**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Associate
Well I've gone for a AloMit wet application plastic screen. It was easy to install and the end result is pretty good really, obviously not a nice feeling as the glass but at least the scanner works. I'll see how it lasts and maybe wait for a cheaper, sensor compatible glass one.

Does the scanner not work with the Dome Glass? I read somewhere that it did. Downside of the plastic ones is they never 'feel' as good as glass. My finger prints wear due to manual job so for me the finger print scanner never works reliably so don't use it. I don't have an S10 either but did think about it when I had issues with the camera on my S9+.

Soldato
I decided to make the switch from the iphone 8 plus. My experience hasn't been great so far.

The battery life seems terrible. 4 hours of SOT from 100% - 8% battery. I would get double on my 8 plus. I have my brightness set to about 30% (lower than default). I had it on the optimised power plan until lunch then swapped to medium power saving. I used my phone as much as I did my old phone. No games, no videos just whatsapp and a maybe 15 mins of reddit. I would normally go to bed with about 60% battery on my 8 plus. The reason battery is so important to me is that I use it as my blood sugar tester (diabetic) and if I'm not able to get to a charger I could be in trouble.

The finger print scanner is pretty terrible compared to the 8 plus (although I understand it's new technology).

When connecting to the bluetooth in my car, it will connect for phone calls but not for music audio. I cannot turn it on (it toggles back off on its own) unless I turn bluetooth on and off.

I can deal with the bottom 2 issues but not the battery life. Three are going to send me a replacement but is this normal for an s10?

I'll have a week with the replacement before I can cancel my contract. Other than the issues above I really like the phone but I'll have to cancel my contract if the replacement doesn't resolve the above issues. :(

Soldato
I decided to make the switch from the iphone 8 plus. My experience hasn't been great so far.

The battery life seems terrible. 4 hours of SOT from 100% - 8% battery. I would get double on my 8 plus. I have my brightness set to about 30% (lower than default). I had it on the optimised power plan until lunch then swapped to medium power saving. I used my phone as much as I did my old phone. No games, no videos just whatsapp and a maybe 15 mins of reddit. I would normally go to bed with about 60% battery on my 8 plus. The reason battery is so important to me is that I use it as my blood sugar tester (diabetic) and if I'm not able to get to a charger I could be in trouble.

The finger print scanner is pretty terrible compared to the 8 plus (although I understand it's new technology).

When connecting to the bluetooth in my car, it will connect for phone calls but not for music audio. I cannot turn it on (it toggles back off on its own) unless I turn bluetooth on and off.

I can deal with the bottom 2 issues but not the battery life. Three are going to send me a replacement but is this normal for an s10?

I'll have a week with the replacement before I can cancel my contract. Other than the issues above I really like the phone but I'll have to cancel my contract if the replacement doesn't resolve the above issues. :(

Have you had it long? Adnroid does tend to chew the battery for a while when new.. dunno if it's indexing or something..

Then are you keeping an eye on what's using the battery? Don't wish to patronise but having come from iOS not sure if you know where the right menus to check are?

On the car.. that sounds more like a compatibility thing perhaps? In that I guess it's easier to plan for iOS compatibility so sometimes some less supported kits get weird with android.. although I thought that stopped a while ago, is it a recent setup?

Soldato
Have you had it long? Adnroid does tend to chew the battery for a while when new.. dunno if it's indexing or something..

Then are you keeping an eye on what's using the battery? Don't wish to patronise but having come from iOS not sure if you know where the right menus to check are?

On the car.. that sounds more like a compatibility thing perhaps? In that I guess it's easier to plan for iOS compatibility so sometimes some less supported kits get weird with android.. although I thought that stopped a while ago, is it a recent setup?

I've had it since Thursday.

According to the "battery usage" screen.

17h 14m on battery
Screen (4hrs 2 mins) - 20%
Android system - 17%
Device idle - 7%
Android OS - 7%
Always on Display - 6%
Spotify - 4%

Soldato
Right there you go, I'd say android system is very high there. For example my note 10 has been off charge for 6hrs and I'm down to 66%.. that 34% is:

7% screen (1hr 24)
4% youtube (used for audio in the gym)
4% android system
3% device idle

etc etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if that came down over time but it might be worth looking into things that drive that up, I'm not sure off the top of my head.

Is that today? Just seems that 4hrs of screen time is a heck of a lot by lunchtime too?

Soldato
Right there you go, I'd say android system is very high there. For example my note 10 has been off charge for 6hrs and I'm down to 66%.. that 34% is:

7% screen (1hr 24)
4% youtube (used for audio in the gym)
4% android system
3% device idle

etc etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if that came down over time but it might be worth looking into things that drive that up, I'm not sure off the top of my head.

