*** The Official Samsung Galaxy S III ACCESSORIES Thread ***

Soldato
Has anyone ordered an MHL to HDMI Adapter Cable off of ebay at all? I just received one that was supposed to work with an S3 and doesn't, feedback from others since I ordered state the same. If someone can confirm one that does work that would be appreciated.

FYI this is the one I had ordered (ignore the price wtf!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221048332...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1809wt_1163

The S2 adaptor doesn't work (as you've found out). You need the specific S3 only adaptor.

Soldato
@ mrk - AAAAAAHH YEEAAAAAH! :). Finally.

717b736b.jpg
18d03ef2.jpg

Soldato
Doing a H2testw on it now - 8.41MB/s WRITE & 18.6 READ average - not great but it will do. 64GB FTW!

EDIT: Seems like the official dock is getting rave reviews:

Samsung Universal Style Micro USB Desk Dock for Galaxy S3

samsung-universal-micro-usb-desktop-dock-samsung-galaxy-s3-black-d1.jpg

This review is from: Samsung Universal Style Micro USB Desk Dock for Galaxy S3 - Chrome Blue (Accessory)
The phone is held by a flap of plastic but it does tend to wobble about everywhere. It is certainly not secure in any way. It does not sync data. It is a completely different colour from the phone so looks odd. Really not happy with this product....

This review is from: Samsung Universal Style Micro USB Desk Dock for Galaxy S3 - Chrome Blue (Accessory)
This dock is terrible. The phone is barely supported in the dock and mostly relies on the microusb plug to keep it in place, giving it a very flimsy feel, and could possibly damage the usb port on the phone if knocked. The USB connection also doesnt connect to a computer for file transfers.

In general avoid at all costs, a very bad offering by Samsung. It doesn't even look that good.

The S3 doesn't even fit properly, it precariously balances on the mini usb and fell off as I hit my knee on the desk leg. For 2/3 the price you can get a (secure) charging dock that also charges the spare battery which this does not

Feels well made but is very badly designed. The front and rear 'flaps' don't hold the phone at all, it just sits on the mini USB

Being returned.

Last edited:
Associate
The Ultimate Fakes!

So I went the cheap root and bought a bunch of fakes off ebay :D

First the case:

eBay Link

It's the same cheap ebay case mrk has already shown in comparison to the genuine Rock case. The material feels a little like rough cardboard paper with some felt. Not exactly premium but does give the phone a lot more grip which was my main goal.

It's quite thin and definitely doesn't add too much bulk to the phone. However, it is still a noticeable bulk when in your hands.

Now the eagle eye among you may have noticed my modification to the case.

Sorry I don't have a before and after shot as I was just annoyed about how deep the side buttons felt making it difficult to glide my fingers along them. I used nail clippers and a file and this really does improve the case a lot more for me. There's still a little sharpness but I'm just too lazy to do more filing/sanding. Plus it really doesn't bother me since I can access the buttons with ease.

The case main advantage for me is the lip is about 1-2mm raised above the screen so if the phone falls screen first it should, in theory, protect it a lot better. Oh, and also the fact that it covers most of the rim of the blue S3 is great as it hides the ugly paleness!

I bought the case with a thumb stylus so the total cost came to £3.89. I now see that the case is even cheaper!

The thumb stylus is in my kitchen so I don't have to touch the screen with wet/dirty hands for music/podcast/radio etc.

Is it worth it? Well, I'm waiting for a high quality replacement battery cover to come out in the market. This case will do the job for a few months I reckon. I love the fact that it has no branding on it and after a cowardly drop test (back only and about 3.5 feet height onto laminate flooring) it also did its job of protecting my phone. Oh yes, it also did fall chair height (2.5ft) onto stone flooring at Nandos a couple of days ago and again did its job (phew!)

If you're in the market for a cheap case that looks alright, feels alright and protects your phone alright then you're looking in the right area. Just don't expect premium quality. Definitely will do the job for a few months.

Great cheap hard case that I find does the job better than cheap gel ones. All for under a fiver (under 2 quid now!) Heck, I'm tempted to buy a different colour and another black one at the moment.

Now the dock:

eBay Link

A no branding, no frills black dock charger for under a tenner? Sure, why not for £8.49? This dock is now sitting at my desk at work.

It comes with a rubber mold for your phone without a case and actually looks decent.

Honestly can't really fault anything about this other than the charger cable doesn't fit as snugly into the back of the dock as I would have liked it to. If you move the dock, just be aware that the cable may come a little loose depending on the force used.

Does what it says on the tin.

Without case:

With case:

With the cable:

I have to say that it does look pretty nice with the Samsung charger cable because they are the same glossy black plastic. Sadly I'm using a longer cheap cable at work.

Good buy? Most definitely. I still don't like how slow the S3 charges via USB (mains is fine) and this dock is plugged into my PC at work so it takes several hours for full charge. Obviously if I plugged it into the mains, it will be much quicker.

It does look good having a no branding black dock on your desk though. Especially compared the ugly silver give away iPhone docks that my boss has from a supplier company. No branding = win for me.

