**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S7/Edge Thread ****

Soldato
My s7edge updated to new OS on Friday, 1.25Gb download, installed swiftly, seems to be running very nicely.
It is only a small thing, but i am much happier now that the default keyboard has a comma as part of the standard layout.

Associate
I finally got my Oreo update yesterday.. To think I waited a year for this - there are hardly any differences, if I hadn't seen the update be installed Im not sure if I would have noticed..

Soldato
I finally got my Oreo update yesterday.. To think I waited a year for this - there are hardly any differences, if I hadn't seen the update be installed Im not sure if I would have noticed..

Yep, that's why I don't get stressed over quick updates these days, changes are so minor.

Soldato
I'm with EE and my phone has just downloaded Oreo, 1296.16MB. I'm about to install it. Thing I don't get is, my phone is set for automatic updates and I've been checking manually on and off for weeks. Just checked manually again and it started downloading. Maybe automatic updates isn't working?

Really liking the update. Icons look nicer, power off /restart icons look cool, and the best part is rebooting is a fraction of the time it used to take.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just installed Oreo, and... what is the difference?

All this moaning and anger from people about how long it's taken, and I genuinely can't see anything new. :p What a waste of my time.

Soldato
Just installed Oreo, and... what is the difference?

All this moaning and anger from people about how long it's taken, and I genuinely can't see anything new. :p What a waste of my time.

Exactly. Imagine this useless update bricking your phone and you having to wipe it.

Separately, anyone else feel any need to upgrade from the S7 yet?

Other than phones these days having edge to edge screens, what is the actual benefit? It's like laptops these days where the hardware can run the OS fine for years without feeling slow.

Don't feel the need to splash out £500+ for a top end phone, and anything less doesn't seem to be as premium as the S7 anyway (i.e. glass and metal with 4GB RAM and 8 core CPU).

Pixel 3 maybe as the S7 likely won't get another OS update?

Caporegime
OP
Anyone else's home screens reset itself and all my apps are now all over the bloody place with loads of widgets on screen that I don't want? I was happy with my setup and now it's all over the shop. Microsoft Launcher keeps chiming in as well.

Strange. Now everything is back to normal again! Must have been MS Launcher, only needed to tell it 4 times not to be the default!

Man of Honour
Our 7 Edge gave up with the dreaded boot error and then finally died. It appears that the nand flash can fail after 18 months. Still under warranty I took it into a Samsung Support Centre on Tuesday, they replaced the motherboard and I got it back yesterday.

Soldato
Well I'm really happy with the update just because it reboots so fast now. Previously, it took ages going through it's security cycle but now it's much, much quicker.

Also, I don't recall if this feature was already there before Oreo, but I don't have to click the apps drawer anymore, I can just slide up, down, left and right from desktop to access all my apps.

Soldato
What security patch is everyone on?

My phone is till on April '18, no manual updates available...

:confused:

Separately, anyone else feel any need to upgrade from the S7 yet?

Battery life is the driver here... don't know what to attribute down to cell degradation and what it Android just being pants at power management... *shrug*

I am thinking Note 9 when the price tanks after Xmas :D

Our 7 Edge gave up with the dreaded boot error and then finally died. It appears that the nand flash can fail after 18 months.

That's quite disconcerting... mine just passing 18 mos now...

Back
Top Bottom