**The Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow Of Chernobyl Thread**

I was refering specifically to the x9150 at 24-40 fps.

Im running at medium settings 1280@1024 no dynamic lighting, no aa, and a tiny amount of anisotrophic filtering. I get 60-140 fps most of the time.

What happened to the days when games were about gameplay?

Everyone is raving on about the graphics but is it actually fun?

If it's anything like Deus Ex or System Shock 2 (as Gamespot have stated) then it will be a classic, regardless of how the grass looks.

I guess some people will never be happy and like to pick at things regardless.

an email i got today said:
I am delighted to let you know that your Preorder for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl Collectors Edition is now being processed. The order will be despatched by your chosen delivery method in time to reach you for the morning of release.
Finally, the email i've been waiting for since a few years back lol :D

Reefa said:
What happened to the days when games were about gameplay?

Everyone is raving on about the graphics but is it actually fun?

If it's anything like Deus Ex or System Shock 2 (as Gamespot have stated) then it will be a classic, regardless of how the grass looks.

I guess some people will never be happy and like to pick at things regardless.
Obviously missed all the posts about performance issues, bugs, glitches and AI problems then.

I would read the thread again.

This is the first game in quite a while ive actually felt like i actually want to play. In my opinion as a keen fps player, the gameplay is ok. Shooting is more in the realms of call of duty than say quake 3. The damage model is not designed with realism in mind, more of an rpg damage model, although headshots etc do count. On the harder modes i think that the enemies just take too much damage, in my mind why would u want to stand there and pile clip after clip into an enemy, for that reason i play the game on a lower difficulty than i normally would.

The game itself is in the style of oblivion with various characthers offering quests both main and side for the player to complete. You build reputations with diff factions etc.

One thing that really stands out in my mind is the atmosphere of the game, you really feel like you are in a dangerous post apoc env with the various anomlies and packs of mutant dogs etc, the day night cycle and the weather effects are also excellent. You also get leaves and dust blowing about in the wind which is a nice touch. This almost makes the game for me, with some decent headphones on you can rlly get immersed in the games atmosphere. If u go into this game expecting to be an elite rambo then i think you will be dissapointed, at least in the games earlier stages.

As for the performance issues i cant stress enough how much of a difference dynamic lighting makes to performance. With it turned off i think you could get stalker running on quite a low spec machine.

Artemic said:
tell me about it

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - Limited Edition Tin (Stalker) (PC Games)

PRICE £17.99

ORDER DATE 17/03/2004

3 years on and its NEARLY here. :)

got my order upgraded to the LTD ed one for free though. I guess because its been on order fo so long :confused:
Same here, but a day after you :p

PRICE £17.99

ORDER DATE 18/03/2004

I've had mine on preorder since about then as well.. Was a good job I checked today though, as the card I used to order it has since expired! Had to enter my new card details. Was lucky I checked today instead of next week when I was wondering why my copy hadn't arrived! :)

steve258 said:
Custom PC previewed the game in this month's issue and even the X1950XT can only manage playable framrates (24fps min with 40fps average) at 1024*768 with no aa. They didn't talk about the video settings used so I just assume they are running all settings maxed out.

8800GTX on the other hand can manage all the way upto 2560*1600 low AA with average 34fps and 26fps minimum, apparantly...

Custom PC and its staff are a bunch of donkeys, the frame rates they get on tests, both hardware and software seems miles out most of the time.

The whole magazine reeks of amateurism.

Shiny but crap.

subxero said:
Same here, but a day after you :p

PRICE £17.99

ORDER DATE 18/03/2004
Got my tin for 15.99 :D

Title: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl - Limited Edition Tin (Stalker)
Price: GBP 15.99
Delivery Cost: FREE

Order date 04/04/2004 :eek:

Thundy.

Just advanced into the garbage, its a shame I had to fight my way in, i was looking for other ways but meh, if you cant go around em go...err... shoot em.

Anyway, ive got a few missions to do around here now but everywhere I go theres loads of bandits shooting at me and not many neutrals.

I was getting chased by about 5 of them so I legged it down the road and happend on the Duty checkpoint. Put my guna way and let them do the work :) Those guys are good, wouldnt mind joining them if they didnt stop other stalkers from getting around.

Just give it a chance when you get it, everyone says the start is the hardest part.

oh yeah, anyone whos deeper into the game then me, is it always this action packed? (gangs of bandits everywhere etc. etc.)

Firegod said:
So what's the general verdict of this game? Is it "fun" enough to keep peoples attention?

It's ok. I'm over the initial excitement (i waited 4 years after all), and I'm slowly losing interest. I even played WoW just now :eek:

regulus said:
It's ok. I'm over the initial excitement (i waited 4 years after all), and I'm slowly losing interest. I even played WoW just now :eek:
I played City Of Villains tonight instead of *S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :eek:

Must be some sort of sign.

Edit: *Of course I mean my friend's copy of it on his computer. ;)

Maybe I'm just thick, but the UI, PDA and map icons still confuse me. It's not very intuitive. Sometimes when I accept a quest, it's says "Quest failed" within minutes. Wtf? I take it all the quests are on timers?

Grammar. I know I'm lazy with grammar and spelling, but some of the text speech in Stalker just take the ****. It's THAT bad. Was clearly written by non English natives.

Other than that, not all bad. Definetly not genre defining.

Bring on Stalker 2 now!

Back
Top Bottom