****The Official Samsung Galaxy S II Thread***

Suspended
Evening all.

I've just got my SGSII today on Orange. I've never had a smart phone before, what are things I should do? Any must have apps? I've never rooted a smart phone (whatever that means), so please keep it simple for now :)

A few questions:

1. Is there something I need to install on my PC, such as a management app to control things on the phone and copying movies over?

2. How do I get movie files on the phone and what format do the files need to be in?

3. How do I change the 'theme' on the desktop for want of a better explanation?

Thanks.

Right, I have sorted .1 and .2 out by myself.

Some help with .3 please?

Soldato
For manual update if you're having problems with Kies

1) Firmware

Download the correct firmware for your phone. Extract the zip file to a tar file. Do not extract the tar file.

Sim Free Firmware - I9100XWKE1_I9100XXKDJ_I9100XEUKD1
O2UK Firmware - I9100XWKE1_I9100XXKDJ_I9100O2UKE1

2) Download Odin (flash utility)

Odin3-v1.85.zip

3) Prepare Odin

Launch Odin and check "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time"
Load the firmware downloaded in step 1 in PDA.

1z5ohp3.jpg

4)Download mode.
Put the phone in to Download mode ready for flashing
- Power Off
- Press and hold Vol Down + Home + Power.
- Once the Andriod logo is displayed connect the phone to PC
- in Odin ID:COM will turn yellow. You are now ready to flash.

141jons.jpg

5) A Successful Flash

f3ypg4.jpg

6) Factory Reset (Optional)

There are three ways to reset the phone, through Dialer, Settings or Recovery mode.

- Dialer, enter *2767*3855#
- Settings, Privacy, Factory data reset.
- Recovery mode. Power off the phone, press and hold Vol Up + Home + Power. Use the Vol keys to navigate the menus and Home to action.

cheers for that mate, how important is optional step 6? dont really wanna factory reset, but is there any advantage:?

Soldato
Great..that firmware link is going to take over an Hour to download.

Have to say it..first trip on Droid and this isnt installing any great faith when a simple Firmware update is going **** up to even install it.

Soldato
Just had a play on one of these. I currently have an iPhone 4 (my only ever Apple purchase) and my mate sold his iPhone 4 for one of these, and he just came over and I had a look. JEEZ the screen on it is huge. :D I wish Apple would hurry up and give details on the iPhone 5 because if the screen isn't 4"+ I think it's time to buy something else. Have to say though, the samsung is very slim and light. I don't know whether it was the settings he had but the image quality didn't look as good as on the iPhone imo but I only used it for a few mins. It did confirm for me though that a 3.5" screen just doesn't cut it, my next phone will be a 4"+ screen for sure.

Soldato
Well tap dancing christ...I think on the 28th go it might have jsut gone and installed it....

CSC is still saying KE1..when somone posted it should be KD1...anyone know what this could mean?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well tap dancing christ...I think on the 28th go it might have jsut gone and installed it....

CSC is still saying KE1..when somone posted it should be KD1...anyone know what this could mean?

I kinda feel bad for you hehe, mine worked first time using Odin. Didn't use that link on previous page though as that was mega slow for me. Used one from xda instead.

Mine is KE1 also.

Associate
Flash Player 10.3 is out on the market, and is meant to have speed improvements for the ARM based CPU which the S2 uses.

Been tested it and things do seem faster, but it's hard to find any Flash stuff that ran poorly on the S2 in the first place...

Back
Top Bottom