**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Disable all the Bixby items using a package disabler such as AdHell or Package Disabler Pro.

These are the ones in question:

rps20170827_104707_914.jpg

Along with a few voice services for good measure.

rps20170827_104918_803.jpg

You'll also need to disable the vision service since disabling Bixby Vision causes the camera gallery part to error as it tries to tap into Bixby Vision otherwise.

Associate
Had the S8+ now for a month and dont like the curved screen , for some reason when using the keyboard speed typing 50% of what i type seems to end up wrong never had this many mistakes with the Motorola Moto X Play , only thing i can think that is different is the edge curves.
The rest of the hardware is fantastic

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Touch rejection is very well controlled at the curved parts of the screen, and no keyboard I have tried so far have keys that expand all the way to the curved edge either, so I don';t think the curved edges are your problem, more an issue of either the keyboard you are using, or you're just not used to the size difference from your old device yet.

You can't actually touch any screen buttons or elements from the curved edge part of the screen, I just tried as a test and it won't register any touches on the edges, which is completely the opposite on the S7 edge where you could, so Samsung have fixed that problem from previous models.

Soldato
I've just bought 2 x S8's on contract from mobiles.co.uk (EE, unlimited, unlimited 5GB, free VR - £50 upfront and £32.99 pm) seems like a very good deal to me. We will be upgrading from Note 4 and S6 which were on exactly the same EE contract. I did try upgrading with EE direct but couldn't get close to this deal.

Does anyone know how the new contracts will replace the old? Because the new contracts are with EE who we're already with will I still have to cancel the old contracts/lines or will be able to simply put old sims in to new phones and EE will automatically start new contract? I'm always confused when it comes to phone contracts!!!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Like clockwork, about a month later the BTU phone gets it after the XEU and carrier branded ones do.

Edit*

Pro tip for anyone who is using Substratum themes. You WILL cause SystemUI to force close at boot after installing a system update unless you uninstall any overlays for SystemUI first!

I had to fire up ADB with the phjone on the "SystemUI has stopped" dialogue and uninstall the SystemUI overlay:

Code:
adb uninstall com.android.systemui.SwiftDark.Livid.SamsungS8AOSP

It takes a while, but ends up with a Success, and the phone will go to the lockscreen. On XDA some went a whole nine yards and ended up factory resetting their phones in recovery in the past, which is a bit extreme....

Last edited:
Soldato
Like clockwork, about a month later the BTU phone gets it after the XEU and carrier branded ones do.

Edit*

Pro tip for anyone who is using Substratum themes. You WILL cause SystemUI to force close at boot after installing a system update unless you uninstall any overlays for SystemUI first!

I had to fire up ADB with the phjone on the "SystemUI has stopped" dialogue and uninstall the SystemUI overlay:

Code:
adb uninstall com.android.systemui.SwiftDark.Livid.SamsungS8AOSP

It takes a while, but ends up with a Success, and the phone will go to the lockscreen. On XDA some went a whole nine yards and ended up factory resetting their phones in recovery in the past, which is a bit extreme....

Full reset is where I'm headed.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ah might need to click the popup on the phone to allow permission the first time, but that particular adb command might not need it. Worth trying.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
:( That sucks.

I comple6ely forgot about uninstalling the Substartum SystemUI overlay and just mashed restart when prompted by the update.

You might have an alternative way before you reset though. You can enter recovery mode which gives you ADB access. I've not used it this way before, but you might have the ability to uninstall packages this way too.

Soldato
:( That sucks.

I comple6ely forgot about uninstalling the Substartum SystemUI overlay and just mashed restart when prompted by the update.

You might have an alternative way before you reset though. You can enter recovery mode which gives you ADB access. I've not used it this way before, but you might have the ability to uninstall packages this way too.

Yeah, I tried that a little earlier and it only seems to give access for updating that way, which makes sense from a security standpoint. It's been reset and is just downloading all my apps again, minus Substratum :D

Soldato
So, err, I have a problem. After my issue last night it seems that every time I reset the handset everything is fine until I restart the phone, then I get the System UI error again. Any bright ideas? There's nothing installed beyond the stock apps.

Associate
My s8 seems to have a weird bug. I can be on the phone in a call and If someone tries to call me while I'm on the phone it rings in the background and it gives me the option to accept or decline as if I've got two phone lines.

Very weird. Anyone else experienced this

Associate
I've an issue with the top speaker on my S8. Gone very quiet and difficult to hear when on a call. I've tried brushing the speaker grill which seemed to make it a lot worse. Made it so I could not hear the person at the other end at all. Some compressed air helped a little but is still to quiet to hear if there is any background noise or at all really. I have to switch to using the bottom speaker to take calls.

Funny thing is I can hear the top speaker better if I turn the phone around and listen from the back? I suspect the grill is bunged up with dust. Only thing I've not tried is washing it under a tap. Any suggestions before I contact Samsung and arrange for it to go in. Years of noisy tractors has taken a toll on my hearing but found the S8 speaker very good to hear until recently.

Cheers.

Soldato
My s8 seems to have a weird bug. I can be on the phone in a call and If someone tries to call me while I'm on the phone it rings in the background and it gives me the option to accept or decline as if I've got two phone lines.

Very weird. Anyone else experienced this

Sorry to ask the obvious, but have you got two sims in the phone?

Back
Top Bottom