**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
Regularly use ccleaner and close background apps. Any tips guys?
No need to close background apps, it's like windows 10 in that apps in memory cost nothing but opportunity that you might load them up again and if they are loaded in memory then they will load faster. If you need to load something out of memory then cycling the ram and clearing out an old app costs nano-seconds to make room.

Associate
Anyone else finding their S8 lagging after a few months of use.

been like that out of the box for me. I just don't get why Samsung doesn't listen to its customers and put a stock rom on with basic added functionality like Edge Screen and Camera tweaks and that's it.

Permabanned

No, no lag to speak of, just the usual Samsung experience tardiness.

No need to close background apps, it's like windows 10 in that apps in memory cost nothing but opportunity that you might load them up again and if they are loaded in memory then they will load faster. If you need to load something out of memory then cycling the ram and clearing out an old app costs nano-seconds to make room.

Yes, they cost nothing which is why apps and games reload on the Galaxy S8 because the software aggressively kills off apps when it gets near 600MB free memory.

Soldato
It is, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger. I'm not entirely sure how the whole redemption process works, so still need to look into the terms on it. :)

I did my EE upgrade through mobilephonedirect last year with a redemption deal. It has to be claimed in 5 equal parts at 6,9,12,15 and 18 months. Once you hit each of those months, you have to download your bill from EE site (one click PDF option on my EE) then fill in a form on mobilephonesdirect and upload the bill to it. Usually get email saying processing right away then another saying accepted in 10-20 minutes then the payment goes into your account in 3-4 days

Soldato
I did my EE upgrade through mobilephonedirect last year with a redemption deal. It has to be claimed in 5 equal parts at 6,9,12,15 and 18 months. Once you hit each of those months, you have to download your bill from EE site (one click PDF option on my EE) then fill in a form on mobilephonesdirect and upload the bill to it. Usually get email saying processing right away then another saying accepted in 10-20 minutes then the payment goes into your account in 3-4 days

Sounds like a painless process. I couldn't see much info (on a reasonably quick search) of how fast they were at their end, but it sounds good to me. Thanks. :)

Qel

Qel

Associate
Looking for a pouch/sleeve that will fit the normal S8 whilst it's in a thin case, currently using Caseology Parallax. Anyone know of one that will work?

Associate
Just bought a virtually brand new Galaxy S8 plus today, after a nightmare trying to order one from Hong Kong, trying to get my money back at the moment for that. Anyway this is an unlocked one so I just put my SIM card in it and setting it all up. Having come from a Nexus 6, it takes a bit of getting used to but a nice looking phone, already put a screen protector and a full case as I know how delicate these are, shame to be back on Android 7.0 lol

Associate
You're not wrong about them being delicate. I've always tried to stick to a budget phone in the past, around the £300 mark. But after my Mrs got a S7 edge last year I really fancied one, when I see the S8+ I thought yep I'm pushing the boat out, I want. 12 hours into ownership it slipped out of my top overall pocket at work, whilst I wiped some muck off my boots, it was in a protective case, bounced on the workshop floor face down and cracked the bottom edge. I've never cracked a screen on a phone, scratched one but never cracked one. Lesson learned there, stick to cheap phones for my line of work!

Man of Honour

I have always been a Samsung Galaxy fan. Jumping from S2 to S4 to S6 then finally to the S8+.

I could held out another year with the S6 as it was fine performance wise but might have been showing it's age slightly. I thought the performance jump would be massive to the S8+ but I wasn't that amazed if I'm honest.

Now that I have owned the phone since launch so roughly 5 months it really has started lagging and slowing down. Anyone else notice this? I don't really have that many apps installed. All my photos are saved onto my SD card. Regularly use ccleaner and close background apps. Any tips guys?

If you're seeing lag then you have an app using accessibility services which causes lag/stuttering.

Look here at the bottom of Accessibility Settings, services usage should be off for any app listed there:

rps20171004_091718_429.jpg

For the record, mine still has no lag and powers through pretty much everything I do in any order.

Associate
can anyone recommend a screen protector that doesn't have any dead spots.

My current one is a thin plastic "Glass" type and its only stuck to the phone on the edges so theirs dead spots on the screen where the plastic doesn't touch the screen

Associate

I have always been a Samsung Galaxy fan. Jumping from S2 to S4 to S6 then finally to the S8+.

I could held out another year with the S6 as it was fine performance wise but might have been showing it's age slightly. I thought the performance jump would be massive to the S8+ but I wasn't that amazed if I'm honest.

Now that I have owned the phone since launch so roughly 5 months it really has started lagging and slowing down. Anyone else notice this? I don't really have that many apps installed. All my photos are saved onto my SD card. Regularly use ccleaner and close background apps. Any tips guys?

Sent my note 8 back and got S8+ and its lagging a crazy amount to the point my s6edge plus is far smoother on standard software, even loading Instagram ect up it lags

Actually need to send this back is anyone elses video quality like this?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, I've just picked up an S8 I'm sure it's been asked multiple times but can anyone recommend a good case and screen protector combination, I'm happy to sacrifice a slim fit case for a case that offers better protection....

Associate
Hi, I've just picked up an S8 I'm sure it's been asked multiple times but can anyone recommend a good case and screen protector combination, I'm happy to sacrifice a slim fit case for a case that offers better protection....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Pr...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NJSV34Q3V4MXZ6T557QN

I bought this and it's brilliant. Wraps around all the edges but is practically invisible and so keeps the sleekness of the phone and the soft touch back is a lot nicer to hold than the phone's original material

Associate
If you're seeing lag then you have an app using accessibility services which causes lag/stuttering.

Look here at the bottom of Accessibility Settings, services usage should be off for any app listed there:

For the record, mine still has no lag and powers through pretty much everything I do in any order.

Mine is less than two weeks old and has really bad UI lag with pretty much nothing installed and tons of stuff disabled via PDPro. Nothing other Nova in accessibility menu and it's set to Off and TouchWiz disabled via PDPro as well.

Man of Honour
Associate
What stuff have you disabled in PDP? Does it lag when nothing is disabled, it's just as it came out the box?

Something is wrong if it's lagging, there should only be lag if there's an accessibility service turned on, as they monitor in the BG using up CPU cycles.

I other news, be proud of your S8: https://www.phonearena.com/news/Gal...era-and-DSLR-Ultimate-camera-face-off_id94035

yep it lags even with factory resets, thats why i bought PDP Pro to try to disable as much as i could to stop the UI lag but to no avail unfortunately.

It also lags pretty hard in a game called Shadows of War: Mordor. I don't know if its just a particularly demanding game but its like FPS drops to 5 fps randomly every level every time a character swings a sword or makes an action. Do you think I should refund it? Still have 7 working days to send it back to Giffgaff but I've hesitated as I got it for 579 plus 45 cash back which i can't find anywhere for that price now.

Soldato
just bought 3 S8s...unfortunately one meant for me was a fake one, so sending back to source the real deal, but I'm impressed with the genuine ones.
make my current S7 look so dated. my only concern is the fingerprint scanner placement.

when is Oreo due on the S8?

also that camera faceoff above...even if the photos look heavily processed and oversaturated, I still like them better. quite amazing how good the cameras on phones got.

Back
Top Bottom