The 'Official' Screenshot & Tips thread 4 FSX enthusiasts & flight simmers.

Associate
Hi fellow simmers,

For those of you who fly on VATSIM, we're having an event this weekend. Details here: http://community.vatsim-uk.co.uk/topic/28129-1718082013-mid-summer-madness-7/

Basically, EGBB Birmingham will be fully staffed during the weekend, from Delivery right up to the London Control sectors.

Some controllers will be controlling from the same venue and drinking beer! Please book a flight if you can. Non-bookable flights also more than welcome.

Cheers,

FB..

Associate
Anyone with an AMD graphics card, what do you do for AA? I've got the game running at 30fps solid even with FTXG annd the NGX around London, so I can afford to turn up the AA to get rid of the jaggies, mainly the ones along the wings of the 737. Currently I'm running 4x MSAA, so I can bump it up. What are you using though, is CCC OK or is there a better alternative?

Most guides I've seen are all about Nvidia. I was wary about getting an AMD card (7850) but it seems to perform fine, although no doubt I will upgrade to a new Nvidia card shortly, the deals on offer just now are really tempting, but I only got this new build a month or 2 ago so I will wait before I upgrade again :).

I'm happy now aswell, with a combination of mods I've got FSX looking nearly as good as some of the screenshots in here, and that's all I was aiming for. Running REX, FTX Scotland, England & Global and a couple of different city/airport sceneries. FSX is really coming into it's own now we all have good enough hardware available cheap, it only took 5+ years.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any came across this app? FMC app for the 737 NGX and iFly. Some of these apps require running in windowed mode but not this one!

Going to try the demo but it looks ace.

http://www.virtualavionics.com.br/Page/product/9_Virtual-CDU.html#nav

Edit: I've just tried the demo and this is absolutely brilliant! It's £13 for the full version but works like a treat. Other similar apps seemed to have used the tablet as an additional display which meant you needed windowed mode but this app has it's own graphical display and simply pulls/writes the data to the a/c FMC using the SDK broadcasts.

Last edited:
Associate
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Am back in the skies....

Has taken a complete rebuild of my system back to Windows 7 though.

Have managed to get a few screenies...nothing spectacular at present as have yet to play with my config files, but has REX, ORBX Global and a few others on there at present.

Have slapped the images in spoiler tags as they are rather wide...i do game at 5760 x 1200 :p:p:p

Didn't go for anything fancy in the plane department as still getting it working before getting my 737 out of the hangar

Only issue I have seen with such widescreen is that the very edges do appear to be stretched out a bit.....can live with that in the game though

Soldato

Great to hear!

As for the CCC for FSX, my settings are:

Apple 21" Display: 1680 x 1050.
LG 19" 1280 x 1024
2 x 5770 (Forcing X-Fire mode)
Windowed Mode

AA Mode: Override App Settings
AA Samples: 8x
Filter: Wide Tent
AA Method: Supersampling
Morph: Off

Anisotropic Mode: Override App Settings
A. Filtering Level: 8x
Texture Filtering Quality: High quality
Surface Format: On

Wait for VR: Always On < - Not sure if best setting
Open GL : Off

Tessellation:

AMD Optimized for both.

The only thing I've done for FSX was to move REX over to my second networked PC. It took a little time getting Simconnect to work with it, but it seems happy now. Not much CPU/RAM % Saved, but it cleans up my FSX PC a little more and frees up oodles of HD space.

Associate
Any came across this app? FMC app for the 737 NGX and iFly. Some of these apps require running in windowed mode but not this one!

Edit: I've just tried the demo and this is absolutely brilliant! It's £13 for the full version but works like a treat. Other similar apps seemed to have used the tablet as an additional display which meant you needed windowed mode but this app has it's own graphical display and simply pulls/writes the data to the a/c FMC using the SDK broadcasts.

Ringo...I have the full paid app and as you say, it is brilliant. Full control over the CDU direct from the tab and works like a charm (tried it before my re-install shenanigans). Reckon it is well worth the £13 they are asking for it

Associate

I'm I not reading this right or not understanding it but why would you want to use the FMC from your tablet when you can easily do it straight from the plane in FSX?

Soldato
I'm I not reading this right or not understanding it but why would you want to use the FMC from your tablet when you can easily do it straight from the plane in FSX?

Mainly due to having the touch screen functionality but also to avoid having to get the real deal http://www.flyengravity.com/page/shop/7

It's much handier programming FMC by touch than clicking through everything via the mouse. Obviously it's more realistic too.

