whips HL2 and Farcy!

i heard they are going to release modding tools, if they allow modders to get deep into the workings of the game, then many of these gripes may well be delt with..

devs do it for money, modders do it for the love of gaming.. and how many games have folk at home saved or lifted to a higher status by giving up their time?? Freelancer, HL, Q2, Q3, CS, X2/X3 and Oblivion to name a few.

it ain't dead yet whatever it's like out of the box..

regulus said:
Take a good look at my sig. That system can play Stalker 100% maxed out with everything turned on, all sliders maxed and a rez of 1680X1050 at a comfortable 60FPS. The dynamic lighting didn't even make a blip on the 8800gts.

The gameworld is stunning. The textures are gorgeous when inspecting them ingame and even the character models look good. Screenshots and videos doesn't do it justice, believe me. Only played for 45min and had NO crashes, no lag, no slowdown of any kind. I haven't done any quests yet. Just too excited running through the bushes and old buildings breathing in the atmosphere. The A-life is there and it's goooooood. I really want to give examples what happens but I just HAVE to get back to the game playing.

Aaaah some good news there then, my 8800GTX @ 1280x1024 should kick this right up the ****, thanks cant wait to get this now. :D

did someone actually say this effort of a game has better gfx than HL2 and farcry* .. lmao ... ignorance is bliss

Last edited:
regulus said:

Unlike what the others are saying, the reviews seem to agree with you. Those that say the textures are bad either don't have a clue, or are running with awful texture.

The Bit-Tech review here basically mirrors what you have said with regards to the performance and the graphics.

bit-tech said:
The textures in the game are pretty high resolution, and look very good when you get up close. The buildings and cities are all modelled on the real Chernobyl and surrounding areas, so it's appropriate that much of the artwork looks pretty realistic....................

.................. On Low, textures are blurry and ill-defined, whereas they can look photo realistic, at times, on Large.

bit-tech said:
High performance
We found that an average framerate of 35 was a great gaming experience, especially in our gunfight playthrough. With all the details turned up to Max, the game looks pretty stunning, especially in some of the vast industrial areas. Trees in the countryside look awesome, and the textures really stand up to close scrutiny. The lighting effects are also incredible - muzzle flashes reflecting off objects just look insane...............................

................................... We found that a 7900 GTX card could quite happily run the game at 1680x1050 with everything cranked up to Max, and AA set at 4x, and ditto the X1950 XTX.....................................

.............................................. This is a good result, and it means that anyone with an 8800 GTX or GTS can run this at 2560x1600 with maximum details and and not worry at all about frame rate. This is a big difference from the code we saw back in our Stalker preview last month, where an 8800 GTX was required just to run at 1280x1024!

Sounds like someone has the preview code :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
eekfek said:
did someone actually say this effort of a game has better gfx than HL2 and farcry* .. lmao ... ignorance is bliss

It quite clearly does. If you don't agree then you have no concept of what makes good graphics other than "oooohh crisp and shiny"!

eekfek said:

Crank it up to maximum details and the highest rez your monitor support, turn up all the sliders and have a proper look. Wait...why do I even care? lol, whatever, your opinion, and I couldn't care less about it.

I'm off to play again :D

LoadsaMoney said:
Well thats another thread ruined by piracy talk *sigh*. :(

:( Gutted. As for Perf issue's, with the beta i found i gained around 100-150 FPS :eek: by putting static lighting on, it seem's the HDR optimization in this game is the worst thing about it.

Tom|Nbk said:
:( Gutted. As for Perf issue's, with the beta i found i gained around 100-150 FPS :eek: by putting static lighting on, it seem's the HDR optimization in this game is the worst thing about it.

see my post on the end of the last page, seems the final code will run fine with everything on. they don't mention static or dynamic lighting though.

regulus said:
Crank it up to maximum details and the highest rez your monitor support, turn up all the sliders and have a proper look. Wait...why do I even care? lol, whatever, your opinion, and I couldn't care less about it.

