*** The Official Samsung Galaxy Note II Thread ***

Soldato
Interesting that the only two people to send the phone back in this thread both came from a One x. Is the difference in screen fidelity so large? (have only used a One x briefly myself).

Man of Honour
OP
Interesting that the only two people to send the phone back in this thread both came from a One x. Is the difference in screen fidelity so large? (have only used a One x briefly myself).

If the Note II screen is anything like the S3, then no, I doubt it's really the screen being an issue. The new SAMOLED panels are excellent.

Don
If the Note II screen is anything like the S3, then no, I doubt it's really the screen being an issue. The new SAMOLED panels are excellent.

It was certainly one of the reasons for me. It looked harsh, over saturated, less sharp and un-naturally coloured in comparison to the screen on the One X.

Soldato

I'm coming from an S2 and this feels just like a high resolution version of that. I loved the S2 screen and this is natural progression. The S3 althrough it looks better at first glance when i look at the screen for a while i see the downfall of Pen-Tail (Sp?) and much prefer the RGB of the Note II. So from now on i'm going to be looking for RGB screens

Caporegime
The note II sub pixel arrangement isn't a proper RGB layout though (iirc), is it not halfway between RGB and pentile, iirc Samsung have called it "s stripe" or something along those lines anyway.

Personally I can see the difference between the X and GS 3 when it comes to text/sharpness, but only when I really concentrate/look at the stuff close up, so to me it is a non-issue :p. I prefer the IPS screen for browsing, photos but I prefer SAMOLED for videos/games and generally throughout the UI, especially with a black layout.

Soldato
The note II sub pixel arrangement isn't a proper RGB layout though (iirc), is it not halfway between RGB and pentile, iirc Samsung have called it "s stripe" or something along those lines anyway.

It's definitely "RGB" in that there are three sub-pixels to each pixel. PenTile has (by definition) two.

The difference comes in the arrangement of sub-pixels. In most LCD screens (and also in the lower-res SAMOLED screen of the GS2) the arrangement is in the form of stripes (see below).

mlnjvk.png

16asmkp.jpg

...but this striped arrangement is not ideal for OLED technology:

For the Note2, the blue sub-pixel is larger than the red and green sub-pixels. This is to address one of the fundamental issues with OLED tech; that blue OLEDs degrade faster than red and green OLEDs. By making the blue sub-pixel larger, it can be run at a lower proportion of its maximum output, thereby extending its life to that of the other two sub-pixels. If all sub-pixels are the same size then, over time, the blue degrades faster, and the colour accuracy is reduced over time.

In short, you should get used to OLED screens having larger blue sub-pixels, and therefore not being arranged in a "stripe" formation as is standard with LCDs screens. But still, whatever the arrangement, three sub-pixels (R,G and B) per pixel is RGB - the same as an LCD screen.

As far as the real-world difference in the technology goes: At a fixed resolution you should see:

• RGB vs PenTile: Differences in text reproduction, and also in images (see picture below

• RGB "stripe" vs RGB "OLED": No difference in picture reproduction, but RGB stipe will offer better fidelity with fine vertically or horizontally aligned lines. In practice, this can mean a difference in reading very fine text - though the difference will be much smaller than in RBG vs PenTile.

The biggest difference in fidelity from the One-X to the Note2 will come from the higher pixel density, rather than any difference in sub-pixel arrangement.

23vdbnk.jpg

...PS sorry for this turning into a lecture on screen technology - sometimes I get carried away :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Great post Duff-man, ooo-yeah!!

The fact is, is that i compared the S3 and the Note 2 directly in the Samsung store and i swear i see almost the same as the last picture in your post. It's even worse with text. I didn't realise that to me at least, that the screen on the S3 is really not that good!

Caporegime
Lol! You're like drunken master in the graphics card sub-forum :D :p

Thanks for the explanation :)

Really do love the note II and would get one in a heartbeat (I still haven't had ago with one though! :eek: :p), but it is just too big for me :(

Soldato
How does everyone organize their music collections? I'd have though the most obvious solution would be by artist but it keeps dividing one album into loads of different ones if a song is featuring someone else. In effect it classes one artist as loads. Very annoying!

Anyone got an update on this for me? Am really wanting to put my full cd collection on it today but its pointless if the songs are going to be all over the place or random songs featuring another artist are going to be missing from the cd playlist? :(

With Itunes I could just edit the file name say "Bon Jovi ft whoever" to just "Bonjovi" and the song would jump back into the album playlist.

Associate
Thoroughly enjoying the GN2. The speaker sound is really good, the screen is amazing. Spen is a nice feature, need to get into some more. The device itself is blazing fast thanks to the exynos cpu and 2GB RAM. It's the total package for me.

Associate
Lol! You're like drunken master in the graphics card sub-forum :D :p

Thanks for the explanation :)

Really do love the note II and would get one in a heartbeat (I still haven't had ago with one though! :eek: :p), but it is just too big for me :(

Where in the world are you based you can come and play with mine :D

Back
Top Bottom