• Lavender Purple 128GB Dual Sim

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ocean Blue 512GB Dual Sim

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Midnight Black 512GB Dual Sim

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I had a play around with two note 9's in my local shops and I was really not impressed with the loudness from the speakers it seems to have really low volume....:(

I try changing the settings in the advance sound settings and found it made no or little difference.

Soldato
I'm not sure how it's an 'obvious choice'. I honestly think you're the only person I've seen asking for one. Can't be that obvious?

Would seem odd (well, just bad actually) if tidal wouldn't allow music to be stored on a memory card? If you can use over 128gb in apps alone, I'd be impressed...

Laughs - should we have another vote for all the 512 GB users who would have gone for 256 if the choice was there? Or even those from the 128GB as well - given this is an astonomiclly small sample vote to start with out of the 1000's or probably millions of Note users out there.....and given the high price of memory currently its fair to say the price would have been able to be reasonably cheaper having a 256 instead of the 512gb option. I think most would have happily spent ~£100 less if it was there (if not more).

You don't need to use over 128Gb on apps alone as I just mentioned......even despite the fact that Android as soon as you star the device uses 15Gb even before you personalise it and add anything else. Also prioritising those apps ( or more appropriately the storage for those apps) most frequently used given read / write access to cards is a lot slower than that from onboard storage

Soldato
My mistake. There's two of you ;) . Personally I would have preferred a 64Gb version at a lower price, given that is actually 'the obvious choice' . :p
Premium phone , highly unlikely to have the same memory as the ONLY galaxy S9 option (or certainly the only one widely available)

Soldato
I've been a bit quiet on this thread since Saturday. I ended up going to buy a Note 9 locally that afternoon. I got a good price for it so I could always sell on again if I didn't like it - and that's exactly what I've done.
I have the Pixel 2XL so I was looking to make the same jump as @AndyCr15 . I just wanted to offer a few of my thoughts as there are very few youtube comparison's between these two. Or just for good old fashioned debate!

1) It's heavy, certainly heavier than the 2XL. After a few minutes of Youtube videos in landscape I found my hand was sore. When I switched to the 2XL it was like night and day. That being said the 2XL certainly does not feel too light or 'toy like' IMO.
Secondly, when I hold it in landscape my pinky finger rests exactly on the Bixby button, triggering many an unwanted action. And while I'm on the topic, Bixby, just...no.

2) The screen in and of itself is top notch, there is no denying that. However, it is tall so those with smaller hands must bear that in mind. My only gripe is I really dislike the blueish vignette you get on the edges when viewing content with a white background. This was one of the things that put me off Samsung around the S6/S7 - give me a flat(ter) screen all day long.

3) I can't stand the OS/UI. Coming from 2 years of using a Pixel XL/2XL I love the vanilla Android/Google experience. I never liked that Samsung install duplicate apps that work alongside (IMO superior) Google apps. Yes most can be disabled but others, like Calendar, Gallery, Messages etc can't. Without a 3rd party app or rooting/adb config there is no way to get rid of the Samsung bloatware.
I just couldn't like the OS/UI experience. It's almost like the Google OS was 'shoehorned' in to a fantastic piece of hardware and that just ruins the experience for me. Right now it's hard to beat Google software designed for Google hardware - to coin a phrase 'it just works'.

4) I liked the ability to hide the Nav bar at the bottom - Google could take 'note' (;)) here. That aside, on most apps the larger screen doesn't actually garner more real estate, it just stretches certain elements, but it is nice to have the entire screen at your disposal.

5) S-pen is excellent - unfortunately just not much use to me personally. Having owned a couple of the Note tablets this is the best iteration I've used.

I really wanted to like the Note 9 but couldn't for the price. It felt like too many compromises just to have a nice big screen and slightly better speakers. I was also thinking I'd be kicking myself if I stuck with the Note and Google came out with a belter of a Pixel 3 (I'll not hold my breath though).

Sorry for the essay but I thought I'd get it all out in one go!

Last edited:
Soldato
Best to go instore & do the trade in.
I did it online & I'm still waiting for my additional £200. (got £350 for my note 8 rather than the £375 otriginally offered)

As for data, Three are offering a 100GB deal for £20pm with unlimited text/mins[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this, I've gone with that deal with three as its rather good! I've got the phone now but theres a few issues that I need to try and figure out. Namely, it keeps bloody crashing! I can't use an alarm on it as an app keeps crashing the phone which then causes it to restart but because I haven't signed in again, it doesn't do anything. So frustrating. Seems to do it the most when its not being used for a few hours otherwise it seems stable.

any ideas?!

Soldato
@GMac11 Can't argue with a lot of what you've said. Most of what you have isn't an issue for me is all. It's actually quite easy to remove bloat and maintain a stock feeling, if you find the right apps :) What will you do if you're unimpressed with the Pixel 3 XL? Stick with then 2 XL?

Thanks for this, I've gone with that deal with three as its rather good! I've got the phone now but theres a few issues that I need to try and figure out. Namely, it keeps bloody crashing! I can't use an alarm on it as an app keeps crashing the phone which then causes it to restart but because I haven't signed in again, it doesn't do anything. So frustrating. Seems to do it the most when its not being used for a few hours otherwise it seems stable.

That doesn't sound good. Have you tried a factory reset? Otherwise you might have an issue of some kind. As in, it might need to go back.

(You say 'an app keeps crashing', which one?)

Also, I got some Poetic cases today. Quite impressed really.

Soldato
@GMac11 Can't argue with a lot of what you've said. Most of what you have isn't an issue for me is all. It's actually quite easy to remove bloat and maintain a stock feeling, if you find the right apps :) What will you do if you're unimpressed with the Pixel 3 XL? Stick with then 2 XL?

I will likely stick with the 2XL yeah. I really enjoy it and it's hard to find any drawbacks to it really. I like the screen on mine, obviously next to the Note it doesn't square up but it's still very good.
I don't mind the lack of 3.5mm jack as I have a set of bluetooth over-ear noise cancelling headphones and a set of Airpods. The 128gb storage would be nice mind you but I'm still only using about 70% of my 64gb on the 2XL.

Last edited:
Associate
As for data, Three are offering a 100GB deal for £20pm with unlimited text/mins

any ideas?![/QUOTE]

Hi james

I see that you are using a three Sim in your note 9, can I ask are you able to use wi-fi calling and 4g calling on it via your 3 Sim. I know the phone is capable of both as I am currently using these features on ee, but would be tempted to switch to the 3 deal if I would still get LTE and WiFi calling on 3.

Thanks

Soldato
Guys, looking for some help. I have a Pixel 2 XL (which I'm going to give to my wife). She has a knackered S7 Edge. I'd like to trade the S7 in for a Note 9, whats the best deal around just now to do this?

Soldato
Guys, looking for some help. I have a Pixel 2 XL (which I'm going to give to my wife). She has a knackered S7 Edge. I'd like to trade the S7 in for a Note 9, whats the best deal around just now to do this?

do you want to buy sim free?

CPW still has the extra £200 ontop of trade in value on the Note 9: https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/s...html#!colour=black&capacity=128GB&dealType=pm

i would guess 3 wifi calling will work on the handset. it does a S7 with btu (uk) stock firmware

Back
Top Bottom