I'm off to play again :D

dude you need to take a proper look again.....i just played it once more....double checked the settings....everything on max....1680x1050....when you say it whips farcry you surely dnt mean graphics wise do you????.......have you seen the handgun you get at the begining???.....just press zoom key so you can get a closer look at the square non rounded piece of shiz you are holding in your hand....or just go up to a bush and check how pezzy they are......

lol, at the people that think it looks good graphically, its so dull, and i don't mean "oo its washed out" because its designed to be like that, but the characters, even the people that say other things look great say the characters look damn poor. have you seen the ut3 engine anyone, or cryengine2, or, well anything made in the last year. the animation just makes the enemies look worse. AI, while theres big metal pipes to crouch behind, or other things to duck behind, you get multiple instances where an AI that comes to find you just runs back and forward behind a bush. they don't really shoot through bushes at you, but you can hit them.

they often know exactly where you are even if you've run behind several objects so it would be impossible to know where you'd pop out. your friendly AI characters often, when fighting with them and you are sticking head out the end of a car or whatever, will run into you and push you right out into the open where you get oblitorated, with the classic "sliding" feel, afaik you can't push them back so you always get shoved out the way and not vice-versa.

i get 200fps ish now without dynamic lighting, i guess all the crashing and a reboot worked a little better. its a little less retarded damage wise than i thought because i was playing on "master" level, rather than "stalker", so megahard instead of average basically.

farcry i think looks better, all the grass, bushes and things in STALKER are just 2d, half of them look like crappy sprites, like the taller bits that stick up around trees, they simply look terrible, truly awful. a lot of stuff looks ok, but i don't think anything looks great at all. some very nice lighting stuff and thats the only thing that is using a lot of power.

Last edited:
drunkenmaster said:
lol, at the people that think it looks good graphically, its so dull, and i don't mean "oo its washed out" because its designed to be like that, but the characters, even the people that say other things look great say the characters look damn poor. have you seen the ut3 engine anyone, or cryengine2, or, well anything made in the last year. the animation just makes the enemies look worse. AI, while theres big metal pipes to crouch behind, or other things to duck behind, you get multiple instances where an AI that comes to find you just runs back and forward behind a bush. they don't really shoot through bushes at you, but you can hit them.

they often know exactly where you are even if you've run behind several objects so it would be impossible to know where you'd pop out. your friendly AI characters often, when fighting with them and you are sticking head out the end of a car or whatever, will run into you and push you right out into the open where you get oblitorated, with the classic "sliding" feel, afaik you can't push them back so you always get shoved out the way and not vice-versa.

i get 200fps ish now without dynamic lighting, i guess all the crashing and a reboot worked a little better. its a little less retarded damage wise than i thought because i was playing on "master" level, rather than "stalker", so megahard instead of average basically.

farcry i think looks better, all the grass, bushes and things in STALKER are just 2d, half of them look like crappy sprites, like the taller bits that stick up around trees, they simply look terrible, truly awful. a lot of stuff looks ok, but i don't think anything looks great at all. some very nice lighting stuff and thats the only thing that is using a lot of power.

What did you get with Dynamic Lighting on?, im sensing Dynamic lighting is the most unoptimized thing about this game am i right?

i keep saying, stop looking at the very very very top settings, with a decent core 2 duo and a 8800 card you will not be breaking 100fps with dynamic lighting on at 1680x1050, so what, as has always been the same with all game, backing off a couple sliders one place hardly effects the look but drastically improves performance. because you can get 90% of the quality easily, the last 10% needs a lot of power but theres little to show for it.

its only dynamic lighting killing performance. my 8800gtx goes from 60ish fps to 200fps without it. i forgot to check on it, i did kinda get into the game, its kinda fun though so far i've only come across two none "normal" enemies and all the others are fairly boring. if you drop full dynamic i would imagine most cards x800 onwards should be able to provide the "upper" levels of texture, shading quality without to much of a problem, i haven't checked performance of dynamic lighting on objects only (a middle option) but i don't know if either options for dynamic lighting seem stable in vista 64, maybe its that, or the nvidia vista drivers i really don't know.

i would point out maybe FEAR as an example, soft shadows absolutely killed performance and offered little to no benefit and didn't actually effect the texture quality or anything else. it was just an additional effect that you can live without, though in FEAR i always thought the "soft shadows" actually looked worse.

Back
Top Bottom