**The Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow Of Chernobyl Thread**

Kamakazie! said:
I think 80% and above is very good. 85+ is certainly great. There are not that many games that get that sort of score these days.
I have noticed that reviews tend to be a lot more harsh now than they were 4-5 years ago.

Ulfhedjinn, even the texture is the MP Beta were mostly very good. Someone on here posted a pic of a sniper rifle zoomed in on the floor, the textures still looked crisp and held up perfectly. No, it is not a Crysis or UT3, but no one is saying that. It is still better looking than HL2 and FarCry though, and that is coming from someone who regards HL2 as the best game they have ever played.
Gun models and player models are not as good as either, but the rest of it is much better. Better textures, better lighting and better details.

if the game is popular, im sure the community will make better textures, gun models etc avaliable to download. Lets hope so anyway ;)

Apparently there's a DVD-sized package waiting for me at home, I think it's STALKER. I've waited for this game for years. I loved Far Cry, which is basically a FPS with nice graphics, absolutely no plot and "shooting people" as the only gameplay element. I know I'm going to love Stalker. Simple as that. Couldn't care about frame rate, as long as the 1) gameplay is fun 2) it's smooth. As far as I can tell my monitor only has a refresh rate of 60Hz anyway so anything above that is lost on me.

Steam never caused me any problems. It's a way of getting games without having to get off your arse, and it gets patches and updates automatically. Simple as that. The fact that it's been hacked/bypassed doesn't concern me in the slightest- that's Valve's problem. I pay for my games, so couldn't really care less. The system works. If Steam turns you off, buy the games off the shelf- as far as I am aware most big Steam games are available boxed.

Custom PC previewed the game in this month's issue and even the X1950XT can only manage playable framrates (24fps min with 40fps average) at 1024*768 with no aa. They didn't talk about the video settings used so I just assume they are running all settings maxed out.

8800GTX on the other hand can manage all the way upto 2560*1600 low AA with average 34fps and 26fps minimum, apparantly...

Neil79 said:
I am now a vet , with a sniper scope rifle... Did the arena too , wow i want those weapons now :D

Can I ask - I am on the mision which tells me to save mole. When I try however he just runs into shed loads of mega hard troops and dies :confused: It says on the PDA that he is a main target as I have to get info from him.

I'm so rubbish at this flipping game it's not even funny. I have it on the level above beginner and it's pretty hard and I don't even have any half decent artifacts or radiation clothes

TheDean said:
Can I ask - I am on the mision which tells me to save mole. When I try however he just runs into shed loads of mega hard troops and dies :confused: It says on the PDA that he is a main target as I have to get info from him.

Yeh i was none to keen with that one either , sometimes he doesn't even respond to being shot at!.. Best thing to do is before you talk to him make sure there arn't any enemies near his position and quickly talk to him to finish the quest.

Neil79 said:
Yeh i was none to keen with that one either , sometimes he doesn't even respond to being shot at!.. Best thing to do is before you talk to him make sure there arn't any enemies near his position and quickly talk to him to finish the quest.

Its mad though as I just saved the game then totally peg it up to Mole but he won't let me talk to him. He just keeps saying 'Stalkers...help me....' and runs into a mass ambush - Idiot

Happy with the reviews, ordered it yesters after tracking it for years! Cant wait till the release just hope it comes on time.

I havn't played a FPS for a while so it should be good :)

steve258 said:
Custom PC previewed the game in this month's issue and even the X1950XT can only manage playable framrates (24fps min with 40fps average) at 1024*768 with no aa. They didn't talk about the video settings used so I just assume they are running all settings maxed out.

8800GTX on the other hand can manage all the way upto 2560*1600 low AA with average 34fps and 26fps minimum, apparantly...

This is with full dynamic lighting. With dynamic lighting disabled my 6800GT can pull 60-140 fps constantly. And imo is still looks very good.

saffyre said:
This is with full dynamic lighting. With dynamic lighting disabled my 6800GT can pull 60-140 fps constantly. And imo is still looks very good.
Same frames as an 8800GTS if that's max detail, this game is obviously coded extremely poorly.

saffyre said:
thats excellent fps compared to some ppl getting lower than that with there 8800gt/gtxs :eek: :confused:

I've got a nasty feeling about this game.

Mainly based on (1) that the pictures / clips I've seen make it look a bit noddy and (2) there's something that doesn't ring true about the review scores.

I think that it is highly likely that the scores presented by IGN, Gamespot etc will over state the quality of the game. These guys have been bigging-up this game for years to keep the punters looking at their websites. They can hardly turn around now and say its a bunch of arse. My suspicion is that IGNGamespot's scores need to be discounted by about 1 point.

I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Gregster6 said:
I've got a nasty feeling about this game.

Mainly based on (1) that the pictures / clips I've seen make it look a bit noddy and (2) there's something that doesn't ring true about the review scores.
mag reviews are notorious for giving bloated scores in return for the EXCLUSIVE review etc, take them with a pinch of salt...
the only true way to judge a game is by trying yourself

probably since it wasnt this good looking before, and its been badly optimised for current gen hardware, perhaps they had to bolt stuff on to make it look better to make it fall in line with currently available offerings graphic wise

Back
Top Bottom