**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus Thread ****

Soldato
Could someone helpfully recommend a good case then ;)

Any of the Samsung original ones? It is interesting to see folks suggesting any range of crazy no name brands.. it's worth bearing in mind when you understand such things that something like half a dozen brands actually make cases, the rest simply brand open mold ones. So I expect many of the suggestions could be bought as many different brands. They're just cheap lumps of plastic.

Basically Samsung, tech21, otter, gear4, casemate etc or you might as well buy some £1 trash off Amazon, which is fine if you want to get something to protect against scratches but that's about it, in which case go as cheap as you can because they're all the same in a different box with a different stamp and that's it.

Soldato
Yes I know I've been in this industry over a decade.. they're a named brand that buys what are called open mold products.

Named brand means nothing, everything on Amazon has a name otherwise you'd never be able to describe what you wanted.

I'm not saying they're bad, I'm saying you can buy their stuff off Etsy as any number of brands.

Soldato
Yeah Samsung are bad for that, I use a soft touch/silicone one from them on my S8+ which didn't help at all when I dropped it face down and lunched the screen.

Things like the led and clear view flips give you full coverage but the choice is limited.

Mous is worth a look, I know those guys and that really is proper engineering, their media stunts are incredible and having tested them by repeatedly throwing an iPhone down stairs and whatnot I can vouch for them.. pricey but you get what you pay for.

Worth a watch of their vids

Associate
The 2 cases I mentioned, spigen and Ringke, I'll neither recommend or think they'll offer much protection in a fall. You're probably right in that they and others are pretty much off the same mold. Carphone sell the Gear4 cases for around £30. They make big claims about the protection they afford, even demonstrating by banging a phone on the desk - "look, it hasn't broken!" I had a Gear4 on my S8. Wasn't right keen in that it was slightly bulky and dragged when putting in and out of my trousers pocket. Don't like cases that add too much bulk and in truth only have the Ringke to afford some grip to what is a slippery phone. I wonder how many of these glass backed phones get dropped cos they simply slipped from grasp. I like the S9 and S8 but think glass backs are pretty stupid idea..... personally :rolleyes:

Anyway, is there any truth in the 'Impact Protection from D3O smart technology' that Gear4 claim?

Associate
Yeah Samsung are bad for that, I use a soft touch/silicone one from them on my S8+ which didn't help at all when I dropped it face down and lunched the screen.

Things like the led and clear view flips give you full coverage but the choice is limited.

Mous is worth a look, I know those guys and that really is proper engineering, their media stunts are incredible and having tested them by repeatedly throwing an iPhone down stairs and whatnot I can vouch for them.. pricey but you get what you pay for.

Worth a watch of their vids

Those Mous cases look interesting. Not something I've come across before - too busy buying cheap poo off amazon :D Peaked my interest as don't look too bulky. Not cheap but nothing any good ever is :rolleyes:

Soldato
The 2 cases I mentioned, spigen and Ringke, I'll neither recommend or think they'll offer much protection in a fall. You're probably right in that they and others are pretty much off the same mold. Carphone sell the Gear4 cases for around £30. They make big claims about the protection they afford, even demonstrating by banging a phone on the desk - "look, it hasn't broken!" I had a Gear4 on my S8. Wasn't right keen in that it was slightly bulky and dragged when putting in and out of my trousers pocket. Don't like cases that add too much bulk and in truth only have the Ringke to afford some grip to what is a slippery phone. I wonder how many of these glass backed phones get dropped cos they simply slipped from grasp. I like the S9 and S8 but think glass backs are pretty stupid idea..... personally :rolleyes:

Anyway, is there any truth in the 'Impact Protection from D3O smart technology' that Gear4 claim?

Absolutely yes, d30 was the proprietory stuff tech21 used before they lost the license. It's like cornflour and water, you smack it and it goes hard and you only find it in gear4 now.

Those Mous cases look interesting. Not something I've come across before - too busy buying cheap poo off amazon :D Peaked my interest as don't look too bulky. Not cheap but nothing any good ever is :rolleyes:

They're really good. Surprisingly so, again, proprietary stuff not just a mold with plastic in.

Soldato
S9 plus - unlimited mins & texts 30gb data on EE £150 upfront & £33 per month. To do or not to do. I really want this phone but feel like I should wait for a better deal?

Last edited:
Associate
@PixelChef

How about Unlimited Mins + Unlimited Texts + 30GB Data + 6 months of free Apple Music + BT Sport free for 3 months + Data speeds up to 60Mbps + Tethering + Use allowance in EU + Wi-Fi on London Underground.

No upfront cost and £34.75 pcm after cash back.

That's on EE via affordable mobiles.

Soldato
@PixelChef

How about Unlimited Mins + Unlimited Texts + 30GB Data + 6 months of free Apple Music + BT Sport free for 3 months + Data speeds up to 60Mbps + Tethering + Use allowance in EU + Wi-Fi on London Underground.

No upfront cost and £34.75 pcm after cash back.

That's on EE via affordable mobiles.

That's pretty good however forgot to mention that I want the S9 plus version and the deal I found was for that :p

Associate
That's pretty good however forgot to mention that I want the S9 plus version and the deal I found was for that :p

I think the deal you found was for the 64gb S9+ with Fonehouse? The reviews for that company put me off tbh, some good reviews but a high percent of bad too.
There is a Carphone Warehouse deal 128gb S9+ with O2, 30gb, £38pm/£99 up front. £1011 total.
I’m searching for one of these to replace my iPhone 7+... tempted.

Back
Top Bottom