The 'Official' Screenshot & Tips thread 4 FSX enthusiasts & flight simmers.

Associate
Quick question for you expert pilots...

So I created a 737 flight plan from Paris Orly to Heathrow with some extra waypoints so the plane lines up to 27L from the east over London. Cruising altitude is 25,000.

Looking at the way points, their altitude decreases (as expected) as they get nearer to the runway and landing.

So I am flying the flightplan on autopilot in GPS mode but the autopilot doesn't seem to take any notice of the altitude set for each waypoint.

How do I get the autopilot to follow the altitude of the waypoints correctly? I can only seem to be able to set altitude hold at a fixed altitude.

Soldato
Quick question for you expert pilots...

So I created a 737 flight plan from Paris Orly to Heathrow with some extra waypoints so the plane lines up to 27L from the east over London. Cruising altitude is 25,000.

Looking at the way points, their altitude decreases (as expected) as they get nearer to the runway and landing.

So I am flying the flightplan on autopilot in GPS mode but the autopilot doesn't seem to take any notice of the altitude set for each waypoint.

How do I get the autopilot to follow the altitude of the waypoints correctly? I can only seem to be able to set altitude hold at a fixed altitude.

Do you have VNAV selected in the MCP (autopilot panel)?

Associate
Do you have VNAV selected in the MCP (autopilot panel)?

Hmmn I don't see where that switch is on my autopilot. This is the 737-800 that comes with the game. See image...
Clipboard02.jpg

Soldato
Hmmn I don't see where that switch is on my autopilot. This is the 737-800 that comes with the game. See image...
Clipboard02.jpg

Ah, you are using the default aircraft. VNAV is modelled in some of the more advanced addons where you can program a route into the flight management computer and the vertical profile will be calculated automatically.

If you are using the default aircraft you will need to control your vertical profile manually.

Associate
Ah, you are using the default aircraft. VNAV is modelled in some of the more advanced addons where you can program a route into the flight management computer and the vertical profile will be calculated automatically.

If you are using the default aircraft you will need to control your vertical profile manually.

Oh OK thanks. So I would have to buy an aircraft add-on with the VNAV feature or it can be added to existing aircraft?

Permabanned
I'm looking to buy some rudder pedals for my set up but can't really decide between the Saitek Pro or the CH pro. Any of you knowledgeable folk have some thoughts/advice to share with me ?

Saitek all the way. Nothing wrong with CH pedals, but they are far too narrow (for my liking)

I found the CH pedals uncomfortable as you have to keep you feet rather close together to stay on the pedals.

Been using Saitek pro for about 2 years and they haven't let me down

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got the Saitek Combat pedals and love them.

Pedals add such immersion.

As for the VNAV feature, you'll need an aircraft that has it. You program the contraints into the FMC and with VNAV enabled, the constraints are followed.

You can use VasFMC software to follow LNAV on a flight plan with any aircraft with an autopilot and HDG mode.

Associate
For VNAV to function correctly you'll need to use a STAR for the aircraft to approve a runway on a particular airfield. You can create manual waypoints but the FMC on the NGX will assume your flight level will be at cruise unless you manually alter it.

Soldato
At £10 you get some nice exterior models for screenshots, but the internals aren't a patch on modern day expectations.

Midsummer Madness on Vatsim yesterday and today.

Right now, I'm as REA3KN flying from Birmingham to Cork, when I should be doing other real-world stuff...

Associate
Cheers for the heads up on the pedals. One thing I did like the look of on the CH set is that they double up for driving sims - I think the toe brake axis is used. Is that the case with the Saiteks too ?

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Hi flight sim pros. I have not played flight sim games for like 4+ years now, maybe longer.

I am thinking the best bet is to go for Flight Simulator X Gold and a decent stick? I am on windows 8 by the way, will that cause any problems?

Please recommend me a nice joystick that does not cost too much. Thanks :)

Associate
Yes for more realism you should look at either the iFly 737 or the PMDG 737 NGX. I have the latter and it is outstanding.

Well I just purchased it on your recommendation and it's DL'ing right now. (PMDG 737 NGX)

Purchased that Rex Essentials a few days back. I can see this renewed interest I have for FSX getting expensive.

Any recommendations on an A380 and 747? :eek:

Soldato
Cheers for the heads up on the pedals. One thing I did like the look of on the CH set is that they double up for driving sims - I think the toe brake axis is used. Is that the case with the Saiteks too ?

There is a toe brake on the Saitek Combat pedals. I haven't used it outside FSX, but it's a USB device and all is recognised as an axis in the Control Panel.

Hi flight sim pros. I have not played flight sim games for like 4+ years now, maybe longer.

I am thinking the best bet is to go for Flight Simulator X Gold and a decent stick? I am on windows 8 by the way, will that cause any problems?

Please recommend me a nice joystick that does not cost too much. Thanks :)

The last I heard is that Windows 8.1 has issues with FSX. I'm not sure if that's been resolved. As for joysticks, I use a Microsoft Force Feedback 2. If you're heavily into flight simming, get a yoke. If not, look out for a joystick with a throttle, plenty of buttons for gear, flaps, trim, parking brake and a z-axis for rudder control.

Well I just purchased it on your recommendation and it's DL'ing right now. (PMDG 737 NGX)

Purchased that Rex Essentials a few days back. I can see this renewed interest I have for FSX getting expensive.

Any recommendations on an A380 and 747? :eek:

PMGD will be releasing a 747 V2 after the 777 is released.

The A380 has a freeware model by Project Airbus and one that Stevie_Vee had, but I'm patiently waiting for Flight Sim Labs Airbus A320 series to come out.

Once you 'taste' the complexity of the 737 NG, your expectations in FSX will never be the same again.

Soldato
Managed to spend some time over the weekend back on FSX with the 737 NGX.

I still struggle with descending. I'm using the FMC with VNAV and LNAV which should descend for me when I hit T/D. But I'm then going too fast and FMC gives message Unable to match Descent path or something along those lines.

Should I use the Altitude intervention button? Maybe I've set the plane up wrongly, incorrect fuel, weight etc.

Soldato
Managed to spend some time over the weekend back on FSX with the 737 NGX.

I still struggle with descending. I'm using the FMC with VNAV and LNAV which should descend for me when I hit T/D. But I'm then going too fast and FMC gives message Unable to match Descent path or something along those lines.

Should I use the Altitude intervention button? Maybe I've set the plane up wrongly, incorrect fuel, weight etc.

Before you reach TOD are you reselecting the altitude window on the MCP? You will need to reset it to a lower value so that descent will start automatically if you are in VNAV. Usually I flick into V/S mode and begin a gradual descent (so not to shake up my passengers!) at maybe around -800ft/min and then re-engage VNAV when I get level with the profile (magenta indicator showing height above/below profile).

You will often get a message saying drag required if you are getting tail winds. Throwing out the airbrakes usually gets rid of this, however, as I usually enter descent forecast winds the FMC calculations for TOD are usually very good and don't require any drag.

Sometimes you will get descent unachievable messages if there are some erroneous altitude constraints in your STAR. It's hard to know exactly what the problem is without seeing it though. Keep practising!

Back
Top Bottom