**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S22 Family Thread ****

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah 10 hours+ is immense, although saying that, it was only a couple of years ago that we were saying 5-6 hours screen time was very good and in the top regions of battery life whereas today even the bottom of the barrel in that test above, the Pixel 6 Pro got over 7 hours.

I think umming and ahhing about cancelling my pre order but I think I will keep it for the very reason that over the next several months, updates will no doubt improve things, and those zoom lenses are supreme.

Wonder if you can keep the refresh rate variable with a max of 90Hz as I have no interest in 120Hz. 90 is what my S20 runs at and gives good balance of battery + smoothness.

Soldato
I dont understand why people are so worked up on benchmark scores, the phone is going to be able to perform everything you ask of it with no issue whatsoever. Is it just a numbers thing people think they need the paper stats to justify a purchase or?

Associate
I dont understand why people are so worked up on benchmark scores, the phone is going to be able to perform everything you ask of it with no issue whatsoever. Is it just a numbers thing people think they need the paper stats to justify a purchase or?

Because it cost a lot and you want to know you are getting an appreciable upgrade over your last device, my current device is doing all I need, if the S22U offered very little there's no incentive.

It is an easy decision for my I don't do annual upgrades so I'm on a Note 10+, the only area the S22U is not an upgrade is in expandable storage because I do use my phone to encode and post videos at events rather than get a laptop out and the videos are a few Gb from a 4k action camera but it's USB 3 so I can attach the camera pretty fast as external storage. Oh and they have switch the button sides and pen location, that is going to really annoy, will it be enough to see me selling up, I doubt it.

Soldato

Totally depends on the person's use. As I said for normal users this won't make a difference and will do things completely fine. Even the above battery showdowns proves for average use it still performs exceptionally well. For those who prefers mobile gaming, this will matter since the GPU performance is lagging behind, and there are some games (eg Genshin Impact) which can push the phone quite heavily. This is one reason why I prefer Tech Spurt as he does test the gaming side of things, even if only a small portion of users will do that sort of thing.

Associate
Will say it's not an awful result on the battery , typically Android needs a week to optimise use. The test there were straight out the box, I also debloat my Samsung phones using ADB so batterylife also goes up a lot once you've removed the crap and also restricted apps that always try to run or such data in the background

Soldato

If I'm buying a hypercar I want to know that it can do 200mph, even if I don't intend to drive it that fast.

Benchmark scores aren't a big deal to me, they don't always translate to real world performance. The upgrade isn't even that noticeable if you're moving from previous gen. But at the end of the day, if we are paying this amount of money, I want to know my phone is kicking arse and taking names.

Last edited:
Soldato
I also debloat my Samsung phones using ADB so batterylife also goes up a lot once you've removed the crap and also restricted apps that always try to run or such data in the background

Sorry, n00b question, what's this ADB you speak of? It sounds wonderful!

Associate
OP
Sounds like people have been picking up the cheaper spigen charger which looks good (shame no black). How about screen protection, ive had a whitestone tempered glass on my old note, but seemed to get very poor reviews for the s21 ultra. Any thoughts? Assuming the UK ones won't have a protector fitted?

Soldato
Sounds like people have been picking up the cheaper spigen charger which looks good (shame no black). How about screen protection, ive had a whitestone tempered glass on my old note, but seemed to get very poor reviews for the s21 ultra. Any thoughts? Assuming the UK ones won't have a protector fitted?

There's an official Samsung protector on the Samsung site but only coming soon at the moment

https://www.samsung.com/uk/smartphones/galaxy-s22-ultra/accessories/

Soldato
You enable debugging on the phone then use command prompt to turn off features change certain setting & debloat etc (you can ****** up stuff tho) XDA will have a guide in S22 section within a week or 2

https://krispitech.com/galaxy-s20-bloatware/

^^ that type of stuff never bother myself.

I'll definitely be adb debloating. I can't believe the amount of crud that comes installed on Samsung phones.

Associate
I'll be waiting a month or two before hitting the buy button, although optimization is needed I can't see it getting close the the 13 pro max battery which is amazing. The real world battery and camera tests will be interesting between the exynos and Snapdragon.

Associate

Apparently somebody over at XDA has emailed Samsung UK, and they said that it will come with a screen protector fitted.

Associate
The real world battery and camera tests will be interesting between the exynos and Snapdragon.
This is what us Exynos users are interested in. We pay top dollar for a flagship phone which uses 2 chipsets, we want to know that we are not getting cheated because we live in one region than another, if there is a big difference then its just not fair but if its pretty close then I can live with that.

I prefer Android to Apple but apple sure have their optimization nailed, that bionic chip is the one to beat for sure.

Back
Top Bottom