Is that today? Just seems that 4hrs of screen time is a heck of a lot by lunchtime too?

Apologies, that was a full day yesterday. Today:

Medium power saver

81%

5h 44m
Android System 4%
Screen 42mins 4%
Always on Display 3%
Android OS 2%
Device idle 5h 4 4mins

What can I do about android system??

Soldato
My Android System is always second after SoT in battery usage and Device Idle with Android OS high too. I've just given up on trying to "fix" this phone, just going to be looking to be moving on from it a lot sooner than anticipated.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thing is this is just poor Android optimization in general, it's still far behind iOS in real world usage for the battery.

Which is made up for with bigger batteries.. we could debate the pros and cons of both forever but the point is as is born our in most reviews/conventional wisdom android and particularly samsung phones in general are pretty much on a par with iOS for batery. The fact that they need to do it with a battery twice as big is somewhat irrelevant to this conversation because these folks are saying they're struggling to make the phones useful which is clearly not a situation roughly half the market would put up with (which is roughly the market share split 50/50 iOS to android with Samsung being the lion's share of android).

Hence I'd argue there's something else, either faults or some setting/app.. one of the downsides of being on a more open platform is there's more opportunity to have something unexpected but then you can choose chrome as your default browser and other things that seem fairly obvious certainly to me having been out of iOS for a while.

That was my point earlier in the thread, I'm not doubting some are struggling, I'm saying if that were epidemic or the norm then there'd be much more noise about it.

Soldato
Which is made up for with bigger batteries.. we could debate the pros and cons of both forever but the point is as is born our in most reviews/conventional wisdom android and particularly samsung phones in general are pretty much on a par with iOS for batery. The fact that they need to do it with a battery twice as big is somewhat irrelevant to this conversation because these folks are saying they're struggling to make the phones useful which is clearly not a situation roughly half the market would put up with (which is roughly the market share split 50/50 iOS to android with Samsung being the lion's share of android).

Hence I'd argue there's something else, either faults or some setting/app.. one of the downsides of being on a more open platform is there's more opportunity to have something unexpected but then you can choose chrome as your default browser and other things that seem fairly obvious certainly to me having been out of iOS for a while.

That was my point earlier in the thread, I'm not doubting some are struggling, I'm saying if that were epidemic or the norm then there'd be much more noise about it.

For most people if it gets through a day it's not a problem, but I'm just saying if it was on iOS level these phones with big batteries could do 2 days easily.

Soldato
It only seems a portion of Exynos users who have this random drain, I guess something about that SoC just doesn't like certain frequency bands.

Soldato
For most people if it gets through a day it's not a problem, but I'm just saying if it was on iOS level these phones with big batteries could do 2 days easily.

Well yeah but you can go down that rabbithole for miles.. iOS is fully vertically integrated with the hardware and has a much more restrictive OS and only allows you to do certain things and generally has a lower res/smaller screen etc etc etc which is why they don't need the battery or RAM at all. I mean RAM is the opposite where folks are all "boooo your iPhone only has X where my android phone has Y" but the point is iOS doesn't need it.

It's not a straight comparison basically.

Soldato
Well yeah but you can go down that rabbithole for miles.. iOS is fully vertically integrated with the hardware and has a much more restrictive OS and only allows you to do certain things and generally has a lower res/smaller screen etc etc etc which is why they don't need the battery or RAM at all. I mean RAM is the opposite where folks are all "boooo your iPhone only has X where my android phone has Y" but the point is iOS doesn't need it.

It's not a straight comparison basically.

Of course there's lots of probables, I'm just saying it could be a lot better on Android. Hopefully Android 10 brings about some improvements.

Soldato
Google are clearly placing a lot of faith in software optimisation with the upcoming Pixel phones going by their paltry capacities (well regular sized one anyway). If previous phones are anything to go by though, this won't bode well for real life usage.

Soldato
Of course there's lots of probables, I'm just saying it could be a lot better on Android. Hopefully Android 10 brings about some improvements.

I'd argue it clearly can't.. I mean it's not as if everyone who isn't Apple is trying this. Even Pixels can't match Apple at similar battery capacities. It's obviously something with the in house hardware stack.

If they could, I'd expect them to just half battery capacity and stick with the day long usage thing.

i was watching the iPhone 11 reviews this morning and it surprised me they're still on a 720p screen, not that it every bothered me when I used iPhones.. there's a humongous battery saving there surely?

Back
Top Bottom