Soldato
After seeing that, it makes more sense now cheers!

The flyengravity stuff is very nice! In saying that, after trying a few flights with the Virtual CDU on tablet, I really couldn't justify the cost of one of those units considering how little you actually use it once in the air. It certainly is very handy for preflight.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Wow so much has changed since I last posted in here (it's been over a year I think). I've been lurking in the background for a bit but have been twitching to get serious with FSX and stop the occasional mucking about. And now Orbx have given most of the UK their treatment (and released global) I can't think of a better time!!

So... I took advantage of the Flightsimstore Orbx DVD sale and the postman delivered Wales, Pasific fjords and northern rockies today (I just missed out on England). Being a bit impatient and wanting to check out the local scenery I purchased Scotland last week but only got round to installing it at the weekend. I don't think my settings are right as it just doesnt look good. Towns seem to be choppy and cut off randomly, I saw part of a golf course in the middle of one the other day and roads were going through the middle of buildings. Hopefully it is some rogue setting thats wrong and an easy fix.

I've also got major issues with REX. I purchased this last year but never really got it working properly. I installed REX essentials, the SP2 update then the latest Overdrive update. Everything seems fine until I start flying in FSX. "[REX] - Assembling Real-Time WeatherData..." is displayed at the top left for a few seconds followed by the game freezing with a "The weather theme could not be loaded. Please check that this file exists and try again." error. Clicking ok returns to the flight until the next REX refresh about a minute later. My FSX folder path in REX is set to the main FSX folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X). Thats the correct folder yeah?

This has all been installed fresh over the last week.. FSX Gold -> REX -> ftx Scotland. Not got any other addons installed. So have you guys any idea what's going wrong?

My hardware: i5-2500K (running stock), 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Win7 (x64), 120GB SSD

FSX images to show the quality issue:
orbx_sco_cut_ter.jpg

orbx_sco_cut_ter01.jpg

orbx_sco_cut_ter02.jpg

Associate
Still getting fatal errors, but only when using PMDG 737NGX....so glad I forked out a butt load of cash on something that is causing me errors.

Here is what the Event Viewer reports

EVENTDATA

fsx.exe
46fadb14
PMDG_737NGX.DLL
4f5162a3
c0000005
0023abe6
19a0
01ce9a597edffa49
G:\FSX\fsx.exe
G:\FSX\GAUGES\PMDG_737NGX.DLL
08cad14a-064e-11e3-a57e-5404a632d585

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14
Faulting module name: PMDG_737NGX.DLL, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f5162a3
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0023abe6
Faulting process id: 0x19a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce9a597edffa49
Faulting application path: G:\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: G:\FSX\GAUGES\PMDG_737NGX.DLL
Report Id: 08cad14a-064e-11e3-a57e-5404a632d585

Have gone and got the UIAutomationdll and put that in the FSX install folder and also added the HIGHMEM into my config as described in a few other posts.

Anyone any more ideas as to what I can do to get this resolved

Associate
Still getting fatal errors, but only when using PMDG 737NGX....so glad I forked out a butt load of cash on something that is causing me errors.

EVENTDATA

fsx.exe
46fadb14
PMDG_737NGX.DLL
4f5162a3
c0000005
0023abe6
19a0
01ce9a597edffa49

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.61637.0, time stamp: 0x46fadb14

Have gone and got the UIAutomationdll and put that in the FSX install folder and also added the HIGHMEM into my config as described in a few other posts.

I would post that error on the official PMDG forums mate and get the Devs to look at it.

Soldato

EVENTDATA

fsx.exe
46fadb14
PMDG_737NGX.DLL
4f5162a3
c0000005
0023abe6
19a0
01ce9a597edffa49

Just check the version no. of the uiautomationcore.dll. I believe it has to be a specific version.

Permabanned
Just check the version no. of the uiautomationcore.dll. I believe it has to be a specific version.

This is the version I use, try it and see if it helps

http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/18981116/file.html

Remember to disable all UAC and run FSX and all addons in administrator mode

P.S just noticed in your sig that you're running Windows 8...Win 8 is getting mixed feedback regarding FSX

Every FSX forum I'm active on is filled with Windows 8 related issues causing major probs with FSX

Last edited:
Associate
I'm looking to buy some rudder pedals for my set up but can't really decide between the Saitek Pro or the CH pro. Any of you knowledgeable folk have some thoughts/advice to share with me ?

Back
Top Bottom