***The Official Starfield Thread*** (As endorsed by TNA)

Man of Honour
@steve45 Yeah, know exactly what you mean about side quests, I'm not far into it but every time I turn around I seem to grab another.

No Preston Garvey stuff, though. :)

Fortunately my archaic internet connection (~14Mbps on what looks like post-war era copper kit) makes it impractical for me to download it right now. Fortunate because I have too much work on for the next few days and I'm much too old now for gaming all night and then going to work. I've watched some gameplay videos and it looks like a good basis for a new game setting and a game with some legs. I think I'll probably play it for a couple of hundred hours.

Associate
Anyone else really impressed with the graphics (I'm playing at 1440p, maxed out on an RTX 4080 and 7800X3D), then get to the first city and it looks like Knights of the Old Republic with a high res texture mod or something?

The city graphics feel very disappointing compared to the planets and space (of which I'm only 4 hours in to the game so far).

Soldato
Anyone else really impressed with the graphics (I'm playing at 1440p, maxed out on an RTX 4080 and 7800X3D), then get to the first city and it looks like Knights of the Old Republic with a high res texture mod or something?

The city graphics feel very disappointing compared to the planets and space (of which I'm only 4 hours in to the game so far).

Complete opposite. City looks good, planets had potato textures.

Associate
Complete opposite. City looks good, planets had potato textures.
I guess the textures look good when I look closer/more specifically. it's just everything combined, they way they've made it look in the city, it just looks like a Star Wars game from the late 2000's, early 2010's.

Soldato
Yup other games absolutely fine, tried different cable both hdmi and DP ( even though other games 100% fine.

Try deleting your directx shader cache,

I’ve had issues with some directx 12 games before with artifacts and crashing, clearing the texture cache has in some cases fixed it.

Soldato
You know what? I'm going to buck the trend in here, I'm genuinely really enjoying this, and I have had a very smooth experience so far. I just wish I could banish the damn robot to the ship.
I'm not sure where the fuss is being kicked up about it being "washed", yes under certain lighting conditions it can look a bit washed out, but others it can look utterly wonderful. Yes HDR would be very nice. However, generally I like the aesthetics of the game, I'd rather it be the way it is rather than over saturated. I'm sure it will shake out in coming patches, I'm sure day one patch when its released to the peasants will be huge:p.
I got a bit of a shock when I turned on performance metrics. I have everything turned up to max at 3440x1440. Thought it was performing great, only to find it averageing ~40-50fps, but strangely enough its the smoothest 40 fps I've every seen, it dosnt feel like that in any way, I dont know what trickery they are pulling but it feels like I'm running 120, bizarre!
Thankfully I'm not experiencing any graphical glitches with shadows or anything, just the odd NPC not interacting with the environment correctly.

I think one thing I have to mention is I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the constant barrage of sidequests at the moment, I feel like In the process of doing one side mission I unlock 2 or three more as I'm passing NPC's/overhearing convo's etc. I do have a habit of interacting with as many people as possible though, gotta be sure not to miss anything! I'm sure I will get used to it, but when you are trying to work out the fundamental mechanics of a game, the side quests feel like they are paced a little bit fast so early on, I've spent about 3 hours doing nothing but sidequests and almost forgot what I came to the planet for in the first place :cry:.

Have not tried the DLSS mod yet, might give it a look tomorrow, I just wanted to get on and play it this evening though.

You aren’t bucking any trends. The general consensus seems to be positive for those who had proper grounded expectations of a bigger Fallout 4 in space.

It’s not perfect and needs HDR, built in DLSS, I feel there could be more NPCs in the larger locations and the city could have more spaceship traffic. Some basic quality improvements but nothing drastic. The gameplay and the RPG elements are very good IMHO and the more I play it the more I am impressed. I’ve got to the meat of the main story and it is grabbing me in very well.

Associate

No, I'm playing it at 4K with old GTX 1080 ti, :DI don't have the problem with graphics only the bugs the problem is the music keeps cuts out in every loading screen, also npc speaking is out of sync, docking the ship is a bug it don't highlight docking Key 'R' on PC screen had to crash the ship a few times also taken damage because of the docking Bug and this just a few things been reported on Discord out of hundreds of post:eek: why on why do we have soo many loading screens in one game, but what gets me is you can't take off and fly the ship lazy Bethesda.

