**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
Broke my full cover tempered glass screen, any recommendations for a replacement?

I have ordered some off the bay but these seem to have a square cutout where the speaker and front camera is and dont fully reach round the edges of the screen, allowing grit to get in there.

I would order from ebay again but its a minefield for this crap, as they all sue the wrong stock picture. My original screen was from CPW but cost me a huge £25. I will pay it again if i have to but surely there is a cheaper one out there.

Soldato
Bixby can do some potentially useful things that the google assistant cant, adjusting brightness, ringers etc. It can control the camera and various other things. It also has basic support for other software - you can open whatsapp and send a message to a specific contact for example. But otherwise it's like worse version of GA. I dont really use i tbh.

Soldato
The brightness is useful for me, I keep mine on a manual mode and switch to a very dark setting to read things like books and articles.I often find i cant see my phone enough to find the brightness bar if I whack my phone out in the sun after reading something indoors.

It seems very unpolished. I expect that to change the more it is used but are these novelty functions really worth it for most people?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The additional stuff Bixby requires to function is just too much, and it's in English American still, so that's annoying.

I just disabled everything Bixby again in PDP and gone back to Google Assistant which is just better for my needs. I never need to use voice to increase brightness or stuff like that, but do use voice to put various Hue lights to say 60%, dim them, turn them on off etc,a nd for home automation, Google works really well.

The initial Bixby setup process was also lengthy, something Google Assistant didn't need, and GA just works flawlessly with my voice whereas Bixby had to have stuff repeated.

Soldato
The additional stuff Bixby requires to function is just too much, and it's in English American still, so that's annoying.

I just disabled everything Bixby again in PDP and gone back to Google Assistant which is just better for my needs. I never need to use voice to increase brightness or stuff like that, but do use voice to put various Hue lights to say 60%, dim them, turn them on off etc,a nd for home automation, Google works really well.

The initial Bixby setup process was also lengthy, something Google Assistant didn't need, and GA just works flawlessly with my voice whereas Bixby had to have stuff repeated.

See, this is my pet hate. Why bother having two voice assistants?

Soldato
Yeah pretty much that.

This is what Bixby supports so far: (spoilered, really tall screenshot)
ZO2EJYR
ZO2EJYR
ZO2EJYR.jpg
a lot of potential there.

Associate
Anyone know the cheapest place to pick an S8 up in store? Phone is on its last legs so taking the plunge, however Amazon (currently £537) can't deliver until the 30th at the earliest and I go on holiday then...

Associate
Anyone know the cheapest place to pick an S8 up in store? Phone is on its last legs so taking the plunge, however Amazon (currently £537) can't deliver until the 30th at the earliest and I go on holiday then...

I think o2 does it for 579.99 on refresh - you can just do the usual sign up and cancel to keep the phone and spend a day or two waiting for it to unlock. Bit more expensive than amazon but at least you'll have it before the 30th.

Where are you off to on holiday? you can grab it from the States with the 835 chip for much cheaper

Soldato

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Do I need to disable some of the stuff in Swift Dark first? Looks like some of the stuff overlaps across both.
I'm only using the AOSP Roboto Condensed font in that, with everything else SystemUI related in Swift Dark.

Latest update to Swift now themes Device Maintenance too, finally!

rps20170827_011718_276.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom