**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

My s8 seems to have a weird bug. I can be on the phone in a call and If someone tries to call me while I'm on the phone it rings in the background and it gives me the option to accept or decline as if I've got two phone lines.

Very weird. Anyone else experienced this

I think that's the call waiting /on hold.

I can accept another call while on a call and the original person gets put on hold.

I think that's the call waiting /on hold.

I can accept another call while on a call and the original person gets put on hold.

Ah right I thought it was a bug as I can hear it ringing whilst talking and there's an option to answer the incoming call which i haven't done but thought it was a bit odd.

@SpartaK Definatly only one sim in the phone.

I had a hairy moment with mine not long after i bought it, one app in particular was stopping the screen from turning off and i hadnt realised. Brightness was only half way but it was enough to leave some retention that took a good few days to clear. I do worry about these latest OLED panels given the brightness they are now capable of. They are a long way from bulletproof ...

S8 owners...do you use any glass/screen protector on your phones? I know it sort of spoils it but i just don't like to keep expensive phones "naked".
Any suggestions welcome.

I'm thinking of picking up an S8 but I'm curious what others would do in my position:

I'm currently out of contract on a recurring and unchanging £17/month for unlimited calls, unlimited texts with EE. This would equate to £415 over 24 months.

There's a number of S8 deals with things like free VR set etc for £775 with EE including cost of handset. This would effectively mean I pay £360 for the handset and get a free VR set but only 5GB data.

Then there's the 10GB data option for slightly more but without VR. And finally there's Three for £36/month with 30GB.

I'm wondering if it's worth risking the current sim only plan I have which hasn't increased in price in two years and largely seems to be forgotten by EE for the sake of getting the handset at a rather large discount but 25-50% of the data. I've never had a phone on contract before as I usually buy outright so I don't know what happens at the 24 month point. You've paid off the phone but presumably I need to then call EE and get the package reduced to sim only and in which case am I likely to get anything close to 20GB data for £17/month again and will I be on their radar once more where the price of the contract goes up every year?

What would you guys do?

I'd just buy it outright. I believe samsung gives you 0% credit if you don't want to pay the whole sum at once.

Yea you're probably right, why jeopardise 20gb package for £17/month fixed for the sake of saving a hundred quid upfront on the device.

The way I was thinking about it was that I barely even use 5GB of data each month so I didn't really need the 20GB I've got. It's a shame there isn't a good deal for 10GB on EE.

Out of curiosity, what happens normally when you guys buy a phone on contract and you finish the 24 month period? Does EE reduce the price of the contract to take into account the phone has been paid off? Do you enter a new sim only deal? And does the price of your contracts keep going up each year?

Last edited:
At the end of the 24 month period you remain paying the same till you call them and either upgrade or change to simonly, o2 refresh is the only one that drops the price after you've paid the phone off.

Just make sure to uninstall any overlays before system updates :p

I'm not even sure it was that. Restored from a Samsung Cloud/Google backup but did not restore Substratum or the overlays and same problem. Had to do a completely fresh install.

My current suspicion based on what I did with the phone over the past week is either disabling a load of packages which I don't know whether that would persist following a restore, or the installation of SystemUI tuner.

I'm considering to get a S8 or S8plus but I'm really not sure which one to go for. I've had a play with both handsets for the last week practically every day and I'm still no closer to deciding which one to get. They're both equally comfortable in my hands, I'd say the S8 is perhaps an absolutely tiny bit more comfortable but really both are just about as comfortable as each other.

argh I can't decide!

I also want to double check what the best way to buy it would be? At the moment it looks like buying on contract works out much cheaper than buying sim free which is pretty unusual. For example I pay 20 quid a month for 16GB with EE. There's a three deal for 36 per month for 30GB and free S8. Working backwards, thats 18 quid a month for the phone so 432 total. I can't see any sim free option that low for a straight up purchase of the handset. It would mean I'd have to switch to Three which I would prefer not to but would appreciate some advice as to best way to buy the S8/S8P at the moment

Probably best to price it on your preferred network really. Then work back from there against paying monthly on contract or buying in one go sim free.

Back
Top Bottom