**The Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow Of Chernobyl Thread**

drunkenmaster said:
Macabre said:
lol, can you please please tell me exactly how running steam is ruining your gaming experience? to be fair i've never had issue with Steam or EA link which i bought BF2142 on recently(very bored weekend, needed a game quickly). actually, i'm not 100% sure i can open up BF2142 without EA link opening, as you get a different .exe file with the downloadable game to the dvd version. so infact, your point is utterly invalid as some games do require EA link to make the game work. either way, so what. seriously, so what? do you have other programs open when you play a game, i leave WMP open, windows explorer, firefox, IE, grabit, fraps sometimes, anti virus, does another program affect me in any way at all, NO.

Steam caused nothing but problems for me, and Valves answer was remove the router, yet I tried that already and im not buying a new one as it works fine with everything else.

Posted on their forums and they locked my thread for no reason it had 4 or 5 pages of some people trying to help me but then they locked it, I pm'd one of Valve's employees but as I expected no reply.

Also I do refuse to buy Valve games now, they are a disgrace of a company and I'd buy EA over Valve any day.

Macabre said:
drunkenmaster said:
Steam caused nothing but problems for me, and Valves answer was remove the router, yet I tried that already and im not buying a new one as it works fine with everything else.

Posted on their forums and they locked my thread for no reason it had 4 or 5 pages of some people trying to help me but then they locked it, I pm'd one of Valve's employees but as I expected no reply.

Also I do refuse to buy Valve games now, they are a disgrace of a company and I'd buy EA over Valve any day.
blah blah blah :rolleyes:

I've never had a problem with steam and most of them are the users fault.

Last edited:
I've cancelled my order. I ordered it over 2 years ago, bought all my kit for this game not long later. And now there are reports of **** performance. CBA.

May pick it up some day though.

Not only that, this was the only game I was really interested in at the the time being on the PC. I've well and truly had it with PC games, and tbh I'm getting sick of the consoles aswell. They just aren't fun enough for me anymore. :(

im a bit worried i would like to play it a max settings at a res of 1280x1024.
Heres my spec
xp home
e6600
2gb ddr2 ram
x1900xtx

could i play it a max then with a really nice framerate?

Ulfhedjinn said:
Depends on what you mean by nice framerate. 30-50fps maxed on 8800GTS.

Things have to be cut down to get it running at above 60.
30-50 is plenty for most people. Yes, there may be a few high speed parts where you may notice, but overall I'd consider that a good framerate.

Can't wait much more for this, I think the graphics are rather good too. Although I have been playing Half-Life and a Dreamcast for the past few weeks.

monkeypants said:
30-50 is plenty for most people. Yes, there may be a few high speed parts where you may notice, but overall I'd consider that a good framerate.
I understand that a framerate of 30-40 is plenty for most people but considering how awful the game looks it's not enough for me. :) I would expect triple digits on G80 how dated it looks and how these incredible textures and lighting aren't anywhere to be found.

Good game so far but I can only play 1024x768 no aa all high with decent fps with my 7800 gt. Maybe I should wait when I get the R600 in May and play then. I have one problem: the game isn't using all the speakers(5.1). I have EAX on. Doesn't the game support 5.1 or what's the problem?

Ulfhedjinn said:
I understand that a framerate of 30-40 is plenty for most people but considering how awful the game looks it's not enough for me. :) I would expect triple digits on G80 how dated it looks and how these incredible textures and lighting aren't anywhere to be found.
Got any screenshots? I've seen a few, but whenever I look for them I always get dazzled and start looking at Crysis. :o

I find turning of dynamic lighting boosts my fps from 30-40 to 80-140. As for 5.1 i dont think its there either. Shame as it would do a world of good for the atmosphere, which is already very good. Doesnt seem to like vista at all.

keogh said:
I'm with you there, although IGN and GameSpot dont give it a great score, their actual review makes it sound really good. So i'm looking forward!

I think 80% and above is very good. 85+ is certainly great. There are not that many games that get that sort of score these days.
I have noticed that reviews tend to be a lot more harsh now than they were 4-5 years ago.

Ulfhedjinn, even the texture is the MP Beta were mostly very good. Someone on here posted a pic of a sniper rifle zoomed in on the floor, the textures still looked crisp and held up perfectly. No, it is not a Crysis or UT3, but no one is saying that. It is still better looking than HL2 and FarCry though, and that is coming from someone who regards HL2 as the best game they have ever played.
Gun models and player models are not as good as either, but the rest of it is much better. Better textures, better lighting and better details.

Back
Top Bottom