**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Associate
Soldato
No, it's a fact that wireless charging generates more heat for any given wattage. What exactly dont you understand?

Anecdotal then? Gotcha. Heat kills batteries. Avoid it. Its pretty simple :)

I don't get the bit where you state as a fact something that isn't a fact... wireless charging isn't worse for batteries supported by anything I've ever seen other than your opinion.

Soldato
Wireless charging generates more heat. More heat puts more wear on the battery. These are both fact. Rather than argue the toss with me, go look it up before you decide I'm already wrong about it.

‐--‐--------‐--------

Anyway, its solid advice. Take it or leave it.

Soldato
Wireless charging generates more heat. More heat puts more wear on the battery. These are both fact. Rather than argue the toss with me, go look it up before you decide I'm already wrong about it.

‐--‐--------‐--------

Anyway, its solid advice. Take it or leave it.

I'll respect your opinion if that helps?

Soldato
I'd rather you stop trolling tbh.

I make a living in part out of this sector, I'm stopping short of saying what you're saying is nonsense.. but it's nonsense.

It may well be something that could be measured.. you might be right.. nobody to my knowledge has measured it because nobody has had to.. because if there is an impact it's so small nobody cares.

So yeah, I know what I'm talking about.. and you may as well say don't put your phone in your pocket because it'll be warmer.

Soldato
I make a living in part out of this sector, I'm stopping short of saying what you're saying is nonsense.. but it's nonsense.

Which bit? That wireless chargers generate more heat or that more heat wears batteries quicker? I mean, you arent even trying to entertain the idea, you just think its nonsense? Go on then, tell us why I'm wrong?

So yeah, I know what I'm talking about
Debatable
and you may as well say don't put your phone in your pocket because it'll be warmer.
Yes because that is at all comparable to the heat a fast wireless charger can generate through a coil that more often than not sits directly on top of the battery. Yup.

Associate
From the short amount of research I did on wireless charging before purchasing one, there didn't seem to be any evidence that showed wireless charging to significantly wear the battery. Yes, higher temperature does wear the battery, but the difference between the two methods isn't very significant. For example charging with a case on increases its temperature while charging, or leaving it in direct sunlight or a generally warmer place will also increase wear.

And then you consider that wireless charging can be used to top up throughout the day to keep you battery at a much healthier level. I can't remember the exact range of percentage, but studies were done to show that batteries lasted a lot longer when not charged to full and never let drain too low. The effects of that likely outweigh the increase in wear due to temperature.

Soldato
What else is nonsense then? That the input coils dont sit on top of the battery cells? I'm all ears - if you have something tangible to argue then please do so. You're making yourself look silly with all this avoidance.

I couldn't care less if you think I look silly, I'm not avoiding anything. I'm saying what you said has no evidence to support it, it's nonsense. You can believe whatever you like that's up to you.

It grinds my gears when people state half baked opinions as facts especially in an environment like this where some people might actually listen to it.

Soldato
Samsung charge £59 to change the battery on an s10+.

On a device that people use for several hours per day, why not ignore the "most efficient" charging method (whatever that is) and do what's convenient? If you end up with a bad battery, change it for 59 quid after 18 months if you intend keeping the phone.

It's not like most people keep their phone for so long that it's worth stressing out over battery micro management anyway.

Associate
Indeed that's not a bad price, I wonder what the turnaround time on that is? I'm assuming you'd have to send it to a repair centre rather than having them do it in shop whilst you wait?

Soldato
I couldn't care less if you think I look silly, I'm not avoiding anything.

You avoided every question i asked you. You keep trying to tell me I'm talking nonsense but wont tell which part of what i said was nonsense. That's Avoidance and I'm bored of you now.

Indeed that's not a bad price, I wonder what the turnaround time on that is? I'm assuming you'd have to send it to a repair centre rather than having them do it in shop whilst you wait?

That's the in store or postal price. Typically in store is done in a few hours unless they don't have the parts - from memory my note 4 took a day for a replacement mainboard. Postal I'm not sure but the website says 3 day turn around so 5 working days to receive a working device back i guess?

On a device that people use for several hours per day, why not ignore the "most efficient" charging method (whatever that is) and do what's convenient? If you end up with a bad battery, change it for 59 quid after 18 months if you intend keeping the phone.

Oh I agree. I didnt say avoid wireless charging, I said avoid using it as the primary charging method. It's not as if wireless charging is all that convenient at times anyway - difficult to do much with a phone thats on a wireless charger. Sometimes that's not an issue at all, sometimes you'll want to actually use the phone. Also, wireless car chargers = disaster, at least in my experience with my s8 anyway. Maps + warm day + wireless charging inevitably led to a hot, throttling phone with the brightness limited waay down because of that heat. But still, that's my experience and YMMV.

Soldato
You avoided every question i asked you. You keep trying to tell me I'm talking nonsense but wont tell which part of what i said was nonsense. That's Avoidance and I'm bored of you now.

I've been totally clear. What's nonsense is what you said, that wireless charging is bad for batteries.

That clear enough?

Back
Top Bottom