**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S22 Family Thread ****

Man of Honour
No reason not to go for it really!

One thing I have noticed is that the ultra wide lens is 0.6x whereas on the S20 it was 0.5x. Images are ever so slightly less wide now, oh well!

Btw what tempered glass screen protector is the best to get? Whilst I like these Tauri etc ones, the soft finish they have gets caught in my nail often which I find slightly annoying as it adds friction. Screen protector itself seems perfect though but I think I would prefer a good glass one instead for this reason.

Soldato
No reason not to go for it really!

One thing I have noticed is that the ultra wide lens is 0.6x whereas on the S20 it was 0.5x. Images are ever so slightly less wide now, oh well!

Btw what tempered glass screen protector is the best to get? Whilst I like these Tauri etc ones, the soft finish they have gets caught in my nail often which I find slightly annoying as it adds friction. Screen protector itself seems perfect though but I think I would prefer a good glass one instead for this reason.

Now I'm not going to recommend you watch all of this, but I did find it fascinating watching the number of protectors he tested, with some some handy info regarding application types, good and bad, and one he just didn't even attempt to use.

Associate
Yeah I looked at the tempered glass. I had a no name UV loca one for my OP 7 Pro and loved it, couldn't tell it was there, and the lack of camera on the screen made it even better.

But for this with the odd circle where the sensor is I just don't like and it would bug me seeing it all the time.

I've got a pack of the Amfilm films waiting, and I've ordered another pack as they are 30% off just in case I need more than two immediately! I've also ordered some from Samsung as they were only £7 delivered.

Red 256 status now says "headed to your country" for anyone waiting for red also...! Ordered 17/02

Another order status page I come across, this one shows no date for me. Just says 4 weeks.
https://shop.samsung.com/uk/my-account/orders

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Another camera observation, there is an automatic macro mode that kicks in (bottom left icon that appears when you focus on something close to the lens, it can be tapped to turn the feature off) - It seems to use the wide lens which then gives a wide angle distortion effect to subject in focus making them look "bigger" sort of like parallax/FoV when stuff is at the edge of a lens that's wide. You can get a few mm away from a subject like the pixels of the monitor but a non flat surface just looks weird and you end up casting a shadow on it anyway because you're so close to it with a massive phablet looming over so kinda defeats the objective.

In 108MB mode there is no HDR either, so whilst the JPEG it creates is massive at over 12,000 pixels long, and 15MB in filesize, it's pretty useless in all but perfect lighting where HDR is not needed. personally the lack of HDR means it will lack detail in highlight/shadow areas anyway so not something I'd ever use.

Man of Honour
I use the 2x option for "macro" on the P6P as it lacks a proper macro mode and 2x appears to be able to focus the closest.
What's the best option on the S22U @mrk
the 3x zoom lens does close up focusing really well and is the option I use. You can even do really good 4x which is computational based off the 3x which is still very good but above that up to 10x you can tell there's digital zoom involved. The 3x is of course optical zoom so the cleanest.

Here's the dedicated Macro mode:
macro_yes.jpg

Vs the 3x zoom:
macro_no.jpg

APW

APW

Associate
Just been notified that mine has been delayed again.....Boo

Which model? My red 512gb only just changed to "headed to your country" after being on chat yesterday for 4hours and not getting through to anyone. Was supposed to be delivered today so no change to delivery date on the system or any other communication or emails.

Associate
Red 1Tb, I had the date pushed from 12th to the 24th, but now have just seen a futher update to 28th, so not too bad. Hopefully it comes before my Disneyplus runs out in April :D

The email had no date, so thought it was going to be one of these open ended delays but found that date on my order page.

Last edited:
Soldato
I returned my S22 Ultra almost 2 weeks ago and have been refunded, yet today my Galaxy Buds Pro showed up.

What gives? Anyone else been in a similar position?

Associate
A few weeks in and I'm pretty happy with the S22U overall. I've got used to the increased size and weight compared to my old S10. Battery life seems pretty good and I can go a day without charging and have about 15% left at bedtime. I'm having to stop myself plugging it in at every opportunity which I used to have to do with the S10!

I have a few issues with notifications. Sometimes the phone will buzz but nothing appears on the AOD until I tap it. I also find that notifications don't go away (e.g. if I've read the email or whatever on another device) until I unlock the phone which is quite annoying. Maybe there's a setting somewhere I haven't seen?

I'm getting a bit paranoid about screen burn as I play a lot of the same game and it was noticeably burnt into my S10 when I sent it off. Is there any way to avoid this like turning the brightness right down?

Soldato
Red 1Tb, I had the date pushed from 12th to the 24th, but now have just seen a futher update to 28th, so not too bad. Hopefully it comes before my Disneyplus runs out in April :D

The email had no date, so thought it was going to be one of these open ended delays but found that date on my order page.

I've had no emails to even tell me about a delay and no promised email back either. Just tried to get on Live Chat and it's greyed out on the chat to an agent option:mad:

The temptation to cancel is growing.....my S10+ is still working nicely

Associate
And here we go, the trade in people looking to scalp £75 off me for 'Back cover lifted' on my p30 pro trade in and provided a potato quality photo.

Back
Top Bottom