The screen protector:

Rainforest Link - erm, please remove if necessary (but I'm not sure with this thread really)

Sadly all the pictures I've taken to show the screen protector on just came out useless. You really need to see it with your own eyes so I will do my best to describe.

I've had a Zagg on my Milestone for many years now and the Zagg worked great. I had no problems with it and it cost me something like 12 quid. I looked around for a S3 Zagg but saw that people didn't like it very much. Kolay was recommended as a decent cheap protector and you get 10 of them (I've used up 3 before I succeeded with the 4th).

Funnily, when I was slow, I did a very poor job of applying. My successful attempt was really me practically slapping it on.

So far I'm not really that impressed. The protector doesn't cover the entire front of the phone but I knew that. It covers much more than those rectangle ones that just covers the screen.

However, I was expecting it to be a bit more wider and extend to cover up to the side bezels. Because it doesn't and the protector is a little thick the lips of the side can catch on your thumb. I can see that over time the side lips (especially the left hand side) will just peel.

The protector edges are entirely noticeable from arms length and the top and bottom cut outs leave little in the way of give. The capacitive buttons barely got into the cover for me

I had to pay £3.75 (including del.) in total and to be frank, I probably should have looked around a bit more. Sadly, most of the proctors seem to follow the same thing.

I would love to see a complete screen cover, edge to edge to the curve to come out.

And as for the protection element? Seems to work as expected. But I haven't done any proper testing. This is really more of a stop gap.

EDIT: Oh yes, and I have my 64gb card installed in the phone since I got it now. Highly recommended. Best investment by far!

Last edited:
Soldato
So I went the cheap root and bought a bunch of fakes off ebay :D

The thumb stylus is in my kitchen so I don't have to touch the screen with wet/dirty hands for music/podcast/radio etc.

Good review of some budget options, thanks for putting the effort in.

TOP TIP Great idea re the thumb stylus, massive thumbs up!!:cool:

Caporegime
Soldato
Hmm, I bought some of those Kolay protectors (not here yet) as, according to the picture, it would over the entire front of the phone with holes for all the sensors but the one you have pictured looks like the ones I have on it now!!!

I won't be happy if that is the case :(

Associate
Good review of some budget options, thanks for putting the effort in.

TOP TIP Great idea re the thumb stylus, massive thumbs up!!:cool:

Glad it can be of use :D Would like to do 'premium' reviews as well but I'm not a huge accessory buyer.

I bought these screen protectors http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150817739...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1385wt_1199

I recommend them to everyone, clear and smooth, and you get enough so that you can replace every month or two for a fresh one.

Interesting... the demo pics makes it look like the entire front of the phone is covered. Might have to thank you later but would you mind telling me:

Does it extend edge to edge? What are the cut outs like for button, speaker grill etc? And how easy was application for you?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
This official Samsung car mount works on multiple phones, not just the S3 unlike the S2 car mount I had which only worked on the S2 and only when not using a case which was a double whammy of a negative for that mount.

Have Samsung learnt the error of their ways and improved this new mount? Let's find out...

This kit comes in 3 parts, the S2 mount comes in 2:
samsung-veh-mount_1.jpg

The ball joint clips into this socket while the screw tightens the fit:
samsung-veh-mount_2.jpg

Unfortunately Samsung didn't leave room for arm adjustment so the number of ways to point the mount is very limited again, just like the S2 mount, you need to have it quite high up on the windscreen to get decent movement of the head:
samsung-veh-mount_3.jpg

samsung-veh-mount_4.jpg

Ultimately it still suffers one of the main flaws I found on the S2 dock, lack of adjustment and being aimed at windscreen mounting only as opposed to dashboard discs (see pic below). It's less advanced than the S2 mount because it doesn't have a socket the phone sits into to activate car mode, but if it did it wouldn't work on other phones whereas this one will work on almost any phone that's of compatible width as both side arms retract in and out.

So it's just a car mount that's tough and sturdy in motion, it doesn't vibrate and the suction is very strong but for what it costs I'd much rather recommend the Nokia CR-115 with a bit of DIY to the stock arm padding (remove them and replace with thinner pads) to work on phones as wide as an S3 because you get better movement and a slimmer profile for easier storage. It also costs less than £10 depending on where you shop. I also think it's by far the nicest looking mounts out there and because it's a genuine brand made one, it's good quality too.

Nokia CR-115:
samsung-veh-mount_comp-nokiacr115.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Thanks! I only wish the wireless charging base would hurry up!

i so want the rock case for s2 :|

Rock case FTW! What's stopping you getting one?

Edit*

Oh , S2 :(

Edit2:

The modding has started early :p I was looking at the ball joint and then at the ball joint on the Exomount car holder and realised they looked the same size....

samsung-veh-mount_mod_1.jpg

samsung-veh-mount_mod_2.jpg

So yeah, now I have a car "dash" mount that is sturdy and of excellent build and sticks to almost anything :p Well I say I but I will give this to my old man as the Exomount head is rather flimsy when it comes to sturdyness. I'll continue to use the Nokia mount.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom