**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S22 Family Thread ****

Associate
I was under the impression that fast wireless charging is not good for batteries, and Samsung have had serious battery issues in the past and are probably playing it safe. At a guess.

I only ever wireless charge over night at a slow speed. If I need to fast charge then its done by USB cable through a little magnetic adapter that lives permanently in the phones USB C port. Works a treat :)

I bought a 15W wireless charger for this phone, which is plugged into my monitor so probably only delivering half that, or maybe even 5W (showed 4 hours to charge from 15 percent or so), and even that is noticeably warm while charging. I don't think I'll use it due to that heat generation.

Man of Honour
Samsung only had battery issues with one device, the Note 7, and fast wireless charging has never been an issue for battery health, I know this because it is what I've been using 95% of the time since the S7 edge. Only the S8 had battery capacity degrade of up to 25% a year but that was a known flaw in the battery design and Samsung even mentioned the capacity drop when the S9/S10 came out.

Online it's regularly a talking point and has been for years, but nobody has ever actually thrown up any evidence to support it other than "the phone gets warm" - Even though the phone gets warm with wired charging anyway.

It was Qualcomm who stated couple years back that if a battery and its circuits are designed for fast charging, then as long as good charging practices are used, then fast charging will not cause any accelerated battery degrade - As in not letting the battery get to empty on a regular basis but instead keeping the battery above 60% as much as possible etc.

Last edited:
Clearly no-one here was a boy scout. I just make sure my phone has the required charge for the day ahead. It lasts the day OK. Be prepared! It really doesn't take long to charge it whatever. I charge mine over night on the bedstand wireless pad, as it is my night clock and morning alarm call.

Man of Honour
Not always possible for those who are out and about a lot. mobile reception varies and even in busy cities it can drain the battery more on one day than the other depending on congestion. A battery that normally lasts all day can run dry by the late afternoon if you've been using data/camera/maps etc on a full day which is out the norm compared to the average day to day routine.

Soldato
I've come from the OnePlus 8 Pro.

The charging on the S22 Ultra is pants in comparison, but stil entirely usable.

I needed a proprietary charger (wired and wireless) for the OP to get the crazy charge speeds. Samsung are at least not straying that far away from the standards, but still majorly disappointing not having the option at least.

The wired charging on the Samsung is more than enough and I really appreciate the 85% limit option.

Man of Honour
I've come from the OnePlus 8 Pro.

The charging on the S22 Ultra is pants in comparison, but stil entirely usable.

I needed a proprietary charger (wired and wireless) for the OP to get the crazy charge speeds. Samsung are at least not straying that far away from the standards, but still majorly disappointing not having the option at least.

The wired charging on the Samsung is more than enough and I really appreciate the 85% limit option.

The 85% feature is a misunderstood feature generally, I refer to this post on reddit that explains it perfectly: https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS21/.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

TL;DR version, unless your phone is constantly plugged in, then you won't see any difference in battery health over the years vs charging normally each day or so to full. Above 80% Samsung phones will also trickle charge which is why both wired/wireless (both fast/slow too) will drop the input current to single digit wattage as the circuit is already accounting for charging beyond 85% hence the super slow rate of charge.

Edit*
I suppose the upshot is you get a much quicker charge because above 80% the charge rate is so slow, you will reach 85% much quicker and not have to wait the extra 30mins+ once you get to 80% charged and waiting around for 100%. So you could in effect charge to 85 and let it do its thing, then if it drops just top up quickly whether wired or wireless.

That's a different approach that would work nicely, even with a thin power bank that is just for topping up say once you get to 50% and need the extra 35% juiced up on the go.

Last edited:
Soldato
Case recommendations please. Do not want an already gigantic phone bulking up too much more. Do tempered glass screen protectors go well on curved screens? It's been awhile. Is it worth going for a full body shield of some sort as opposed to a case? As long as it's not slippery in the hand I should be okay.

Associate
The 85% feature is a misunderstood feature generally, I refer to this post on reddit that explains it perfectly: https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS21/.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Unfortunately, they haven't explained it perfectly. They've misunderstood what it's intended to do themselves. They refer to the top 15% and bottom 15% as being the same for battery strain. That's true when you consider aging due to DOD (depth of discharge), but that isn't what the protect battery setting is trying to avoid.

Limiting charge to 85% is about reducing aging due to calendar aging. Calendar aging is accelerated at high charge voltages and the point of the limit is to keep the maximum charge voltage down to reduce this effect. The claim in the reddit post is that the first 15% drains fast anyway ('by design' - they don't understand how fuel gauges work). Not really true. I took my phone off charge at 9:20 this morning, and it's still on 90% at 13:53 for example. Factoring in time on charge this battery will have been at >85% for at least 12 hours today. The effect of calendar aging is small over the course of a single day, but it does add up over the years a typical phone is used for.

