**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S21 Family Thread ****

Soldato
Does anyone have a 10% off code they'd be kind enough to message me with? Samsung are offering Buds Pro with the S21 range now and I'm wavering on the purchase. A code will likely push me over the edge.

Soldato
Well after almost a year on iOS (12 Pro Max) I thought I'd see what the S21 has to offer.

Within 2 days I've packed it back up, still getting delayed notifications, no matter what battery optimization settings I change.

Have had this with previous Samsung devices and never had such issues with other manufacturers (Huawei, Google, One Plus).

Not sure if anyone else suffers from this but it's particularly apparent with WhatsApp. Notifications will come through just fine but after a while when phone is idle I'll get nothing. It's only when I open the app I get a flourish of notifications coming in.

There are a few people who have suggested to disable doze via adb but after being spoilt with the fluidity and stability of such things on iOS I don't see why I should have to tweak to this level, especially on a flagship phone costing almost £1000.

Such a shame really, may have to wait and see what the Pixel 6 Pro offers otherwise it's sticking with iOS.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Associate
Well after almost a year on iOS (12 Pro Max) I thought I'd see what the S21 has to offer.

Within 2 days I've packed it back up, still getting delayed notifications, no matter what battery optimization settings I change.

Have had this with previous Samsung devices and never had such issues with other manufacturers (Huawei, Google, One Plus).

Not sure if anyone else suffers from this but it's particularly apparent with WhatsApp. Notifications will come through just fine but after a while when phone is idle I'll get nothing. It's only when I open the app I get a flourish of notifications coming in.

There are a few people who have suggested to disable doze via adb but after being spoilt with the fluidity and stability of such things on iOS I don't see why I should have to tweak to this level, especially on a flagship phone costing almost £1000.

Well i have to say i have never had the isues you are describing. ive had mine from release.(s21 ultra 512gb)
Such a shame really, may have to wait and see what the Pixel 6 Pro offers otherwise it's sticking with iOS.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Associate

Sounds like under battery optimisations for apps it's been set to "deepsleep" or background activity is disabled . If you open the app and you receive lots of alerts if will definitely be one of these

Soldato
Sounds like under battery optimisations for apps it's been set to "deepsleep" or background activity is disabled . If you open the app and you receive lots of alerts if will definitely be one of these

Have tried to exclude it from any form of deep sleep or battery optimization to no joy, but I am trying this app which may do the trick:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.github.mobodev.heartbeatfixerforgcm&hl=en_GB&gl=US

Going to monitor it and see how it goes.

Associate
My S10 contract has just come to an end. I really like this phone and it's doing everything I need. I'll save over £32 a month and my sim now costs just £4.50. However, I see my provider, Sky, is doing the S21 5G 128Gb with free Buds Pro for £30 a month. I could cash in some data from my piggy bank and get it for £28.75, I could get either £75 or 80 through Quidco, plus I could sell my S10 locally for around 150-180 (its mint) but but...there's something a bit underwhelming about the S21 it seems (haven't manage to see one in the wild yet). I've got a Galaxy Watch 3 which I really like, so I'm kind of tied into Samsung and Android. Any thoughts? Is there a good step up from the S10 (have watched a few YT vids on this but looking for real-world experiences). The only thing that might be an issue is the lack of SD card slot but the 256Gb is an option too. Not sure what to do.

Soldato
Buying the s21 256gb direct from Samsung will work out cheaper, assuming the Sky contract is 36 months.

Samsung will give you £200 trade in for your S10, then buy a 10pc referral code from eBay for a couple of quid, pay using Samsung Pay for another 5pc off, and get another 3pc or so via top cashback. Pay it over 36 months at 0pc and keep your existing SIM. This way you’re also avoiding the yearly CPI+whatever % in-contract price rises.

Whether the s21 is much of an upgrade is another matter. You’re really only getting an 120hz screen (which for me is important), but everything else is iterative.

Associate
Anyone else had 2 updates on the August security patch?
I had one in the middle of last month and just received another larger 971.76MB update: AUHB. Still on the August security patch

Back
Top Bottom