**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
Anyone else having issues with the Gmail app? It doesn't seem to do push notifications or sync automatically anymore on my S8 and it's driving me insane. It's been like this for just over a week and I've tried changing every setting I can find.

A quick Google seems to suggest other S8 users are having the same issues?

Soldato
Whats Samsungs warranty repair like, told yesterday on chat to either drive 20 miles to the nearest engineer or 5-7 day turn around on posted repairs

Google just do fault finding then ship a replacement out with a hold on your account for the faulty handset to arrive back...

Soldato
Anyone else having issues with the Gmail app? It doesn't seem to do push notifications or sync automatically anymore on my S8 and it's driving me insane. It's been like this for just over a week and I've tried changing every setting I can find.

A quick Google seems to suggest other S8 users are having the same issues?

This seemed to happen with my S7 last year after a while, I've not changed to the Outlook app which is seems to work absolutely fine. Although it does seem to just do push notifications and you can't schedule the sync.

Soldato
Time to talk battery capacities and long term results.

It's been what 4 months now and I've been running AccuBattery since day 1. I also ran it on my S7 edge and that phone lost 26% capacity when fully charged after 14 months. The S8+ afterr 4 months has lost 1%:

vkTKYda.jpg

Worth noting that I only use fast charging, both wired and wireless (wireless mostly). And from the screenshot, you can see most of my charging is done from a lower remaining percentage as opposed to the typically recommended higher values where a brief top up from say 60% to 80% is advised to keep good battery health with other phones.

I believe only Sony Xperia phones have another type of intelligent battery charging system that charges at decelerated rates during night-time hours when you're typically in bed asleep to prolong long term battery capacity.

So by the time 14 months elapses, I fully expect the S8+ to have only lost 4-5% capacity when fully charged. Samsung's claim that the S8s only lose 5% after a year's worth of charging is completely true as far as I can see, and this makes me extremely happy.
Ok, sold. I'm sick to death of battery degradation, any phone that doesn't suffer this is worth an extra 50% I think.

Soldato
This seemed to happen with my S7 last year after a while, I've not changed to the Outlook app which is seems to work absolutely fine. Although it does seem to just do push notifications and you can't schedule the sync.

I've just changed from Gmail to Outlook as the syncing seemed to be screwed, glad you mention the sync thing as I was searching for it but overall the app appears to work well currently

Soldato
I've just changed from Gmail to Outlook as the syncing seemed to be screwed, glad you mention the sync thing as I was searching for it but overall the app appears to work well currently

It really does, also I didn't notice any adverse change to the battery life on the back of using it.

Only thing I think I changed in the app was one of the swipe directions to delete as I was getting annoyed with it archiving :p

Soldato
It really does, also I didn't notice any adverse change to the battery life on the back of using it.

Only thing I think I changed in the app was one of the swipe directions to delete as I was getting annoyed with it archiving :p
And I turned the grouping off as it confuses the hell out of my old brain... Nothing else though

Associate
Hey All,

I've just upgraded to an S8 from an S6+

Can anyone recommend any hints and tips to improve battery life , so far i have disabled auto brightness and screen timeout to 15 Seconds

Any must have apps? this Bixby i don't think is any use , any method to disable it ?

I have just installed AccuBattery and set the full charge level to 80% as the app advised - what do you have yours set to ?

Soldato

I couldn't find a way to to get Outlook to sync more of my messages than a few weeks, so I got sick of hitting download more messages.

Associate
Just got an S8 with the LED case (£578 @ the rainforest if anyone was wondering), really pleased I chose it over the pixel and OP5.
Careful with that LED case. Have the same case but sadly it didnt provide enough protection. Dropped my phone on gravel and the exposed parts of the metal frame got deep scuffs. On the other hand this case works well with full tempered glass screen protectors.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You don't really need to follow the usual charge level point guidelines with the S8, just charge whenever. It will only lose 5% total capacity at most anyway.

Good news for us with Note 8 news. Note 8 ships with Samsung Experience 8.5 (S8 has 8.1) and Android 7.1.1. It is said SE 8.5 removes the lag/microstutter often noticed by people, maybe not in all apps, but certainly a fair few when scrolling etc.

SE 8.5 is going to hit the S8 as well, so we will see the improvements. Finally, software optimised to the hardware properly.

http://bgr.com/2017/08/16/galaxy-note-8-vs-galaxy-s8-android-ux/

Soldato
In the end i got an S8 rather than the OP5. As much as i love the OP for putting out models that compete with the other heavy hitters, their latest offering comes to close to S8 prices for my liking, though i can appreciate that the OP5 doesn't have anywhere near the same buying power on components as their competitors.

Was going to go for the LED case and in the end went for the clear-view case as it serves a similar function. Also got a tempered glass protector in case stuff got stuck in between the front cover and the screen and scratched the scree. Loving it so far, big fan of the case too!

Soldato
I think V2 is exactly the same but with a slightly different adaptor for USB-c to take the chunkier S8+ and S8 fits. Though some models of the V2 have shipped with the USB C adaptor, apparently the s8 does not quite fit perfectly and the S8+ is a risky fit.

The adaptors are cheap and i think you are personally better off going for V2 + adaptor + your bluetooth controller of choice, rather than their one which looks a tad awkward. I would probably get one with a keyboard central to the game-pad buttons or something with a keyboard solution, for the sake of easy browsing.

Back
Top Bottom