Another piece of information that most people don't know on Samsung phones is that Samsung don't even let you charge the battery to 100% anyway. If you have all the charge limiters disabled, the kernel forcibly limits the charge voltage to a slightly reduced value. In terms of the S22 Ultra, the battery is intended to be charged at 4.45 V. The kernel limits the charge voltage to 4.38 V on a new cell, and further reduces this as the battery ages. It's a small, but quite deliberate way they try to increase battery cycle life. They've been doing it for a long time too, since around the S6 line when they switched to non-replaceable batteries. Prior phones charge to the maximum battery voltage.

Man of Honour
But if it's an effort to reduce charge voltage the higher the capacity is charged then isn't that what Samsung are doing anyway with their ~7Watt charge rate (or less) once you get above 85% anyway? That was my point above and earlier in the thread whereby Samsung have been doing it this way for some years now which is why the vast majority pf people haven't seen any noticeable battery degrade having charged daily to 100% since the S10 series at the least. The 85% battery level limit has only been a feature since the S21 when OneUI got updated and other than that was a standard feature of a Galaxy Tab iirc?

On another note, I observed something different with wireless charging in the car. Since getting the Induktive unit (I've opened it up to see what brand the PCB/charging system is but cannot see any brand on there so looks like it's in-house) - Once the S22 Ultra reaches 100% the phone says it is charged and says charging paused. At that point my charging specific Bixby Routine I have set to keep AOD on whilst charging also terminates as routines sees that the phone is no longer charging so this is definitely a trigger from the phone itself and not the charger. This does not happen on the Choetech dual wireless charger (also it is 18W but also supports 15W), it just reaches 100% and stays there at trickle top ups every so often all the while AOD remains active.

I don't have a Samsung fast wireless charger to test against but this is something I've not seen before so must be something the S22 detects from the car's charger that once 100% is reached, charging pauses.

Also with the S10e, S20 5G, both phones charged in exactly the same times from any given level throughout the 2 years or so I had each phone.

Associate
But if it's an effort to reduce charge voltage the higher the capacity is charged then isn't that what Samsung are doing anyway with their ~7Watt charge rate (or less) once you get above 85% anyway?

No. Low charge rates help to reduce strain on the battery in a way, but the real reason you ramp charge speed down at high battery voltages is it helps avoid overvoltage/overcharge conditions near full charge. On a lithium batteries, an over voltage condition could cause a risk of explosion/failure. That's why charge speeds scale down. It also helps actually charging the battery fully as you can more safely 'fill' it at low current compared to charging at >25 W all the way to ~4.45 V. You can only avoid a ramp down if your initial charge current is low enough that you don't need one or you terminate charge at a lower voltage/charge fill. The oldest Samsung device I have on hand is a Galaxy S (1), even that slows down when it nears a full charge.

I don't think Samsung devices suffer too bad from battery wear in my experience though. The limited charge voltages and slow charge rates tend to help quite a bit. The new 85% mode will just help further with the calender aging part. My current daily driver is still a Note 9 which is showing about 12% battery aging at 778 charge cycles. Pretty good as it goes!

Man of Honour
I've forgotten who has what here lol but is that the S22/Plus or Ultra? If the Ultra then that is indeed very interesting, maybe I need to double check what time it says on the car's one again as I was sure it was same as the desktop one but will have to check now. Also interesting how yours is over 1 hour faster than the wireless charging video posted above on the Ultra!

Man of Honour
I just tried protect battery on and off with wireless charging on the Choetech and can confirm that is what it is. At 73% battery level, Protect battery enabled results in 22 minutes remaining when on the pad. With Protect battery off, the time rises to 47 minutes to full. Quite the jump.

Soldato
I've just been causally watching mine charge while watching TV, and it's definitely not a flat rate. It starts pretty quick but even with the 85% battery cap, it does slow up as it gets to a higher charge.

With fast charging enabled on the phone, the charger is smart enough to recognise this and runs it's fan to keep cool, it blows air at the back of the phone from the groove around the edge. Pretty smart.
On standard slow wireless charging, the charger stays silent.

Soldato
So had mine up and running over the weekend!

Absolutely fabulous phone to use and so far none of the reported bugs have appeared - I haven't had a chance to try the GPS in a major way yet but certainly looking good other than that.

Parallax case seems to protect very well and the screen protector I initially didn't like seems to have settled down oddly and seems tons better now as a result! Really glad I upgraded and the accessories I picked seem good too.

Back
Top Bottom