**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Time to talk battery capacities and long term results.

It's been what 4 months now and I've been running AccuBattery since day 1. I also ran it on my S7 edge and that phone lost 26% capacity when fully charged after 14 months. The S8+ afterr 4 months has lost 1%:

vkTKYda.jpg

Worth noting that I only use fast charging, both wired and wireless (wireless mostly). And from the screenshot, you can see most of my charging is done from a lower remaining percentage as opposed to the typically recommended higher values where a brief top up from say 60% to 80% is advised to keep good battery health with other phones.

I believe only Sony Xperia phones have another type of intelligent battery charging system that charges at decelerated rates during night-time hours when you're typically in bed asleep to prolong long term battery capacity.

So by the time 14 months elapses, I fully expect the S8+ to have only lost 4-5% capacity when fully charged. Samsung's claim that the S8s only lose 5% after a year's worth of charging is completely true as far as I can see, and this makes me extremely happy.

Soldato

It's been what 4 months now and I've been running AccuBattery since day 1. I also ran it on my S7 edge and that phone lost 26% capacity when fully charged after 14 months. The S8+ afterr 4 months has lost 1%:

vkTKYda.jpg

Worth noting that I only use fast charging, both wired and wireless (wireless mostly). And from the screenshot, you can see most of my charging is done from a lower remaining percentage as opposed to the typically recommended higher values where a brief top up from say 60% to 80% is advised to keep good battery health with other phones.

I believe only Sony Xperia phones have another type of intelligent battery charging system that charges at decelerated rates during night-time hours when you're typically in bed asleep to prolong long term battery capacity.

So by the time 14 months elapses, I fully expect the S8+ to have only lost 4-5% capacity when fully charged. Samsung's claim that the S8s only lose 5% after a year's worth of charging is completely true as far as I can see, and this makes me extremely happy.

Geek. :p

Seriously though, I've noticed that I'm getting more SOT than I used to the past few days, and I can't decide if it's the recent update or not. I don't think I've uninstalled anything....

Soldato
My screen to is absolutely pristine.

Give it time. No matter how hard you try it will happen. When I sold my s7 edge after a year it was pristine. Treating this phone in the same way and it has multiple scratches.

Turn of the screen and tilt it in the ambient light and you'll see something I'm sure. The S8 screens are definitely softer to be less shatter prone.

I'm a fan of the phone and the screen but would really have to consider my next purchase unless the glass improves or the protectors get better.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/screen-scratches-t3595784

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/GS8QA/thread-id/1098/page/11

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all new here.
Just bought myself a S8 coming from a Note 4, that I absolutely loved, but I'm sure after I updated it to the latest fw it went down hill with the same problems a lot of others were having.

Frezing, terrible lag, then wouldn't update or couldn't factory reset due to something to do with the mother board.

Anyway was a little reluctant to get another Samsung, even tho I had the note 2.5 years. Loved the removal battery, and had replaced it a few times.

Hoping the non removal battery will fair well.
Because this phone is superb, feels weird going from the big Note to the small S8, but just wanted to try something a little easier to handle.

Bought my self the official S8 clear case, but I've decided to take it off for now after I've started to see dust etc getting trapped in it, this as caused some small scratches on the top.

I've also got the official screen protector on atm too. So I'll see how that fairs.
I think cases sometimes do more damage than going naked. ( Well until you drop it that is ).

But I'm under no doubt that I'm bound to drop this device sooner or later. So maybe I'd be a fool not to have any protection on at all?

Associate
sorry to sound stupid but SOT??

that battery app looks crazy loll, have never had anything like that on any of my phones

have been using the s8 for a couple weeks so is it best to just get the app now and run it in the background or something?

Associate
Mrk, I'm still at 101% of capacity. Based of 121 sessions with 6907% charged for 208,247mAh total. I charge mine every night on a none fast charge wireless charger but does get some charge when plugged into vehicle headset for android auto. I have very occasionally used the fast charger to pop some power into battery if going out. All told I'm impressed with the S8 battery. Previous S7 battery soon lost quite a lot of capacity. I too have been using AccuBattery Pro on S8 since new.

Associate
sorry to sound stupid but SOT??

that battery app looks crazy loll, have never had anything like that on any of my phones

have been using the s8 for a couple weeks so is it best to just get the app now and run it in the background or something?

'Silly Old To**er' :D More seriously, 'Screen On Time'

Just install the app and it runs in the background.

Associate
Give it time. No matter how hard you try it will happen. When I sold my s7 edge after a year it was pristine. Treating this phone in the same way and it has multiple scratches.

Turn of the screen and tilt it in the ambient light and you'll see something I'm sure. The S8 screens are definitely softer to be less shatter prone.

Yep, you can only really see scratches with screen off. After 4 months there is not a scratch on it. Not even those micro scratches that all previous phones have accumulated. I'm careful with my phone but work in agriculture and believe me it's had everything smeared on it over the months. For safety I'd like a screen protector on, preferably glass but of the three I've tried, 2 were a very poor fit and the third fit quite well but made the touch screen very unresponsive.

But no, there is nothing in the scratch line which is quite impressive. I wonder if some S8 displays are softer as I've read of others that have scratched theirs very easily. I think it'd not fair too well if dropped onto a hard surface.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Mrk, I'm still at 101% of capacity. Based of 121 sessions with 6907% charged for 208,247mAh total. I charge mine every night on a none fast charge wireless charger but does get some charge when plugged into vehicle headset for android auto. I have very occasionally used the fast charger to pop some power into battery if going out. All told I'm impressed with the S8 battery. Previous S7 battery soon lost quite a lot of capacity. I too have been using AccuBattery Pro on S8 since new.

Ah that's cool. Looks like Samsung did indeed make the statement based on fast charging daily, as it makes sense that normal speed charging yields more long term capacity life due to less heat generated.

Associate
Anyone have problem with using headphones? Any headphones I try do not register as connected - sound continues to come out of the speakers. Bluetooth works fine. Could this be software fixable by a factory reset or more likely hardware requiring service? Ta.

Soldato

Interesting! Wonder where they messed up with the s7. I've had mine since release and it's lost 25% which to be fair is ridiculous. Battery life is literally rubbish now and I'm just trying to survive with it until march when my renewal comes up.

Caporegime
My capacity is currently sat at 98% (2,943mAh) based on 195 cycles recharging a total of 8,357% (245,922mAh).

Seems to be holding up fairly well so far (release day phone).

Associate
Anyone using Bixby of late? I disabled it soon after getting the S8. Has it improved any? Is it at all useful now. Have the voice features arrived in UK?

Associate
My capacity is currently sat at 98% (2,943mAh) based on 195 cycles recharging a total of 8,357% (245,922mAh).

Seems to be holding up fairly well so far (release day phone).

I currently got 97% battery health but my problem is accubattery has been reporting this since day 1 of the phone. I never got 100% battery health. I guess not all batteries are the same

Soldato
Had my phone since release day and wondered what people thought of these Accubattery Pro stats.

My thinking is that something is using my battery / not allowing 'deep sleep' and that's giving me fairly rubbish stats.

But I can't seem to work out what it is?

In deep sleep for 61% of screen off time - I expected this to be a fair bit higher. Any way I can actually see what is keeping it from going into deep sleep?

And as a general stat, with 'combined use' (screen on and screen off) I'm only seeing estimates of 14h15m which I'd say is pretty naff for a 2017 flagship phone that's showing 99% battery health

Any thoughts please?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom