**The Official S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow Of Chernobyl Thread**

I think i prefer it with static lighting & AA. It also runs smoother. Only 8800's can have both HDR & AA, am i right?

Im running the game at 1280 x 1024 by the way.

Just been to the Bar too, loving it so far and surprised how well its running. 1680x1050 with Dynamic lighting but with shadows off, seems smooth enough to me.

Fx 53 with 1gb and a 1900xt.

I'm having a wierd problem with Stalker. I've managed to get it running reasonably smoothly considering my rig (3200+, 6800GT, 1GB RAM) by tweaking and OCing in a balls to stability kinda way, but whats annoying me is when I look around in game I hear a faint crackling sound. It doesn't happen when stationary and I don't move the mouse but as soon as I look somewhere I get the crackling. I've tried turning off EAX and turning sound hardware acceleration right down but its still there. I am using headphones so I tried it with my monitors speakers but they're so damn quiet you can't tell if its doing it - they're rubbish for gaming.

This problem of the sound in stalker not working in 5.1 or 7.1 etc is quite common (after looking at several forums). I tried the "fix" at the weekend but it creates its own problems, for example my speakers would not work in the right order and sometimes the rear left not at all, after reapplying the original openal32.dll that I had saved back into the stalker file and removing the other I had replaced it with the speakers went back to working correctly- even tried a few games to check (bf2, quake 4, Theif DS) the problem still exists in stalker (ie the 5.1/7.1 not working correctly as the sound only seems to come from the front speakers) as it was before the weird thing is that the rear speakers work but the volume is really low and no matter what I try you cannot increase it. I'm hoping they fix it in the first patch.

One final thing, apart from the above problem this is the best game i've played in ages-well worth the wait. :)

just been reading that VALUE5 site, and tehre saying the patch will be out in the next couple of days as there is a patch out already for it, but its for the russian version only, and it includes MUCH optimized usage of the cpu and videocard, but there is a huge drawback, your going to have to start the game again as your saves will not work. :(

Dr Jones said:
Them "bloodsuckers" scared the nuts out of me!

lol,scared the crud out of me, really awsome.

As for radiation, you get other artifacts that help negate its effects, you get some really neat artifacts but some of the best are the really ealy ones, Meat Chunk is awsome and the ones that let you run further are also nice for those long runs to and from zones. You get some really cool one off modified weapons as well, i just found a pistol ( looks a lot like a de) thats modified to take rifle bullets.

Dr Jones said:

Yeah according to this thread here , he says you have to start again as your saves will not work, im glad im not that far in, ive only done the flashdrive mission, killed the representative, adn gone on a mission killing ll them soldiers under the bridge, but ive got machinee's and everything now, and quite a bit of cash.

Smurfy said:
the ones that let you run further are also nice for those long runs to and from zones.

Those are brilliant, just found 2 of them and I am wearing them to run around the place - now to find me a shotgun to make use of my new found speed/endurance :)

LoadsaMoney said:
Yeah according to this thread here , he says you have to start again as your saves will not work, im glad im not that far in, ive only done the flashdrive mission, killed the representative, adn gone on a mission killing ll them soldiers under the bridge, but ive got machinee's and everything now, and quite a bit of cash.

That's just not fair... I've gone quite into it with a lot of money and nice artifacts and weapons and... ahh!

Just SOD's law isn't it.

arrond said:
I think i prefer it with static lighting & AA. It also runs smoother. Only 8800's can have both HDR & AA, am i right?

Im running the game at 1280 x 1024 by the way.
Any card can do HDR+AA in this game because the AA is not real AA.

i think i missed something, i helped mole out, and followed him to the underground hatch - soon as I go down radiation and lots of men kill me - do i need a suit? :)

PinkFloyd said:
I can live with starting again. Think I need to play through again anyway as I have missed something.
No idea how to get to this X18 place :/
it's also known as Agroprom Research Institute.. but if it's not in your pda, head back to the start trader and check that you accepted the special mission. could be you accidently clicked the wrong reply :confused:

Been playing this for a couple of days now, I've just started the first underground bit on the way to the research place.

I really, really, want to like this game, I've been looking forward to it for ages, but TBH I am struggling to enjoy it, big time.

I won't mention any of the techy stuff about the game because I don't know much about that and my PC isn't amazing - so from a purely gameplay perspective, its been disappointing.

The first thing I noticed was how I was jsut chucked into the game with little or no clue as to what was what. The tutorial was pretty useless and didnt explain a lot of things, as was the manual. What are the purple icons with the 3 little triangles on the map for? What does the number underneath the minimap represent? Where can I find artifacts, do I have to do something to the anomaly? What are bolts, where can I use them and what do they do? Will I need to eat or sleep? Why do things keep appearing on my map randomly? Why does my PDA say it has new info when it doesn't? WHats the point of the ranking system? I can understand encountering things that are unexpected for the sake of gameplay, but not explaining how parts of the game work is just plain annoying.

The side quests seem to be pretty menial and usually involve a lot of running. Some quests just say things like 'find a psychdog tail' or 'find a jellyfish anomaly' with no clue whatsoever as to where to go or what to do to complete this. The reward is usually money, which I have yet to find a reasonable use for as no-one seems to have anything worth trading. TBH I have given up doing the sidequests as they are just not much fun and the rewards are worthless.

Combat is frustrating. All the weapons I have used so far are INCREDIBLY inaccurate at range, but enemies seem to have the dreaded long-distance eagle eye shooting skills. Having to shoot a baddie 5 or 6 times with a submachine gun in order to kill them isnt much fun either, especially in the sections where I had to kill literally about 30 bandits to get to the checkpoint. That was just plain tedious. Often I resorted to equipping the shotgun, sprinting towards an enemy and blasting them at short range, then eating food to regenerate the health they had just blasted off me. Enemies seem to spot me crouching in a bush from 300 metres away too, so stealth hasn't really been an option so far.

Its buggy too, why is there a quicksave button (F5 I think), but no quickload? Even trying to load quicksaves or autosaves manually from the menu doesn't work, it says 'cannot find file' in the console. Guh? Lots of gliches with quests breaking and stuff too.

I can really see what the developers were trying to do in the game, but I think they may have been too ambitious. They have tried to combine a FPS shooter with a realism element a la operation flashpoint, with an rpg-style quest system. The problem is none of those things really work in there own right.

Sorry to be moany and I know lots of people will disagree with me, but it has been disappointing. I hope the game improves from where I am atm, because I really really do want to like it. :(

Back
Top Bottom