The weapons are cool but limited of ammo? Also the weight is limited too:( I'm stop playing it gave me a headache today, until they fix most of the bugs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have PC gamepass, paid the premium upgrade, refunded. The extra money isn't worth the early play time.

Although I am sort of enjoying the game. It isn't as epic as I thought it would be so I'll hang on till full release.

The amount of menus / cut scenes is really jarring. Graphically it's nice enough with good combat but it just seems hard work to get going?

Meh

Soldato
MASSIVE UPDATE, (for those that are interested)

Right guys. I might be on to something, I need to just put a few lines in here, hopefully you guys that read this now or in the morning might be able to understand what's going on here.

So, I think it's got something to do with the building of the shaders. When I first played the game earlier when on the 536.99 Studio Driver, the game loaded in like 7k shaders. I played for 5 hours on stream with no issues, made a few save etc. Took a break had my dinner, then decided to update to the latest 537.13 and loaded up my last save where I then started getting a plethora of issues regarding the lighting, shadows etc. Hours later after multiple reinstalls of the game, even on a different drive and the reinstallation of that 537.13 driver, when loading the saved games I was still getting the same issues regarding the lighting, square shadows etc. It was even happening on a new started game like this screenshot below, something is clearly well off.

dXHMl5r.png

Now, in all that time that I reinstalled the game and driver and then started for the game again to the title screen for first time, I never once saw the "building shaders" prompt appear again on the title screen even on the new installs which is kinda weird..So where the hell is it building this shader library if it's not in the game install?

BUT, ROLLING BACK TO THE OLD 536.99 STUDIO DRIVER - with the new game installed trying to load the old saves, I seen the "loading shaders" again for the first time on the menu screen. This has to be the cause surely, as now when loading the saves, I'm not getting the multiple issues from the screenshots as seen on the last few pages.

I'm so baffled now.

Last edited:
Soldato
@TonyTurbo78 How about install latest, then go to steam settings and delete shader cache?

I think it's an option to download or not, and by unchecking and then checking it deletes them.

Maybe there is a shadercache folder in starfield directory too

Last edited:
Soldato
@TonyTurbo78 How about install latest, then go to steam settings and delete shader cache?

I think it's an option to download or not, and by unchecking and then checking it deletes them.

Maybe there is a shadercache folder in starfield directory too
im playing on Gamepass, ive looked but cant find it anywere.

And fsdnkjlosdklijsdkjlnf sdfjkln;sdfnkjldsfnjklsfednkljfsnkjl;f wsewsklnej annoyingly just loaded in again to test and its back to the same bug. No shaders loaded in, should they load in every time I start, Ive no idea now. About to throw something at the TV

Associate
Now that I've got DLSS and AutoHDR working, I decided to keep the game. Although; this game has the worst graphics quality to performance ratio of any game I've ever played.

Man of Honour

And fsdnkjlosdklijsdkjlnf sdfjkln;sdfnkjldsfnjklsfednkljfsnkjl;f wsewsklnej annoyingly just loaded in again to test and its back to the same bug. No shaders loaded in, should they load in every time I start, Ive no idea now. About to throw something at the TV
The shader cache file is called "pipeline.cache", you should be able to find it at c:\user\*yourname*\AppData\Local\Starfield\
Delete that file from there and it will rebuild the shader cache

Soldato
Some of you are crazy! The game is brilliant. Fantastic story, voice acting, characters, facial animation, setting, graphics (HDR issue fixed with reshade until patched...and DLSS). Way better than expected.

The idea of flying around in space for hours on end would bore me silly, just don't have the time or interest in doing that. They've found a great balance between open world/exploring vs the tedium that often comes with that genre.

11 hours in and it's just spot on so far.

Caporegime

Played for a couple of hours, quit out, installed the latest Nvidia driver and then went back in and it reloaded Shaders again as I'd expect. No real help for you I know Tony!

Back
Top Bottom